My First Save

Dochardee

Arachnopeon
So I was out of state visiting my family and we had to stop at the local petsmart in Waldorf, Maryland. While my grandfather was getting dog food I was browsing and found that they had 2 T's. I know there are tons of horror stories about big box stores and T's. Where I am from the big pet stores never have them. Anyway they had an 2.5 in Avic Avic and a 5in G.Porteri in horrid setups. First they both are in heavy pre molt, had crickets crawling all over them, sponges covered in mildew, and to top in all off they had them in the smallest critter keeper possible so they were cramped up. The Avic has one missing leg and another is deformed. The person running that section of the store got an attuide with me when I asked her for the two T's and called over a male associate to assist me and said to him to get those gross creatures out for me. So the male associate helped me get them and started talking to me about tarantulas.He made a comment about getting a "tiger rump" or a colbalt blue in the store, he said he would be so excited to have a T like that in the store. I said I wouldn't get anymore because you were killing the ones you had to begin with and that large stores like this shouldn't carry them if they can't care for them properly. So I walked over to the manager and demanded a discount for a damaged animial....got 10% off for both of them. No they are home with me and properly housed and I am awaiting molts. I cannot stress how disgusted I am with the level of care these poor Ts were getting.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's nice you saved them but unfortunately they will be replaced with other T's that will have to endure those same conditions. Try speaking with the manager next and telling them how the T's need to be kept and maybe they will do something about it. They most likely won't but it never hurts. Spread the knowledge of proper care and husbandry whenever you can.

Dochardee

Arachnopeon
I did attempt to talk to the manager about how to properly care for them. The manager entertained me but she really could care less about it. I know they will replace them, but I just couldn't let them die like that, If did I would have never forgiven myself. I am calling the district manager this morning to complain about the manager and the two associates that assisted me and I will try to see if they will listen about the proper care and husbandry.

I did go to a LPS while I was out visiting as well, they had bad setups as well, I talked to the owner and hr let me help do the setups properly.He said that they just started stocking NW T's and wasn't sure how to house them. I guess you win some and lose some.

Last edited:

Sana

Arachnoprince
I did attempt to talk to the manager about how to properly care for them. The manager entertained me but she really could care less about it. I know they will replace them, but I just couldn't let them die like that, If did I would have never forgiven myself. I am calling the district manager this morning to complain about the manager and the two associates that assisted me and I will try to see if they will listen about the proper care and husbandry.

I did go to a LPS while I was out visiting as well, they had bad setups as well, I talked to the owner and hr let me help do the setups properly.He said that they just started stocking NW T's and wasn't sure how to house them. I guess you win some and lose some.
Maybe there is hope for the world of the LPS yet.