What's your favorite collection T?

EODviper

Arachnopeon
So I am mostly posting this question to hear about people's collections and learn what people's preferences are. Whether you like burrowing species, OWs, NWs, arboreals, easy care, difficult care, colorful, or active etc etc.
This question was asked to me what my favorite T out of my collection was and I really don't have a simple answer because I love them all for different reasons (I expect this to be the most common answer)
-my collection consists of a Hapalopus sp. Colombia Klein which I love because he's super tiny, fast, a good eater, makes cool burrows, and he looks nice
-then I have a P. Irminia who is just awesome all around he makes really cool dirt webs and has a cool burrow and looks awesome.
-my B. Smithi is gorgeous and my biggest T right now and always eats whatever I give him Also he was my first T, I also love that he is always out.
-my A. Diversipes is beautiful, fun to watch build webs and just has a cool personality.
-Last but not least is my M. Balfouri which is my first OW Has an awesome burrow and he actually comes out a lot, he always seems to be working on something and he looks great.
so like I said I love them all for how different they are so I can't pick a favorite. I'm curious to see if you guys can!

Spaceblues

Arachnopeon
It's always the one I'm considering buying. [emoji5]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
So I am mostly posting this question to hear about people's collections and learn what people's preferences are. Whether you like burrowing species, OWs, NWs, arboreals, easy care, difficult care, colorful, or active etc etc.
This question was asked to me what my favorite T out of my collection was and I really don't have a simple answer because I love them all for different reasons (I expect this to be the most common answer)
-my collection consists of a Hapalopus sp. Colombia Klein which I love because he's super tiny, fast, a good eater, makes cool burrows, and he looks nice
-then I have a P. Irminia who is just awesome all around he makes really cool dirt webs and has a cool burrow and looks awesome.
-my B. Smithi is gorgeous and my biggest T right now and always eats whatever I give him Also he was my first T, I also love that he is always out.
-my A. Diversipes is beautiful, fun to watch build webs and just has a cool personality.
-Last but not least is my M. Balfouri which is my first OW Has an awesome burrow and he actually comes out a lot, he always seems to be working on something and he looks great.
so like I said I love them all for how different they are so I can't pick a favorite. I'm curious to see if you guys can!
I remember discussing with you on a separate thread with M. Balfouri, I'm glad to hear im not the only one with an M. Balfouri that seems to display its self more than other burrowing OWs. Also for me, I seem to not purposely but inordinately fall into a category of higher maintenance Tarantulas of the NW side, such as Theraphosa, Ephebopus, etc.. Though this doesn't cover a huge chunk of my collection, I find that the areas that they're native to attract me a lot. I do also like African T's. But all in all, I dabble in all areas of T's not to be prejudice against any specific and to learn and experience all spectrums.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
There's so many great ones that it's really hard to choose just one.

- My H. gigas make crazy tunnels and one has dug the entire circumference of the bottom of its deli cup with 3 shaft(one of which is now closed) going to the outside and she eats like a pig while the other is the unluckiest little thing I ever owned.
It once bolted out of its burrow to catch a cricket, but the cricket escaped, went in the Ts burrow and collapsed it a little so it took it a day to get to it.
At the next feeding, the cricket pushed its little pile of dirt trapping the T in it's burrow and , again, the cricket lived another day until the entrance was dug again.

- I have dear memories of my oldest P. cancerides female grabbing 12 crickets at the same time(I tried a 13th, but it just couldn't grab it, not for lack of trying) and she scared me half to death once when trying to coerce her to one side of her enclosure.

- I have fond memories of my first ever T, a G. rosea NCF which I let loose and handle a couple of times back when I knew nothing and trusted pet stores. She was also my first(failed) breeding experience, is great to takes photos of since she's so docile and always eat when I feed her.

- My N. chromatus is a real bulldozer and likes to make piles of dirt that touches the lid of her deli cup(I'll have to rehouse her soon) so it earned the name Dig-Dug and is really entertaining to look at.

But I do have a special place in my heart for OBTs. My first one passed away a couple of years ago after about 8 years in my care due to a criket I didn't notice that muched on her during a molt and have had multiple since then. They're really great to look at both for their beauty(I love orange) and the wide variety of their behavior which can change from burrowing to trying to be arboreals and they're pretty much not scared of anything(of reasonable size). And on the plus side, their pretty cheap, easy to find and easy to breed. If I could only have one, it would almost certainly be an OBT.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention about my P. cancerides is that I saw her a month or two ago run backwards without ever rotating to catch a cricket that was about to enter her hide. I hadn't been that impressed with a T catching something in a long time.

I could have gone on and on about many more of them since they're all so great in general, but I'd never stop writing.

Last edited:

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I like most of them for their diversity, whether they're OW, NW, arboreal, terrestrial, obligate burrowers, etc. I'm amazed at the variety available.

EODviper

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys I love the replies. I really like to hear people's opinions on these matters and to get an idea of what people have

miserykills

Arachnosquire
I really like NW terrestrials because I really hate how my H. lividum digs and i hate the inconvenience of arboreal tanks (like how expensive good looking tanks are) So my favorite looking NW terrestrials are N. chromatus which I have the pleasure of owning and GBB which I don't have yet. But my favorite T that I have is my B. smithi. I don't know why but I like her the most.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All of mine, every single one, is my favorite for different reasons. Except my irminia haha

RussoTuristo

Arachnopeon
G. iheringi. Gorgeous, big, leggy, with colors that don't fade... and unlike most Grammostolas, it grows like a weed.

ArborealKing

Arachnopeon
Gotta be my newest addition, a small female M. balfouri. She is fascinating to watch, comes out of hiding early evening and starts digging more of her burrow and webbing her enclosure. I see her a lot more than my others too, so it is a no brainer for me. Not to say that I don't like my other spiders of course.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
G. iheringi. Gorgeous, big, leggy, with colors that don't fade... and unlike most Grammostolas, it grows like a weed.
That's for sure. I'm 99% sure mine is a male,
But it eats 24/7, the only T I have that would out eat this one is my Honduran Curly hair before she hit 5". I'm curious how large males get, and lifespan too. Females are the largest of the genus at 8"

RussoTuristo

Arachnopeon
^ I'm suspecting mine is a male as well, it just molts way too often. I took a stab at sexing by molt, but couldn't figure it out. As far as I'm concerned, people who are able to do this are wizards.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I remember discussing with you on a separate thread with M. Balfouri, I'm glad to hear im not the only one with an M. Balfouri that seems to display its self more than other burrowing OWs. Also for me, I seem to not purposely but inordinately fall into a category of higher maintenance Tarantulas of the NW side, such as Theraphosa, Ephebopus, etc.. Though this doesn't cover a huge chunk of my collection, I find that the areas that they're native to attract me a lot. I do also like African T's. But all in all, I dabble in all areas of T's not to be prejudice against any specific and to learn and experience all spectrums.
To expand on my previous quote, I find a fascination with T's of more tropical climates. Such as Hysterocrates. Just got two and they immediately started building elaborate burrows with the moist sub

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I really like NW terrestrials because I really hate how my H. lividum digs
If you don't want that I'll take it off your hands for Ya haha ;)

I really am tied between my P irminias and my C Marshalli. They have so much character and are always a joy to look at. Actually scratch that... Irminia wins. My Marshalli is a sucky eater and my irminias always are hungry: more so than my Geniculata!

Old worlds and fast new worlds are becoming my favorite kinds of tarantulas because they're always doing something interesting. NW terrestrials just sit there like potatos, but even then it's not so bad anyways haha

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
If you don't want that I'll take it off your hands for Ya haha ;)

I really am tied between my P irminias and my C Marshalli. They have so much character and are always a joy to look at. Actually scratch that... Irminia wins. My Marshalli is a sucky eater and my irminias always are hungry: more so than my Geniculata!

Old worlds and fast new worlds are becoming my favorite kinds of tarantulas because they're always doing something interesting. NW terrestrials just sit there like potatos, but even then it's not so bad anyways haha
The couch potato NWs stay out in the open atleast :p.. My irminia is always in hiding waaaaaaaa :'(

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
B. smithi being my favorite. Red knees started the hobby for me and in the rare instance that I find someone who is interested in keeping tarantulas I will gift them a red knee 'sling so long as they promise to return it if they decide they no longer want it.

gobey

Arachnoknight
B. smithi being my favorite. Red knees started the hobby for me and in the rare instance that I find someone who is interested in keeping tarantulas I will gift them a red knee 'sling so long as they promise to return it if they decide they no longer want it.
I'm interested in B. smithi gifts ;)