Slings for Arachnophobes?

GG80

Arachnoknight
Before I start, I just want to say for the record that I know looking after a sling as a first T might not be seen as an ideal start into the hobby.

I was having a discussion with a colleague who is afraid of spiders and while she seemed a little interested in my Ts she said she could never keep them as they terrify her. This got me thinking about arachnophobes confronting their fear and I believe that if an arachnophobe took on the responsibility of raising a sling, then over time they would not only lose their fear but would come to love their little guy or girl.

With minimal help and maximum advise from a friend or family member with experience of slings to start things off for a certain period of time, they can get introduced and used to the idea of looking after a spider. An advantage for this would obviously be that they begin with a small spider and not the big bad hairy monster which they think of. Also over time they can become familiar with the sudden 'irratic' movement of a spider and take it in their stride. But most importantly, I think their human nature of not wanting to see any living creature suffer would kick in and they would want to do their best to do the right thing. This is the point where I believe the arachnophobe will learn that the spider is no threat, and even a little cute, and begin to see how facinating the spider is. As the spider grows, I think there would be a sense of achievement and perhaps even a little pride at the fact that an animal, although a spider, is thriving due to their care. As time goes by the fear will be diminished and there would be one less arachnophobe in the world.

I know some people get adult Ts to combat their fear but there are some individuals out there who couldn't bring themselves to even look at a large spider and this experiment would be for them.

Maybe I'm talking rubbish but I think it could work in some cases.

Any thoughts?

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
I really like this idea, I hope it helps others to face their fears and learn that Arachnids are not our enemies but our friends. :) :love: Realistically though, not everyone will be open to something like this.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The spider isn't going to stay small forever so you better hope that they get over their fear quickly.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I actually tried something similar to this with my brother and sister in law. The difference is that they are not the keepers of the sling, I am. They were initially extremely unhappy with the idea that I wanted to bring a spider of any kind into the house that we all live in, let alone a large one. I managed to convince them that if they would agree to the plan, I would get a small sling that would take plenty of time to grow up. From the moment that my G. pulchripes came in the door, he has fascinated my sister in law. She asks after him all the time and checks on him while I'm out of town, though I haven't figured out what exactly she would do if there was a problem as she still prefers him only when the enclosure is tightly shut. She always comes to see any new T's that I get and asks all kinds of questions about them. I'm not sure that she would be able to feed anyone yet, docile or not, I think she might still have a panic attack if the T moved too quickly. It's slow progress, but it is progress. My brother on the other hand will not come within 20 feet of my room, has a panic attack at the sight of a molt, and generally grumps about me being gross cause I have "pet bugs". Can't win 'em all I guess.

cold blood

Staff member
As a former arachnophobe, I say exactly the opposite. Cute and spiders don't mix, especially not tiny ones. Small slings look too similar to true spiders, which are often the root cause for most of us. Slings are also not as apt to hold their position. They lack confidence and have tendencies to run, and they are quick, this will freak out a lot of phobes...it did for me. Movement was the most unsettling thing and an adult, like a G rosea/porteri that's known for sitting still under most conditions really helped the formerphobe in me not only gain confidence with it, but it never really moved enough or fast enough (unless it was feeding) to really give the that phobic panic moment. I also think a larger, hairy spider helps, because its (often) not the type of spider at all that originated these irrational fears are a better fit. The hairs were actually a draw as it was something to study on a motionless t as its colors seem to change with angle of view as well as light.

It took me a good 2 years of owning a typical pet rock porteri (and reading) before I really started thinking I was past the phobia for good. It helps that despite my phobia, feeding the neighborhood spiders was one of my favorite things to do when bored as a kid...I always enjoyed watching a spider make a kill....aside from that I hated the way they moved and the speed at which they were capable....both things I rather enjoy today. My phobia actually began just before high school when I put a wolf spider on my brother and it bit him...the pain he showed and the reaction he had scared me, and entering high school my focus drifted from spiders, that combo quickly led to "AHHHHHHHH!!!! SPIDER GET IT OFF, GET IT OFF". I knew I had something to work on after such a public overreaction. I knew what I would have thought if I were to see a reaction like I had.

Boring AF "pet rock" G. porteri changed all that....maybe it went too far the other way??? Now I have spiders on my brain all the time...the doctors are worried, they say there shouldn't be spiders there;)

Last edited:

GG80

Arachnoknight
As a former arachnophobe, I say exactly the opposite. Cute and spiders don't mix, especially not tiny ones. Small slings look too similar to true spiders, which are often the root cause for most of us. Slings are also not as apt to hold their position. They lack confidence and have tendencies to run, and they are quick, this will freak out a lot of phobes...it did for me. Movement was the most unsettling thing and an adult, like a G rosea/porteri that's known for sitting still under most conditions really helped the formerphobe in me not only gain confidence with it, but it never really moved enough or fast enough (unless it was feeding) to really give the that phobic panic moment. I also think a larger, hairy spider helps, because its (often) not the type of spider at all that originated these irrational fears are a better fit. The hairs were actually a draw as it was something to study on a motionless t as its colors seem to change with angle of view as well as light.

It took me a good 2 years of owning a typical pet rock porteri (and reading) before I really started thinking I was past the phobia for good. It helps that despite my phobia, feeding the neighborhood spiders was one of my favorite things to do when bored as a kid...I always enjoyed watching a spider make a kill....aside from that I hated the way they moved and the speed at which they were capable....both things I rather enjoy today. My phobia actually began just before high school when I put a wolf spider on my brother and it bit him...the pain he showed and the reaction he had scared me, and entering high school my focus drifted from spiders, that combo quickly led to "AHHHHHHHH!!!! SPIDER GET IT OFF, GET IT OFF". I knew I had something to work on after such a public overreaction. I knew what I would have thought if I were to see a reaction like I had.

Boring AF "pet rock" G. porteri changed all that....maybe it went too far the other way??? Now I have spiders on my brain all the time...the doctors are worried, they say there shouldn't be spiders there;)
I hear what you're saying. I was doing a little research a few months ago on why fear of spiders is so common. As you said, the quick, irratic and unpredictable movement was a major factor along with dark colours and angular shaped legs. Apparently humans are hardwired to be more comfortable with curved and straight shapes ie, squares, triangles, circles etc.

My feeling is by being exposed to these things and being in a situation where the sling depends on an individual for survival may, and I stress the word MAY, cause the individual in question to become less sensitive to the fear.

I know it's easy for someone who doesn't suffer or never suffered from arachnophopia, or any sort of phobia to say these things as I have no experience of what it is like to be exposed to something that terrifies me. But as I said, this is just a thought that has been going around my head. I would like to hear the thoughs from members who were or even still are arachnophobic.

Spaceblues

Arachnopeon
I grew up out in the country where every outbuilding, woodpile, barn, etc had black widows and brown recluses in them, and I was always told by my parents that they will kill you if you get bitten. Because of that I grew up terrified of any spider, period.

About two years ago we had a huge crop of orbweavers hatch out on our back porch, and since our yard is entirely organic, they thrived. They were everywhere. Every. Where.

I let them stay because I kept telling myself that they helped keep the flies down that are attracted to the rabbit cage on the porch. Before long I became fascinated by them and I wanted to work on getting over my phobia.

I got a small KK and caught one early one morning and brought it inside. I put it next to my recliner so I could observe it. Any time it sensed movement it would drop like a rock to the bottom and I would think it was dead. I researched this and learned that this was a defense mechanism that they had to protect them. This defense mechanism really got me to thinking differently about spiders in general - that they weren't constantly stalking us and thinking all day long about killing us.

I released it back to the porch the next day so that it could continue to munch those pesky flies.

Fast forward to a few months ago when I got my first T's. I went with tiny pulchra, pulchripes, and a juvie E. sp red (which my collection has now doubled in size with several other species). The pulchra are the tiniest and I thought I'd be most comfortable with them due to their size, but as little slings they dart and dash all the time which was unsettling at first.

The slower, much more deliberate movements of the other larger specimens were way easier to get used to. Like CB said, they also resemble what we recognize as tarantulas rather than a true spider which was the source of my phobia.

TL;DR - in my experience when dealing with phobia it was best to go with a larger T, like 1.5" or so since it is calmer and is beginning to resemble a T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GG80

Arachnoknight
I grew up out in the country where every outbuilding, woodpile, barn, etc had black widows and brown recluses in them, and I was always told by my parents that they will kill you if you get bitten. Because of that I grew up terrified of any spider, period.

About two years ago we had a huge crop of orbweavers hatch out on our back porch, and since our yard is entirely organic, they thrived. They were everywhere. Every. Where.

I let them stay because I kept telling myself that they helped keep the flies down that are attracted to the rabbit cage on the porch. Before long I became fascinated by them and I wanted to work on getting over my phobia.

I got a small KK and caught one early one morning and brought it inside. I put it next to my recliner so I could observe it. Any time it sensed movement it would drop like a rock to the bottom and I would think it was dead. I researched this and learned that this was a defense mechanism that they had to protect them. This defense mechanism really got me to thinking differently about spiders in general - that they weren't constantly stalking us and thinking all day long about killing us.

I released it back to the porch the next day so that it could continue to munch those pesky flies.

Fast forward to a few months ago when I got my first T's. I went with tiny pulchra, pulchripes, and a juvie E. sp red (which my collection has now doubled in size with several other species). The pulchra are the tiniest and I thought I'd be most comfortable with them due to their size, but as little slings they dart and dash all the time which was unsettling at first.

The slower, much more deliberate movements of the other larger specimens were way easier to get used to. Like CB said, they also resemble what we recognize as tarantulas rather than a true spider which was the source of my phobia.

TL;DR - in my experience when dealing with phobia it was best to go with a larger T, like 1.5" or so since it is calmer and is beginning to resemble a T.

Interesting post. As I said, I never had a fear of spiders so I failed to realise that the size of the spider doesn't seem to be a major factor. Thanks for sharing your story.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Arachnophobia can be crippling and hard to overcome. And it has to be the phobes decision to deal with it.
I began by catching random spiders in the house and releasing them outside before I finally decided to get a T. But if anyone in anyway had tried to force me to face a spider before I was ready, I would have been very upset and disturbed. Who doesn't remember recess in 3rd grade where some boy catches some spider waves it around, especially in the direction of screaming girls? SO not funny.
It has to be the arachnophobes idea to work on their fear You can't heal someone against their will. And had someone told me 10 years ago I'd get a tarantula one day, I'd have said they were crazy!
If a huge black spider suddenly walked across the room in my house today -- I would still be frightened, at least for a few seconds while I accepted the fact I had to deal with him. I can tell you for sure, he couldn't just be ignored and me go about my routine! And I've held my Rosie who would likely be larger than any wandering spider to come in my house -- but she is a pet I chose, it's different. That huge surprise spider would probably bring out some of my arachnophobia. If I felt I wasn't at a point to capture it myself, I have friends and good neighbors to call for help.
Arachnophobia didn't go away overnight for me. But somehow, Ts seem safer to me. Others have them, whereas a stray spider, for me, is an unknown element and therefore scarier.

Spaceblues

Arachnopeon
Others have them, whereas a stray spider, for me, is an unknown element and therefore scarier.
I think that's a fantastic point. I know what T's I have. I know what their behavior is like and what they are capable and not capable of doing so they don't bother me.

Pulling back the covers to get in bed and see a little brown unidentified spider scurry off down the side of the mattress as one did a few weeks ago? Whole different story.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Small slings look too similar to true spiders, which are often the root cause for most of us....have tendencies to run, and they are quick, this will freak out a lot of phobes...it did for me. Movement was the most unsettling thing
Yes, yes, and yes.

Edited to add: well, I admit a tiny tiny A avic wasn't scary to me -- c'mon it was pink and sort cute.
But OBT sling, G pulchripes sling -- yeah -- like true spiders!

Last edited:

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
Thats what I have done. I was scared of spiders. After purchasi ng a sling I began to research not only spiders but many other bugs like scorpions and millopedes and I have learned the facts and am no longer afraid of spiders I find around the house

GG80

Arachnoknight
Some good and interesting responses. @Ellenantula, I would never force someone to face their phobia if they weren't ready, it would be mearly a suggestion. I can appreciate what you and Spaceblues say about the difference between your pet and a random wild spider appearing in your room. I forgot to mention that I live in Ireland where there is absolutely no native spider species with significant venom so there is no threat whatsoever from a wild spider. Perhaps this is a factor in my lack of phobia.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
@Ellenantula, I would never force someone to face their phobia if they weren't ready, it would be mearly a suggestion.
I'm sure you wouldn't intentionally, I think you are trying to be helpful.
Truthfully, my phobia has been so bad in the past, just someone suggesting I try to overcome it, and perhaps suggesting I get a baby T would have me paranoid they might try to force a cure on me. Even if that wasn't their intention at all. Reasonable people discuss things in a polite and well argued way. But phobias are, um, irrational in nature. So don't be too surprised if you meet with unreasonable reluctance by some to even discuss the possibility of getting a sling.
Phobics just have to decide for themselves when they are ready and go at their own pace.
Kudos for trying to help others. It's a horrible affliction if you live where there are lots of spiders!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that most people who claim to have Arachnophobia don't really have it. There's a difference between having legit Arachnophobia and just being afraid of spiders due to being ignorant and/or uneducated.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I think that most people who claim to have Arachnophobia don't really have it. There's a difference between having legit Arachnophobia and just being afraid of spiders due to being ignorant and/or uneducated.
I sort of agree with what you're saying. My mother, sister and brother are so terrified by spiders and I see first hand how crippling it can be. Every Autumn when the big house spiders let there presence known they litterally can't relax because they know it's only a matter of time before they see a 4-5 inch spider on the wall.

My sister and brother however, while still afraid of spiders, will ask about my Ts and visit me to see my slings progress and I feel that while they might never get over their fear, they are willing to at least be around my Ts and in some way, respect and are a little facinated by them. My mother on the other hand hasn't visited me since I got Ts and refuses to come to my place. She is what I would consider 'un-savable' and it pains me to see how she suffers from arachnophobia.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Phobic behavior

I refused to play in the playhouse my father built me as a child because my brother drew 'lines' coming out from around nail heads on the walls, making them look like daddy-long legs.

Living in Charlottesville VA in 1989, I came home from work late (midnight'ish) and I lived alone -- there was a huge spider in the middle of my living room (huge=7" or 8" but was probably really 2" -- phobics exaggerate the size in their minds).
So, I couldn't enter my apt. I saw this stranger, a man I did not know, who happened to be walking on the sidewalk, and I yelled "help" and he came over to help me.
He went into my apt, killed the spider, caught it with tissue from my coffee table, carried the tissue with the spider outside the apt with him while promising me it was dead and then he left.
This strange man could have been black or white, tall or short, fat or thin -- he was my savior that night. He killed the spider, and got it out of my apt for me.
Arachnophobia.
I could have been raped or killed. No single woman in her 20s lets a strange man off the sidewalk into their home, alone late at night, because of a spider.
I repeat this story to my shame, but just to point out that arachnophobia is irrational.
It was only a black widow bite that helped me see that even "worse case scenario" maybe spiders weren't as dangerous as I thought.
I am much improved today. But I don't know if you ever reach a point where you are completely recovered. You just cope and deal better. And it helps to want to overcome it.
And a sweet T like Rosie helps a lot too. :)

Sana

Arachnoprince
I refused to play in the playhouse my father built me as a child because my brother drew 'lines' coming out from around nail heads on the walls, making them look like daddy-long legs.

Living in Charlottesville VA in 1989, I came home from work late (midnight'ish) and I lived alone -- there was a huge spider in the middle of my living room (huge=7" or 8" but was probably really 2" -- phobics exaggerate the size in their minds).
So, I couldn't enter my apt. I saw this stranger, a man I did not know, who happened to be walking on the sidewalk, and I yelled "help" and he came over to help me.
He went into my apt, killed the spider, caught it with tissue from my coffee table, carried the tissue with the spider outside the apt with him while promising me it was dead and then he left.
This strange man could have been black or white, tall or short, fat or thin -- he was my savior that night. He killed the spider, and got it out of my apt for me.
Arachnophobia.
I could have been raped or killed. No single woman in her 20s lets a strange man off the sidewalk into their home, alone late at night, because of a spider.
I repeat this story to my shame, but just to point out that arachnophobia is irrational.
It was only a black widow bite that helped me see that even "worse case scenario" maybe spiders weren't as dangerous as I thought.
I am much improved today. But I don't know if you ever reach a point where you are completely recovered. You just cope and deal better. And it helps to want to overcome it.
And a sweet T like Rosie helps a lot too. :)
I don't think that you should feel ashamed or embarrassed over a phobia. You should be extremely proud of yourself and the huge accomplishment of how far you've come.

noxylophone

Arachnopeon
I had a similar thought re: my H. carolinensis slings. My ex-girlfriend is intensely phobic, will have full on hyperventilating panic-attack responses to just about any spider other than a phlocus. I attempted to show her one of the slings, and suggested she might try keeping one as a way to start getting over her phobia. Nope. She took one look at a tiny little sling and went into full response mode.

Oh well, can't say I didn't try.