1st attempts of rehousing success:)

GG80

Arachnoknight
I had to rehouse my A. genic and L. p slings into bigger enclosures as they both molted at the weekend and are approaching the 2" DLS mark. This was my first time having to rehouse so there was a little aprehension, my main concerns were an escape and/or damage caused to the slings.

So, the genic was first and it couldn't have gone any smoother. Small enclosue put into the bigger one, nudge the back leg and off it went into its new home. Simple. Surely the L. p transfer will be just as easy? Hell no!!. As soon as I touched it, Bang!! Full threat posture and striking. This went on for about 5 minutes as I tried to nudge it (very gently) to the edge I needed it to go to. There was no giving in from the spider, he/she stood its ground.

I left it alone for 15 minutes and tried again, same story, he was fired up then all of a sudden he just ran into the new enclosure. Such relief as I put the lid on. I then became aware that my heart was racing from the adrenalin. It was a great learning experience though, another 'milestone' reached :)

EODviper

Arachnopeon
I had to rehouse my A. genic and L. p slings into bigger enclosures as they both molted at the weekend and are approaching the 2" DLS mark. This was my first time having to rehouse so there was a little aprehension, my main concerns were an escape and/or damage caused to the slings.

So, the genic was first and it couldn't have gone any smoother. Small enclosue put into the bigger one, nudge the back leg and off it went into its new home. Simple. Surely the L. p transfer will be just as easy? Hell no!!. As soon as I touched it, Bang!! Full threat posture and striking. This went on for about 5 minutes as I tried to nudge it (very gently) to the edge I needed it to go to. There was no giving in from the spider, he/she stood its ground.

I left it alone for 15 minutes and tried again, same story, he was fired up then all of a sudden he just ran into the new enclosure. Such relief as I put the lid on. I then became aware that my heart was racing from the adrenalin. It was a great learning experience though, another 'milestone' reached :)
congrats on the rehouse. I just always try to remember everything has to happen on the Ts time. And just be patient. Which seems to have paid off in your case.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
Lol just had my own little moment of joy twice with new arrivals. First the new h Mac (bout 1")decided he wanted to do a couple of laps around the inside then outside of the deli cup before settling inside. Then, and I honestly always get a kick out of it when it happens, one of my new h gigas decided he didn't want to leave his arrival cup so as soon as I lifted off the paper towels went into full threat display. (Always cute coming from a 1" baby standing tough to a 5'10" person lol

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
Congrats on the successful rehousing.
I personally don't disturb my T's for 7 days after a molt. If I'm going to rehouse them after a molt I wait 7 days, feed them, wait two days, feed them again, and then rehouse. Rehousing is stressful for them so I want to make sure they are well fed before the transfer. Once they settle in for 5-7 days I resume feeding as normal.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I personally don't disturb my T's for 7 days after a molt. If I'm going to rehouse them after a molt I wait 7 days, feed them, wait two days, feed them again, and then rehouse. Rehousing is stressful for them so I want to make sure they are well fed before the transfer. Once they settle in for 5-7 days I resume feeding as normal.
Thanks for the advice. I left it 4 days after the molt, I waited until they darkened up and looked 'normal' again before considering the rehousing and they were fed 2 days ago. I'll give them a pre-killed meal in 2 days so as not to disdurb them with live prey while they're getting familliar with their new surroundings.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
100% agree on making sure they are nice and full. Befor i rehoused my geniculata a few months back i waited 4 days seen she had black fangs, fed aprooriate dubia size. Waited 4 more days, gave her an adult dubia ik she can eat but almost made her waddle, waited about 24 hrs and coaxed her on in. She remained eating in 7 days

However with new enclosures iv had a t go on a 2month feed strike as it didnt feel secure. And that sucks :( and if i did that on empty after a molt, i think my newbie side would kick in with the "omg will my T die??" Kinda threads

miserykills

Arachnosquire
Congrats!! I absolutely love rehousing my animals. The most exciting/terrifying experience for me in this hobby was rehousing my P. cambridgei sling and it got away from me for a few minutes. I know this doesn't really apply to this thread/forum but yesterday I rehoused my crested gecko from a 12x12x18 zoo med tank to a 18x18x24 exo terra and I'm really happy about it. Hopefully someone here shares my excitement lol.

GG80

Arachnoknight
100% agree on making sure they are nice and full. Befor i rehoused my geniculata a few months back i waited 4 days seen she had black fangs, fed aprooriate dubia size. Waited 4 more days, gave her an adult dubia ik she can eat but almost made her waddle, waited about 24 hrs and coaxed her on in. She remained eating in 7 days

However with new enclosures iv had a t go on a 2month feed strike as it didnt feel secure. And that sucks :( and if i did that on empty after a molt, i think my newbie side would kick in with the "omg will my T die??" Kinda threads
Thanks, I'll definately keep this in mind for the next time.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Congrats on the re-house, GG80. I've done a few this week as well. The one I was most nervous about was my 4+ inch P. irminia, just because she's so damn fast. She just about walked into the transfer jar, which was good, and only took a little persuading to get into her new, bigger enclosure. Heart racing the entire time. :laugh:

Next up is my 2 inch P. ornata. That ought to be fun..... :eek:

GG80

Arachnoknight
Congrats on the re-house, GG80. I've done a few this week as well. The one I was most nervous about was my 4+ inch P. irminia, just because she's so damn fast. She just about walked into the transfer jar, which was good, and only took a little persuading to get into her new, bigger enclosure. Heart racing the entire time. :laugh:

Best of luck, hope it goes smoothly for you. I'm nowhere near ready to be dealing with pokies yet:)

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Lol, had to re-house our L. Para today... All was going well...until she went on a mad one up and out of the bath...and half way up the bathroom tiled wall. Only wish I had my phone on me to take a picture.

"Next time any of you wimps find a tiny ass spider in your bath, think of this"

Sana

Arachnoprince

In our household the poecs are generally the calmer and more cooperative of the rehouses. Strange to hear I'm sure, but a handful of my NW terrestrials are the ones that take the prize for most stressful, uncooperative, pain in the patoot to do anything with except feed. Anything that believes everything that moves is something to eat are the ones that cause me trouble.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Must be a genic. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pfffft.... Try my G. porteri more like it.

My L.p.s are cooperative to rehousing. They like crickets. But seem to know the difference between crickets and me.