P. subfusca highland sexing

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
10904858_778642812173156_39259853_n.jpg

10934587_778642798839824_1052762417_n.jpg

This is a P. subfusca I bought several days ago. It is 3 cm. in bodylength and 7 cm. legspan.

My guess is female. What would you guys say? I know the pics are not very good, but I don't have a camera :(

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'd need to see some vent pics before I'd try to guess.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I changed the sub in its enclosure because it was hardly enough and added a proper piece of bark so I'm not going to disturb it in the next week. Going to give it a rest.

I just remembered I have a vent shot, but not very clear. Will post it when I can.

Last edited:

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P subfusca is not sexually dimorphic! You are asking for a random guess??

-Wade

cold blood

Staff member
Is that t on your bed? You would have been able to get the proper ventral shot MUCH easier by leaving it where it belongs....in the enclosure. Just wait for it to sit on the wall of the enclosure. You couldn't pay me to put a pokie on my bed....or anywhere outside the enclosure aside from possibly the bathtub during a re-house....that's an accident waiting to happen IMO.

Post the ventral shot

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Rehouse. I prefer rehousing on my bed (it's 2.20x2.20 metres) because there's nowhere the T can hide. I can't rehouse ANYWHERE else, literally. All the T needs is a bolt and it will have a hiding place in my apartment. Sadly, it's packed with things so rehousing anywhere else besides the bed is a no-no.

I didn't know P. subfusca are not sexually dimorphic. I'll get the vent shot as soon as possible! :)

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I rehouse everything on my bed which takes up a fair portion of my "T room". I do cover the bed with a sheet of plastic when messing with NW.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You have to sent pictures ventrally. You will never be able to see it dorsally on both subfusca forms.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Nobody going to try to guess at least? Hopefully, tomorrow I will be able to take a good photo.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I rehouse everything on my bed which takes up a fair portion of my "T room". I do cover the bed with a sheet of plastic when messing with NW.
The plastic very good idea,I made the mistake about letting those NW walk on the bed,wife swore we had bed bugs I never said nothing :)

Op your wanting a guess I'm going say female

---------- Post added 01-20-2015 at 03:07 PM ----------

I take that back I didn't see the vent pic looking male but pic is blurry

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you are up for it and good at ventrally sexing, then you can use a wine glass and sex her yourself through that. You will get a clear view from there. I use this method. If you are not good at this, then we need a better and clear picture.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you are up for it and good at ventrally sexing, then you can use a wine glass and sex her yourself through that. You will get a clear view from there. I use this method. If you are not good at this, then we need a better and clear picture.
Explain more about this wine glass method. I've never heard of it.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Explain more about this wine glass method. I've never heard of it.
There is not much too it really. I just coax the T in the glass, put my hand under it and from there i have a very good view to sex it.
It is very good for sexing ventrally, but it does suck if you want to take pictures ventrally for sexing. I use this method for many years, and i get around 90% correct. I mostly sex them very young so i know what i have for future breeding purpose, but i use this method with adults too.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Great. A few more people to confirm this? Would be awesome. The person I bought it from even told me it's lowland, which makes it perfect.