Percentage of die off from natural causes in 2nd instars?

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Hello all,

As I mentioned in a few other posts. I recently had four out of ten 2nd instar N. chromatus slings die for unknown reasons. I usually do not deal with 2nd instars but received them as freebies.

Care Layout:
One good misting weekly
One piece of mealworm or cricket placed in their vials for a few days. Whatever is not eaten is removed after a few days.
They are in vials with a half inch of substrate at the bottom and many small holes poked in the lid.
There is a slight waxy/ plasticy smell in the vials but besides that nothing appears out of the ordinary.

What do you guys think? Is it just a freak thing?

awiec

Arachnoprince
I prefer to use a little syringe to drip water onto the sub instead, that's how I've watered my N.chromatus since it was 2nd instar and it is an inch now. Granted if could just be a freak accident as there are high mortality rates at this age but something tells me that your slings prefer something with a little more oomph than spraying. A piece of sphagnum moss also works if you soak it and put it in their vials/cups until they are ready for caps.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I drip water in the sub rather than mist, keep them warmer ,and remove the prey after maybe 36 hours. Breeding ground for mold and bacteria. I agree with awiec, might have been a little too dry. I think my chromstus is 3rd instar now. Just molted last week. Phew. It also coulda just been bad luck. You'll only know when you make a few minor changes and see a difference.

cold blood

Staff member
I prefer to use a little syringe to drip water onto the sub instead, .
This is what I do. I never mist, just drop the syringe into the substrate, this way I can put the moisture where I want, so I can be very precise as to where and how much. I also keep a small piece of moss in there that gets moistened periodically. I never really let it dry out when they are that tiny. I also never leave the dead prey in there that long. 24 hours max, dead prey is an invitation for mold, and in a small enclosure (without good ventilation), it doesn't take much to become overwhelming.

As soon as they molt, put them in a small deli cup, like you might put catsup in. It can be much better ventilated, unlike a vial. Too much moisture in a vial is dangerous for the t.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Thx for the tips guys. Feel free to keep adding comments. I usually do not deal with 2nd instars but when I have I haven't had them die out like this. I think it was a lack of moisture.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Thx for the tips guys. Feel free to keep adding comments. I usually do not deal with 2nd instars but when I have I haven't had them die out like this. I think it was a lack of moisture.
These were my first dust specs too. I've been crapping my pants but I feel better after it molted. Hopefully it stays that way. I actually completely quit misting everything. Just drippity droppity some water or pour it in the enclosure and stir it up a bit. Wham bam thank you mam snd youre all set for a few days to a week. So much easier.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i agree it might be lack of moisture as we dont have a good enough detail on you humidity and whatnot.. im not sure what instar mine are but iv received lasis, psalms and my n. chromatusi all at 1/4 in at least.. all but the boehmei was kept on moist sub.. not sopping but nice and moist.. as well as had water and was dripped water on the side of its burrow and theyd drink.. i noticed with my chromatus and lasis they loved the wet much more. [psalms was kept drier but seemed to hover over the wetter parts of the enclosure till 1/2"]... also you said vial.. this word concerns me.. plus it shouldnt smell so bad of a plastic imo it shoulda been cleaned... but back to the vials.. i dislike them because vials have bad airflow as well. which could mean stagnant air.. personally id put the remaining in 8oz delis or 2oz with a sphagnum mix [i use sphag-coco could use spag top soil] or at least leave some sphag in there for them to hide in... i used 8oz with sphagnum-peat and coco mix with sphag for them to hide in and they seemed fine to me [also didnt feel right keeping a T in a 2oz soufle cup either]3

so to sum up my minirant/story..

id move to 8oz, [starter burrow probably would be wise i use a sharpies end] give some moss mist[i use a syrenge under the sub] till moist but not sopping and wait..

Last edited:

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
I just found my half in A. purpea dead in a death curl. What am I doing wrong? Is it just bad luck? I do not consider myself a beginner as I have a decent sized collection and am fairly knowledgable but up until recently I have not had any deaths. I toned down the humidity and misted around once a week just enough for droplets to form on the side of the enclosure for drinking purposes. Yes, I know misting is pointless for maintaining humidity as it will dry too quickly. I was not trying to up the humidity, just give the T some drinking water. Besides this I keep the enclosure on the dryer side. This particular T had been refusing food for months. I tried prekilled, small crickets, small dubia, and no luck. I am starting to doubt my ability as a keeper.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I just found my half in A. purpea dead in a death curl. What am I doing wrong? Is it just bad luck? I do not consider myself a beginner as I have a decent sized collection and am fairly knowledgable but up until recently I have not had any deaths. I toned down the humidity and misted around once a week just enough for droplets to form on the side of the enclosure for drinking purposes. Yes, I know misting is pointless for maintaining humidity as it will dry too quickly. I was not trying to up the humidity, just give the T some drinking water. Besides this I keep the enclosure on the dryer side. This particular T had been refusing food for months. I tried prekilled, small crickets, small dubia, and no luck. I am starting to doubt my ability as a keeper.
Pictures of the enclosure?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Just read the entire thread and am wondering if you took pyros advice? That's basically how I raise my slings and Is the advice I would of given you.
What are your temps like? It sounds like the avic was never really doing good so its tough to say its your fault...
It sucks man I feel bad for ya, are any of your other slings doing poorly?

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Moisture is a good thing for a sling.if the sub gets to dry they will die.I keep mine moist not wet ,and they live fine in small drams with just holes in the top raised a many avics this way.I hope your die offs stop

awiec

Arachnoprince
Sometimes you just end up with a weakling, I got some avic siblings and the one was very timid, never ate or spun and eventually just died. While its sibling was kept the same way and is a very voracious eater, it has a little molting issue but I'll be remedying that rather soon.

azroc909

Arachnosquire
I keep all my 2i terrestrial slings in 2oz condiment containers with ventilation holes done with a hole punch and avics in 40-50 dram containers i melt holes on side and i use a syringe to water not mist.
Space heaters can dry them out if not kept hydraded.

cold blood

Staff member
I've never seen anyone put one in a vial, not sure what could possibly be used for one in there.
As previously stated, it will be best if you get it out of the vial and into a ventilated deli cup....I assumed that had been done already.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I keep all my 2i terrestrial slings in 2oz condiment containers with ventilation holes done with a hole punch and avics in 40-50 dram containers i melt holes on side and i use a syringe to water not mist.
Space heaters can dry them out if not kept hydraded.
This is why my humidifier is on a lot and I have a 5 gallon bucket of water sitting, my furnace is 10 feet away from the t room and I'm refilling dishes twice a week, it was everyday before I added the extra water sources. Heaters really take a lot of moisture out of the air.