Co2 for Aquarium question

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I run a mini 4 gallon iwagumi tank with a couple cherry shrimp and some endlers, and this tank is also the first one I am attempting to run CO2 on using a mini kit. The kit uses those 20 gram CO2 cartridges, a diffusion chamber, a regulator etc. and It's been running for a couple months now. Well, the CO2 cartridge is running out and I don't want to spend a good $20-30 for a 3 pack of those FLUVAL 20g bottles, so I got to thinking, and I remembered that I have at least thirty 20g CO2 cartridges in my closet that I store my Airsoft supplies in. My questions is if these would be safe to use in a tank? I know people use those gigantic paintball canisters for larger tanks and refill them at paintball parks (I believe) but would those little bottles I get for 50c each be safe to use? They're threaded the same and are all the same size, I'm just worried the manufacturer might include another gas in there with them. Anyone else do the same?

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
I've heard of people using those canisters. To the best of my knowledge, there is only CO2 in them.

cold blood

Staff member
Question, why would you want/need to add co2?

In fisheries we use it to anesthetize fish prior to working with them.

I'm obviously missing or overlooking something.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
it is for the plants mainly. and a necesity if you are like myself and feel you NEED 10,000k lights XD it realy doesnt help much elese besides plant growth. if you want bubbles get a little pump tho.. but im sure itl work.. iv seen people jimmy rid airsoft co2 for gas chambers to kill off feeder rodents, im nto sure how long theyd last tho but imo not worth it i do diy and use yeast and sugar. my buddy has a 400g custom [only 2ft tall] and goes thru about a large gas tank a month on his tank with low plants i think its a 30-40lb tank

cold blood

Staff member
I figured I was overlooking something obvious....plants, there it is, thanks guys!!

I never did that and you could almost watch my plants grow....they did get a lot of light though.....and I was using milfoil, which grows at a ridiculous pace. I would have to cut it back monthly. I can't imagine the growth had I injected co2.

I assume you need to keep the levels low to keep from effecting the fish?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I figured I was overlooking something obvious....plants, there it is, thanks guys!!

I never did that and you could almost watch my plants grow....they did get a lot of light though.....and I was using milfoil, which grows at a ridiculous pace. I would have to cut it back monthly. I can't imagine the growth had I injected co2.

I assume you need to keep the levels low to keep from effecting the fish?
Some plants give off CO2. Work on a balanced environment. I've seen terrariums filled with vibrant healthy plant life where virtually no animals can thrive and grow as the majority of the plants were oxygen consumers.
CO2 will not directly effect fish as it doesn't readily dissolve in H2O. Controlling acidity controls N and CO2 in the water.