Low cost, larger containers for slings/gravids/etc

SoHum

Arachnopeon
http://www.usplastic.com/mobile/item.aspx?sku=12776&gclid=ciihobqfo8mcfzfefgodgtaafq

I just ordered 10 of these for some new arrivals, I wanted something sturdier than a deli cup but still affordable for buying in bulk. I bumped into these after a couple of days worth of searching, and they look fantastic. A relatively large, hinged container that has a lid that snaps closed? For less than $1.50 each? Yes please! I'll post pics and a hands on review when they arrive, which should be tomorrow or Tuesday.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those look really promising! I'm most interested in knowing their clarity, but I guess the photos will demonstrate that.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I've found these at our nearby Home Depot, and have used them for some of my juvies and Eauthlus sp. They're not crystal clear, but I'm getting used to that with other Sterilite containers. I burned lots of vent holes with a soldering iron. I like them. They stack nicely on each other as well as my other Sterilite containers.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They have these at my Walmart. I like them but don't use them anymore as they aren't as clear as a deli cup and the lids don't shut tight, they are very loose and I only used them if I had another T to put on top of it.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you, a loose lid is a very important detail to hear about!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Clarity isn't great, but it's not terrible and while the lid doesn't snap tight, it's still pretty secure. I keep a few of my juvie T's in them, along with a couple larger roach species. I can always see when my T's are out and about, which is a plus since some of them never want to leave their hides. These containers would be really good for things like lycosids and some pisaurids (non Dolomedes) too.

SoHum

Arachnopeon
IMAG0405.jpg

Here's a pic of the closest thing I had on hand, my pocket knife, inside the container.

First impression: the lid snaps securely, but it doesn't form what would call a seal. You can grab the edge of the lid and pull in it harder than a little critter could push, and it doesn't just pop open. Anything big enough to push it open a tiny bit would not make it out. If you're looking to put incredibly feisty T slings in here, I have a hard time imagining something escaping, but in the interest of keeping your little friends safe and secure, I won't lie: this might not be the thing for you without something stacked on top of it.

However, the clarity is a little better than the crappy phone pic shows, and since scorpions can't climb sheer surfaces, I think they're going to be great for my intended purpose, which is scorp slings. They're pretty big and roomy, and for even the delivered price I'm happy with my purchase.