Essential Oils and T's

Sana

Arachnoprince
A strange question occurred to me this evening. I use essential oils for aromatherapy diffused into the air. I have for many years. I'm wondering now that I have the T's though if this will be harmful to them. I share a room with my T's, as I don't currently have a spare room or other dedicated space available for them. I like sharing with them anyway. I am concerned though that I could hurt them if I use the essential oils in the bedroom. I haven't since I've had them, but I would like to be able to if it's safe. Does anybody have any thoughts on the matter?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I wouldn't. Put simply. While some -may- be not harmful, I wouldn't take the risk at all.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't. Put simply. While some -may- be not harmful, I wouldn't take the risk at all.
That has been my approach thus far. I don't see the harm in using them in other parts of the house. I occasionally get the slightest hint of the scent in my room when I'm using oils in my son's room. Do you think that there would be a problem with the slight carry over?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That has been my approach thus far. I don't see the harm in using them in other parts of the house. I occasionally get the slightest hint of the scent in my room when I'm using oils in my son's room. Do you think that there would be a problem with the slight carry over?
No one knows. However, your slightest 'hint', could be overpowering to another animal, or even another human animal hah. I wouldn't risk it.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Take into account the normal natural air the animal is exposed to. Thousands of years of evolution with more or less that same atmosphere. Now radically alter that air with an unusual component, possibly bonded to a synthetic vehicle agent. How many parts per million are we talking here? With low PPM, barring outright toxins introduced into the air, in the short run it is extremely unlikely to have any noticeable effect. Over a number of generations the contaminant will become 'background' and the olfactory senses will probably get trained to not detect it.
Your job is to make sure those oils do not contain certain chemicals that augment the odor added by unscrupulous people as aldehydes and ketones to just name a couple. Some of those additive chemicals make the oil much more effective, noticeable, can be extremely hard to detect in chemical tests, may be carcinogenic, contain toxic metals and or become persistent and accumulative in animals.

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
I keep all of my T's in my room also, I use to have them in our laundry room, near the bathroom, but the problem with that was every time someone left "the john" they'd spray air freshener and I wasn't going to take any chances with my T's being near by.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I've decided to just use the essential oils in the garage, which is where I spend half my time anyway, as all my projects are there. I really appreciate the help!

nurunuru

Arachnopeon
I haven't noticed any problems with our Ts after diffusing essential oils in the same room. At least not in the short-term.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I haven't noticed any problems with our Ts after diffusing essential oils in the same room. At least not in the short-term.
Short term doesn't mean much, especially if they have problems and start dying in a year.

---------- Post added 02-28-2015 at 05:00 PM ----------

I've decided to just use the essential oils in the garage, which is where I spend half my time anyway, as all my projects are there.
What are you, a car mechanic on the side?