Need help with enclosure

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I have a really nice acrylic 5.5 GAL tall aquarium that would be perfect for an arboreal. However it has no top, so I need to take care of that. I was wondering if there are any sites or stores that sell acrylic that can be custom cut, and is there a way to drill holes in it without cracking it? Thanks.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Bob check around for plastic vendors, almost all have a custom section. TAP plastics might be one, don't have my links with me.

For holes, use a drill, and go slow. A Dremel is not a viable option, they spin too fast and melt the plastic.

For a drill bit, single fluted is best but not required.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My local Lowe's store cut the size you want,for the hole drilling viper is right on.

QUOTE=BobGrill;2349672]So I have a really nice acrylic 5.5 GAL tall aquarium that would be perfect for an arboreal. However it has no top, so I need to take care of that. I was wondering if there are any sites or stores that sell acrylic that can be custom cut, and is there a way to drill holes in it without cracking it? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I got a sheet of acrylic from a rather large hardware store. Home Depot or Lowes, or something equally huge. It was at the very back wall of the store, in slots. There was no one around in that area, so I pulled out about 6-8 sheets to inspect them. Can't remember the cost, but it was fairly cheap.

After some initial cuts, without a scoring tool, I went back and got one. So from that blunder, I had a spare piece of acrylic, about 8" long and 3" wide. I proceeded to drill a series of holes along it, testing out various speeds and pressures.

For the best looking holes, I use a cordless drill, with a small regular bit, and let the weight of the drill handle the pressure. When you see a spiral ribbon of acrylic come out, stop when it gets about 2-4" long. That'll be about 10 seconds of drilling, so stop and touch the acrylic hole or drill bit tip. You'll notice it's hot. If you keep going you'll no longer be drilling, you'll be melting.

From further tests, it seems that once the acrylic gets hot enough, it sticks to the drill bit, cools, and becomes a newer, chaotic drill bit. Cleaning that is less fun.

tl;dr: My best holes took almost the entire length of a "The Big Bang Theory" episode to drill a single hole. Those babies look photoshopped.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I took Viper's advice and looked up tap plastics and they do indeed have a custom cut section. I'll most likely be ordering from them unless I find a better deal in a store. I appreciate everyone's help.