Breeding locusts

Neoza

Arachnobaron
So, i tried to breed circkets but it doenst work, i tried everything! Anyway, im going to try breed locusts. They' re in a large cricket keeper, with cocofibet and some hides, i've put a cup with moist substrate for the eggs, and its about 30 degrees. Is there anything more i can do? Anyone experience?

cold blood

Staff member
Do you by chance mean katydids? Locusts are just hoppers that have undergone a physical change, generally due to crowding. Got a pic?

Akai

Arachnobaron
Didn't realize you were in EU where you can go those as feeders. We can't get those over here on this side of a pond but I'd love to have a large feeder like that for my 8 legged monsters. lol

Bill Myers

Arachnopeon
Its a cricket keeper, so above there are enough holes i think, ok crossventilation is better but would that be the reason that they dont breed?
The cross ventilation will help keep them alive longer. As for not breeding, you need more substrate and more greenery.

Cheers

Bill Myers

Arachnopeon
Okay, I'm off work today and, thus, have more time to elaborate on my comments.

I don't know what type of grasshopper/locust you are breeding. But, this is what works for me when I breed Differential Grasshoppers (Melanoplus differentialis) and Carolina Grasshoppers (Dissosteira carolina).

Basically, you need to keep the humidity levels down to prevent bacterial and fungal infections. The cross ventilation holes are extremely helpful in this endeavor. Even though your container has plenty of ventilation at the top, the moisture levels further down near the bottom of the container will be high. The cross ventilation holes will help prevent bacteria and fungus from establishing a foothold in your container.

I fill the bottom of the container with about 4 or 5 inches (10 to 12 cm) of dry coconut fiber. Then, I create pocket in the coconut fiber to place a container filled with about 4 inches (10 cm) of very fine white sand that I get from a local pet shop. I believe it's called "silver sand" over in the UK. Add distilled water to the sand to moisten it. Don't overdo it. It just has to be a little damp, not watery. This is where the grasshoppers will lay their eggs.

I then place an egg carton in the container to provide shade for the grasshoppers. Next, I cut off a chunk of cabbage and put it in the container for food. I also add a slice of an apple to provide food and ample water for the grasshoppers.

I also supplement their diet (as in, "gut-load") with some Rep-Cal Cricket Food, bread, and cornflakes. Since you're in Belgium and it's not too far from the UK, I believe they've got ProRep's Bug Grub that will do the trick.

Under the grasshoppers' container, I place a heating pad that was made for reptiles. I use this to keep the breeding container warm during the winter months. Naturally, I also have a small heat lamp (visible light) hooked to a timer to simulate a long summer day of 14 hours. The temperature in the container should be kept at about 70 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit (21 to 27 Celsius).

Well, that's about it. The grasshoppers start doing their thing and laying eggs in the sand box. The 1st instars should start popping out of the sand about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks later, depending on the temperature.

They'll eat the same food as the adults.

By the way, the immature grasshoppers (1st to 4th instars) are what I'm looking for to feed my pets. The adults are too active and "pointy."

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Thank you for the info bill!! I also putte a heat math uder the container and put a light next to the container. Today i noticed that they all have molted!! Now they have wings! Before they didnt so i asume that they werent adult! And maybe thats why teysidnt breed! But i will see now further if they will breed! I will follow your advice! But its still really strange that i couldnt breed crickets! Is it easier to breed grasshoppers then crickets?

Bill Myers

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I seem to have more luck with grasshoppers than crickets, also.

Besides, grasshoppers don't smell as bad as crickets, either.

Cheers

Last edited:

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I seem to have more luck with grasshoppers than crickets, also.

Besides, grasshoppers don't smell as bad as crickets, either.

Cheers
thats true but they are more beautifull and i found it more difficult to feed them because i think they are beautiful creatures! But thats nature!

Neoza

Arachnobaron
There was one grasshopper who has lost 3 legs. Normally it will grow back with molting, but yesterday he molted and not one of them grow back??

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
most grasshoppers are actually a pain in the butt to breed. Their eggs dont just hatch, many have specific triggers. Many species require a diapause period, this is common amongst many orthoptera. Some species' eggs require a cool damp period. It really depends on the species you keep.

Some crickets, notably gryllodes and gryllus do not require diapause.