Getting some P. Cambridgei slings

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
So next week I'll be ordering:

Juvenile female P. Irminia
2 x P. Cambridgei slings.

I did a lot of research on the P. Cambridgei, but I know how some care sheets can be out there. So I thought my best bet was to ask the experts on AB. How is the care for P. Cambridgei? Are they more or less the same as P. Irminia? Anything specific that I should take into consideration? I just want to make sure I have everything in order when I set up their enclosures for them. Would appreciate the input!

cold blood

Staff member

I did a lot of research on the P. Cambridgei, but I know how some care sheets can be out there. So I thought my best bet was to ask the experts on AB. How is the care for P. Cambridgei? Are they more or less the same as P. Irminia? Anything specific that I should take into consideration? I just want to make sure I have everything in order when I set up their enclosures for them. Would appreciate the input!
Same as irminia.

Nice t's!!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Cambridgei grow faster, get bigger, and are usually out in the open as subadults/adults. Mine are good display spiders. Never have run out of their cages. Always hungry.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek

Can I ask where your ordering from? These beautiful tarantulas are on my list.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Cambridgei grow faster, get bigger, and are usually out in the open as subadults/adults. Mine are good display spiders. Never have run out of their cages. Always hungry.
Yep. You told me! That's why I want one:giggle:

---------- Post added 01-21-2015 at 05:47 AM ----------

Can I ask where your ordering from? These beautiful tarantulas are on my list.
I'm from South-Africa, hehehehe.. look at the classifieds/for sale section, maybe you'll find something there

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Fun fact: Venom from P. cambridgei is thought to have medical significance. Certain components from it reduce the chance of having a stroke. Not sure if its true, but sounds promising.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Psalmotoxin 1 was identified to bind to a class of ion channels in the brain that are involved in a variety of things. These channels are now therapeutic targets.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
Sounds like I should get one of these. Dangle my finger in front of it for the benefit of my old and tired brain. Maybe once or twice a week? What dosage would you recommend? :p

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not all components of the venom are beneficial.
Bottom line: The rest will make it feel like someone drives a glowing hot nail through your finger :D I wouldn't recommend it :D

PS: P. cambridgei grow 7"+ usually :)

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Dont think they need to adapt their venom to cause pain when they can do a lot of mechanical damage with their fangs alone, but its possible. Maybe they have capsaicin in it to cause the burning sensation?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dont think they need to adapt their venom to cause pain when they can do a lot of mechanical damage with their fangs alone, but its possible. Maybe they have capsaicin in it to cause the burning sensation?
Pain is only a by product of the myriad of peptides, polypeptides etc that are in a toxin. Immobilization, typically through death is often the primary "goal", pain purely secondary. These types of toxins haven't evolved to cause pain; pain is only secondary typically resulting from the damage caused to the surrounding tissue and surrounding regions. You should read up on toxin research, especially toxin evolution, if you are able to. I know the Psalmotoxin well.

Last edited: