Extra legs?

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Now before I ask this question I understand the reason an arachnid is an arachnid is because it has 8 legs where other insects have 6. Now my question is it possible or has it ever happened that a tarantula have an extra leg? Or maybe some other mutations that been reported by anyone?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I know of a lot of animals that sometimes have mutations with extra limbs.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Arachnids are not insects. Your use of "other" means they are insects. So either you don't know they are NOT insects or you don't watch what you type.

Also insects have 3 body segments and arachs have 2.

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
check out TarantulaGuy76's Youtube Channel, he has a video showing some, kind of cute actually, lol. I always wondered if they survived. :?

---------- Post added 01-24-2015 at 11:32 AM ----------

I have a G. pulchripes that has no eyes.
How is ol' Chewy anyways? :)

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Arachnids are not insects. Your use of "other" means they are insects. So either you don't know they are NOT insects or you don't watch what you type.

Also insects have 3 body segments and arachs have 2.
Wow you were ready to jump on me even tho, that's what I said in the beginning... That's depressing. I didn't find it necessary to explain the anatomy of an arachnid to explain my question, but thank you.

---------- Post added 01-24-2015 at 09:04 PM ----------

That's honestly one of the coolest things I've ever read/seen. It would be incredible to own a tarantula with no eyes. I wonder if it has heightened senses and super speed.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Is it bad I laughed when I read this?
Hehe. I had already looked at Chewy's pix -- glad Chewy is managing.

Is it bad I keep checking back here for pix of Ts with extra limbs?
I guess I am gonna be forced to google it now.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Chewy is doing just fine. Molted a while back, and i think its a she. Actually got an appetite now, and will attack lateralis when i drop them in.
How is ol' Chewy anyways? :)

---------- Post added 01-25-2015 at 01:10 AM ----------

Nope not really.
Is it bad I laughed when I read this?

---------- Post added 01-25-2015 at 01:13 AM ----------

It doesnt seem to act any different than another tarantula. But it does seem to be more cautious when getting close to the sides of the enclosure.
I wonder if it has heightened senses and super speed.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
I want one.. Have you considered breeding her? I'm intrigued to know if this trait is hereditary, maybe it's the next step of evolution.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I want one.. Have you considered breeding her? I'm intrigued to know if this trait is hereditary, maybe it's the next step of evolution.
It isn't the next step at all. If you read up on evolution you'll know why.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She is like 1.75". So ill let you know in about 30 years :).