Does anyone keep coco fibre in storage?

GG80

Arachnoknight
I have to re-house 2 slings this week into bigger enclosures. Are there any concerns about using 7 month old coco fibre? I uncompressed and dried it when I got it 7 months ago but as I had far more than I needed I just packed it up and stored it away. It has been double bagged in 2 black bin sacks in a dry room and out of direct sunlight.

I have just taken some out to inspect and there is no smells, other than the smell of the coco fibre itself, and it looks good. It also has remained dry but I'm going to leave it by the heater for a day or so to make sure any moisture is gone.

I assume it should be fine as it can be left in a T enclosure for over a year or more with no issue. I suppose I just want to get some opinions before I put my slings on it.

High Lord Dee

Arachnosquire
Moisten it thoroughly and let it come to room temperature in the invert room. If it is too wet, you may need to wait a day or three until the moisture level is just right.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I just used some that I had dried and stored in a container in a cupboard for six months and haven't had any issues.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
I used a plantation soil brick that was over 4 years old without any problem so I would assume it's the same for the coco fiber.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Never had a problem with it.
I keep a 5 gallon bucket ready to use. Bought buckets with lids having a rubber seal at Menards for about $7. Get mine ready in May or June so I don't have the hassle of drying it out during the cold months. Never cared for the odor given off to bake it. Lol!

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It will be fine to use, there's nothing to worry about.

GG80

Arachnoknight
Thanks lads, I guessed it would be ok I just needed some re-assurance before I put my slings on it. I'd never forgive myself if something had have happened due to carelessness on my part.

Spongyspiders

Arachnopeon
Kinda funny thing I had cut a brick in 2 about 2 years ago and left it in a cabinet that I was going to put all my supplies in. anyway I found a better place before I put anything else in there and completely forgot about this half brick because the cabinet is in
my basement pretty much out of the way of anything I do. Anyway was going to put some old stuff I got from one of my relatives dying in there and I found it again. So a week later I got a new C marshalli and was able to use the brick for her enclosure and it worked just fine.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I think its fine. A little moisture isn't a bad thing unless you're housing Ts that need bone dry sub, which slings typically don't. This is why I dont use bricks. I prefer the loose bags since they come dry. SOOOOOOO much easier :)

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Funny to see this come up. I keep it dried and in a large plastic container. As long as it has been sealed and kept dry I can't think of any reason why it should not be used.

So last night I decided it was getting time to rehouse my campestratus from its original small deli cup, it's getting a little cramped and I want to have it moved before it hits the next pre-moult. So i go to remove the lid from the large plastic jar I store the stuff in after it has dried. And what to my wondering eyes should appear but a cleaning sponge inside the jar with the coir. i knew I hadn't put the sponge in there, but I recognized it as one that had been in the bathroom. the only answer was that the lady who comes in during the week to do household chores had dropped it in there, and not by accident, as the lid had been on it.
I knew the sponge had been used with household cleaning liquids and in fact has a faint odour indicating that even if I had not known that from the start, so the remainder of that jar will not be used, I won't risk even traces of chemicals contaminating my spider's substrate. I was not happy with the lady. I asked her today if she had done so, and she wasn't sure, but admitted that she perfectly well could have. She had to have done so, however.
No big deal, I just have to go to the bother of reconstituting another brick and drying it. But I'm still annoyed as there was absolutely no reason to have done such a thing. Maybe she thought it was just dirt to be thrown away.

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
As others have said it will work perfect despite it's age.
One tip I will give you: Throw some coco husk shavings in a blender(cut piece off brick/put in blender/add water/blend).
IMO this helps the slings burrow/move across surface.
Also helps the sling and yourself find prey/helps you find the sling.