P Rufilata Enclosure

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That exoterra is way too big for a three inch speciemen. Indeed she will get big, but it takes awhile. I wouldn't put anything under five inches in that exoterra. Second your stick is way too thin. You should get cork and a pothos plant. Also your bottle cap water dish looks tacky in an exoterra. I actually have to redo my cambridgei female's exo. I'll post some pictures on your thread later.

Psingletongolf

Arachnopeon
That exoterra is way too big for a three inch speciemen. Indeed she will get big, but it takes awhile. I wouldn't put anything under five inches in that exoterra. Second your stick is way too thin. You should get cork and a pothos plant. Also your bottle cap water dish looks tacky in an exoterra. I actually have to redo my cambridgei female's exo. I'll post some pictures on your thread later.
The stick is too small but the tank is too big..... how big do you think that tank is? and how thick do you think the stick is/ needs to be? PS look again its not a bottle cap and for that matter IDGAF (fruit) if you think its tacky, I think it looks better then ones you can buy and besides its my tank not yours!

Anyone else have any opinions, one that I may value ???

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fuzzys opinion is highly valued by everyone. I would listen to what he is telling you and not pop off. I do agree with him as well. You still can use the tank, but have more hiding places for it. More cork bark. The dish is fine. Are there just ventilation holes at the top, or do you have some on the sides as well?

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
What are the dimensions of the exo teraa tank? For a 3-4 inch specimen I'd house it in an ecnclosure about 12- 15 inches in height and at most 10 inches in L and W . For these larger specimens its sometimes it seems they need a medium enclosure before put into a larger one initially. Decent looking enclosure but yea could use some cork bark for better hiding spots. The only comment I Have on that water dish is size. Doesn't seem big enough to impact humidity. That's the second reason water dishes are used, not just for T hydration. If the T is too small for a larger dish, all the more reason for smaller housing so the dish can be put to better use.

Heres a pic of two of my P. Regalis' enclosures

IMG_2803[1].jpg IMG_2768[1].jpg

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
The stick is too small but the tank is too big..... how big do you think that tank is? and how thick do you think the stick is/ needs to be? PS look again its not a bottle cap and for that matter IDGAF (fruit) if you think its tacky, I think it looks better then ones you can buy and besides its my tank not yours!

Anyone else have any opinions, one that I may value ???
You probably won't value them for the simple fact that they aren't what you what you want to hear, but you posted on a public forum and can't control the responses you get.

1. The 'potential' P. rufliata enclosure is far too big for a specimen that size. It would also benefit from a decent sized slab of cork bark, as well as some fake foliage. The green vines with suction cups would work well with the glass walls.

2. I say potential enclosure, because according to your instagram-- the P. ruf is already in the aforementioned enclosure. So asking was a moot point since you were going to do what you wanted to do anyway.

3. Not the topic of the thread, but since you advertise your IG and are looking for enclosure advice-- Glass jars make terrible enclosures, especially for Avicularia species. Avicularia absolutely need cross ventilation to thrive. Too much substrate, and it doesn't look like there are any sticks or fake plants for them to use as anchor points or made hides within.

---------- Post added 01-28-2015 at 02:04 PM ----------

I really hate how this happens to me virtually every time. But if you can look sideways then your all set. LOl
I just turned my laptop sideways. I love that enclosure!

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
You probably won't value them for the simple fact that they aren't what you what you want to hear, but you posted on a public forum and can't control the responses you get.

1. The 'potential' P. rufliata enclosure is far too big for a specimen that size. It would also benefit from a decent sized slab of cork bark, as well as some fake foliage. The green vines with suction cups would work well with the glass walls.

2. I say potential enclosure, because according to your instagram-- the P. ruf is already in the aforementioned enclosure. So asking was a moot point since you were going to do what you wanted to do anyway.

3. Not the topic of the thread, but since you advertise your IG and are looking for enclosure advice-- Glass jars make terrible enclosures, especially for Avicularia species. Avicularia absolutely need cross ventilation to thrive. Too much substrate, and it doesn't look like there are any sticks or fake plants for them to use as anchor points or made hides within.

The truth. If you want to post publically you have to be willing to listen. And thanks Miss Moxie! I give them a hide, water dish and some foliage to web and climb on and they love it!! The one with the PVC hide is very bold and stays out in the open ALOT.

Psingletongolf

Arachnopeon

If your going to look at my ig I would recommend looking at dates. I have nothing in glass with the excexception of the Rufilata. Temporary housing when I first started getting into t's before I found deli cups. So yest all my avic are in plasti with cross ventilation. Second there is a hide in there don't know if anyone noticed it or not but there is an opening where the moss is that goes to the bottom of the tank.
The tank is an 18x12x12 and you think this is too large yet 14 x10 x 10 isn't ? And yes I did rehouse the t as none of the point by the only comment at the time were a large concern minus size and that a whole different debate. Corkback is be searched for with no success yet. And humidy is fine.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
If your going to look at my ig I would recommend looking at dates. I have nothing in glass with the excexception of the Rufilata. Temporary housing when I first started getting into t's before I found deli cups.
.......the picture I'm referring to is from 2 months ago, November 16th, 2014.

Is that when you first started getting into Ts? Two months ago? Well then pardon us, I'm sure you know much better than Fuzzy or Eldondominicano.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=corkbark

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron

Is that when you first started getting into Ts? Two months ago? Well then pardon us, I'm sure you know much better than Fuzzy or Eldondominicano.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=corkbark
You forgot to add yourself in to that list Miss Moxie :). Great link. I need to re-up on my cork bark soon lol. All we are trying to do is help Psingletongolf. Of course you can take it or leave it. Tarantulas like to feel safe and fairly enclosed in their housing, being able to find their prey easier. In the wild tarantulas don't make homes for themselves that large proportionately to their size. Your 3" Rufilata would be fine for a long time and less stressed in an enclosure it could call its home. Something no more than 4 times its legspan in height on and no more than around 3-4 times it legspan in length and width. Thats plenty of space to roam, feel secure and find prey fairly easy

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You forgot to add yourself in to that list Miss Moxie :). Great link. I need to re-up on my cork bark soon lol. All we are trying to do is help Psingletongolf. Of course you can take it or leave it. Tarantulas like to feel safe and fairly enclosed in their housing, being able to find their prey easier. In the wild tarantulas don't make homes for themselves that large proportionately to their size. Your 3" Rufilata would be fine for a long time and less stressed in an enclosure it could call its home. Something no more than 4 times its legspan in height on and no more than around 3-4 times it legspan in length and width. Thats plenty of space to roam, feel secure and find prey fairly easy
Precisely. You're sitting there saying "What's the difference between 18x12x12 and 14x10x10?" and to us it doesn't seem like much. But you're not living in the enclosure, your 3.5" P. rufilata is. To your 3.5" spider, 4x2x2 makes a lot of difference.

Last edited:

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Precisely. You're sitting there saying "What's the difference between 18x12x12 and 14x10x10?" and to us it doesn't seem like much. But you're not living in the enclosure, you're 3.5" P. rufilata is. To your 3.5" spider, 4x2x2 makes a lot of difference.
What would life be like in an acrylic box i wonder.... I'd get pretty fat quick off a cricket diet lol.

Psingletongolf

Arachnopeon

Didn't mean it as I know more but when your in a bad mood and yea you know. Thanks for the link. That should help. And when you say wall plants are you talking the ones for reptiles with the suction cup ? and as far as the stick that's too small how big should it be.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Didn't mean it as I know more but when your in a bad mood and yea you know. Thanks for the link. That should help. And when you say wall plants are you talking the ones for reptiles with the suction cup ? and as far as the stick that's too small how big should it be.
It's up to you on the foliage, I have bought suction, and suction less plants but just make sure whatever is used is stable enough for webbing and/or climbing, cuz your T will climb. As for the stick, if you really want to keep it in there make sure you add a hide better than Moss The stick at this point should only be something to add for webbing purposes. Moss might be alright for slings up to maximum 1.5-2" to hide(even at that i have some sort of hide for arboreals as they grow into arboreal tendencies), but once they exceed that, they need something more substantial for a hide, in the case of arboreals, tree trunks, bark, hollow logs, etc..

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
It's up to you on the foliage, I have bought suction, and suction less plants but just make sure whatever is used is stable enough for webbing and/or climbing, cuz your T will climb. As for the stick, if you really want to keep it in there make sure you add a hide better than Moss The stick at this point should only be something to add for webbing purposes. Moss might be alright for slings up to maximum 1.5-2" to hide(even at that i have some sort of hide for arboreals as they grow into arboreal tendencies), but once they exceed that, they need something more substantial for a hide, in the case of arboreals, tree trunks, bark, hollow logs, etc..
+1 -- Exactly. It's not that the branch is too small in size, more so that it doesn't really offer a decent amount of space to hide. Like a hollow log they can hide inside of and feel secure, and a flat piece of cork bark they can hide behind.

Psingletongolf

Arachnopeon
The miss hide is actually a 4 in 45 degree elbow with moss glued to it so it's not just a pipe sticking out. It's hard to see in the picture but I can loose my arm in it. Not literally but you know what I mean. And there is an old piece of cork back that's small from her old enclosure that she likes to use. But I do plan on getting more now that I miss moxie has given me a link. Never though of Amazon

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
The miss hide is actually a 4 in 45 degree elbow with moss glued to it so it's not just a pipe sticking out. It's hard to see in the picture but I can loose my arm in it. Not literally but you know what I mean. And there is an old piece of cork back that's small from her old enclosure that she likes to use. But I do plan on getting more now that I miss moxie has given me a link. Never though of Amazon
Awesome. When looking at the hides, get something that it can grow into a bit.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm curious - for EVERYONE that says that container is too big for his 3" rufi, are you all saying that in the wild, all 3" rufi's live in a domain that is smaller than his Exo-Terra???

I'd be surprised if THAT was the case.

Psingletongolf

Arachnopeon
Precisely. You're sitting there saying "What's the difference between 18x12x12 and 14x10x10?" and to us it doesn't seem like much. But you're not living in the enclosure, your 3.5" P. rufilata is. To your 3.5" spider, 4x2x2 makes a lot of difference.
ps its not a 4x2x2 difference its a 4x12x12 + 2X12X14 + 2X10X14 for a grand total 1192 inches cubed