"I'm bringing you a new creepy for your collection..."

Sana

Arachnoprince
I just received a text from my best friend, an arachnophobe, with the statement "I'm bringing you a new creepy for your collection". The only thing in my house that she would refer to as creepy is my T's, so the creepy that she's referring to has eight legs. On further investigation, the "creepy" in question is a T that was left in the care of a mutual friend by an owner that didn't want the T anymore. The friend can't keep the T and he and my best friend figured that I'm the only person they know with a house full of spiders, so obviously they should bring it to me. Okay....

The bad news that comes with this:
I have no idea what species it is
I'm clueless about it's history or origins
I have no way of knowing if it's having any problems or going to come with any surprises

I sort of picture myself on AB tonight frantically asking if someone can tell me what the heck this T is and what I'm supposed to do with it. It appears that my first rescue is going to be interesting...

Sana

Arachnoprince
Believe me when I say that I will. I'm not sure that I was prepared for this situation, but I guess I'll figure it out this afternoon when she drops it off.

Spaceblues

Arachnopeon
Ooooooh mystery! I can't wait to see what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Using my extensively honed skills of nomenclature and my experience in watching YouTube:

If it is orange, moves at the speed of light, and wants to kill you, I'm ready to take a guess...
If it is not orange, moves at the speed of light, and hangs out on logs and wants to kill you, I'll take a guess...
If is black and white and makes you itch until you want to flay yourself, I'll take a guess...
If it enjoys being wrapped in a snake and crammed in your mouth, I'll take a guess...
If it sits there for 5 or six years without moving or eating,but only shows a sporadic desire to kill you, but will not do so because that would require motion, I'll take a guess...

Beyond that, I'm out of my depth. :D

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
If it sits there for 5 or six years without moving or eating,but only shows a sporadic desire to kill you, but will not do so because that would require motion, I'll take a guess...
This is the best thing I have ever seen, thank you for making my morning xD

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
prob a Curly hair, im seeing a rash of those in the craiglist here. Good luck!

Sana

Arachnoprince
prob a Curly hair, im seeing a rash of those in the craiglist here. Good luck!
Ladies and gentleman, introducing the mystery T... 011.jpg 012.jpg

Here's what I was told after much hassle of having the previous keeper cornered and asked. "It's a Chilean Rose Hair and it's a boy." Here's what the poor creature came to me in. View attachment 133905 006.jpg

Turns out SHE is a sub adult female. I couldn't tell the difference between a G. rosea and a G. porteri to save my life, so now I'll do some research. I assumed that I would be getting one of the two today from the start of this, so I'm not especially upset about that. I'm just glad that it wasn't an OBT cause they are far from my favorite T. Her's her new home. I offered her one burrow hide and one above ground. Once I know which she prefers I will adjust accordingly. 009.jpg 010.jpg

Anyone who wants to offer opinions on the species or husbandry advice, please throw it out there. I think that my husbandry is reasonable, bone dry sub, water dish, hide, 1.5 times the leg span from sub to top of enclosure. Don't expect her to move or eat often. Anything else?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Haha of course it was a rosie. Maybe it's the lighting, but she seems like she could be in pre-molt.

Sana

Arachnoprince
The previous pictures are without flash. This one is with. 014.jpg
Less than helpful I'm sure. Heaven knows she could be in premolt. I'll find out eventually I suppose. I figured I'd give her a few days to settle in and offer her a meal with the rest of the kids on on Sunday.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The previous pictures are without flash. This one is with. View attachment 133909
Less than helpful I'm sure. Heaven knows she could be in premolt. I'll find out eventually I suppose. I figured I'd give her a few days to settle in and offer her a meal with the rest of the kids on on Sunday.
I am 1000% sure that spider is in premolt. Look at the opisthosoma; it's a purpley color and it's huuuge, which is one of the first signs of late stage premolt. I give her a week or two tops to pop open. She's going to have a new pair of clothes for her new home!