A. seemanni strange behavior

FallingRepublic

Arachnopeon
Hello AB,

I was doing some routine maintenance this past weekend, mid-day to note, and while cleaning/changing the water dish in my A. seemanni's enclosure I accidentally bumped the side of her tank. She was quietly sitting at the mouth of her hide but once I bumped her enclosure she back peddled a bit and grabbed what appeared to be dirt and moss but was actually a mass of web as well and pulled it up, almost completely covering her hide. Has anyone else experienced this "trap-door-esque" type behavior from their seemanni?? It was quite amazing to me. Shortly thereafter she laid it back down and continued to sit at the mouth of her hide as before. Thanks!

- Brett

Sana

Arachnoprince
Too bad you don't have a video of that. Bet it was awesome to watch.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My A. seemanni does similar movements. I have lots of difference species of OW and NW T's but for some reason my A. seemanni moves very different. She is very light on her feet and makes quick decisive movements. She also never flicks hairs. Is your similar Brett?

FallingRepublic

Arachnopeon
Agreed, I wish I had a camera at the time recording the whole thing, but who knew.

Yes, centauri, mine has yet to flick a hair or anything" aggressive/defensive" . But still quick if need be and agile but all in all she's a differently colored Rosehair in temperament.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Agreed, I wish I had a camera at the time recording the whole thing, but who knew.

Yes, centauri, mine has yet to flick a hair or anything" aggressive/defensive" . But still quick if need be and agile but all in all she's a differently colored Rosehair in temperament.
Cool! They are one of my all-time favorite tarantulas. Good luck with yours.

---------- Post added 01-29-2015 at 10:37 PM ----------

Oh, and isn't the shape and texture of the cephalothorax really cool?