Logs / sticks

Psingletongolf

Arachnopeon
Anything special need to be done to use theese? I grabbed one outside after seeing the rediculous prices for small fake ones. Side note it is about -20 c here or so so would that eliminate having to bake them?

SoHum

Arachnopeon
At temps that low I'd expect anything on a macro level to die. That said, if the sticks are small I like to pasteurize in a steam bath because it leaves some beneficial bacteria intact. That said, baking is probably simpler.

Psingletongolf

Arachnopeon
At temps that low I'd expect anything on a macro level to die. That said, if the sticks are small I like to pasteurize in a steam bath because it leaves some beneficial bacteria intact. That said, baking is probably simpler.
So you would still bake even with thoose freezing temps?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd bake and microwave it. I always microwave, let those bug's guts explode! I realize that's overkill, it can't hurt.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just think you aren't just killing bugs/organisms but spores. Some spores have survived exposure to 500F and -100F. Think of a comfy little room like the space station with the exterior wall 3 feet thick steel, lead and reenforced concrete.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I'd bake and microwave it. I always microwave, let those bug's guts explode! I realize that's overkill, it can't hurt.
but what about the bigger pieces? tho i must admit this is pretty funny XD i may do this with my next set of logs XD but i usually just bake mine for like 4 hrs or something like that. usually after what water rinse [to remove dirt other junk]

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
but what about the bigger pieces? tho i must admit this is pretty funny XD i may do this with my next set of logs XD but i usually just bake mine for like 4 hrs or something like that. usually after what water rinse [to remove dirt other junk]
I generally go two hours. But more is always better

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I generally go two hours. But more is always better
well iv done it as long as 12hrs for one piece as i got it from a person who took very poor care of his animals it was in a fish tank with black nasty, disgusting water.. it came to my back yard [not even in my house] rinsed down with a garden hose. sat in a spare 20gallon of bleach solution. bought a 1"x2"x6' and broke it in half to remove the wood and after it dried and nolonger smelled. it was put in the oven and i turned it every 2 hrs for 12 hrs till i felt it was good... overkill? probably.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
well iv done it as long as 12hrs for one piece as i got it from a person who took very poor care of his animals it was in a fish tank with black nasty, disgusting water.. it came to my back yard [not even in my house] rinsed down with a garden hose. sat in a spare 20gallon of bleach solution. bought a 1"x2"x6' and broke it in half to remove the wood and after it dried and nolonger smelled. it was put in the oven and i turned it every 2 hrs for 12 hrs till i felt it was good... overkill? probably.
But if it did the job, that's what matters :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well I have noticed when you microwave cork bark for a bit, the composition seems to change slightly. It seems more brittle when it comes out at times.

The Snark

Old Timer
Another bit of noise from the peanut gallery. (I'm going to put my bio-medical engineering hat on for this) In order to kill all organisms and spores per hospital standards for -sterile-, non permeable material and objects must be subjected to 272 degrees F of saturated steam for 3 minutes or 227 degrees F saturated steam for 40 minutes. Dry heat has proven to be impractical as the results are not reliable below (some unholy high temperature for a ridiculous period of time both of which I forget) and microwaving does not heat evenly enough under any circumstances to completely sterilize.
With permeable materials the alternative to heat is ethylene oxide or recognized equivalent exposure of up to 72 hours depending upon the mass, thickness and permeability of the material.
Please feel free to correct me if the statistics I have cited are wrong. It's been a long long time.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Well I have noticed when you microwave cork bark for a bit, the composition seems to change slightly. It seems more brittle when it comes out at times.
note to self.. i dont like that idea XD lets stick with a few hrs in the oven

---------- Post added 02-01-2015 at 06:23 AM ----------

Another bit of noise from the peanut gallery. (I'm going to put my bio-medical engineering hat on for this) In order to kill all organisms and spores per hospital standards for -sterile-, non permeable material and objects must be subjected to 272 degrees F of saturated steam for 3 minutes or 227 degrees F saturated steam for 40 minutes. Dry heat has proven to be impractical as the results are not reliable below (some unholy high temperature for a ridiculous period of time both of which I forget) and microwaving does not heat evenly enough under any circumstances to completely sterilize.
With permeable materials the alternative to heat is ethylene oxide or recognized equivalent exposure of up to 72 hours depending upon the mass, thickness and permeability of the material.
Please feel free to correct me if the statistics I have cited are wrong. It's been a long long time.
pfff Misterr Technicality ;)

The Snark

Old Timer
Oh yes. Fecal material should be exposed to ~220 F saturated for not less than 24 hours. I'd conjecture the same applies for politicians.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Has anyone ever tried boiling sticks and bark?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Has anyone ever tried boiling sticks and bark?
iv boiled them to get tannin out.. it makes them super hot so.. may work?? but then again as snark said. it wont kill everything.. nothing will kill everything.. not even bleach :(

Sana

Arachnoprince
I think that I'm going to hang with baking next time. The additional water from boiling caused me some mold issues in a couple of cases.