possible cist?

brezo

Arachnosquire
Hello!

I dont know what to make of this thing. Its an a. metallica with some sort of growth beneath the abdomen. Any suggestions? The spider is freshly molted and has eaten 2 red runners(B. lateralis). I have 2 in my care(sac mates) and the other one is completely healthy. The spider in question doesent display any symptoms what so ever.

Attachments

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Hello!

I dont know what to make of this thing. Its an a. metallica with some sort of growth beneath the abdomen. Any suggestions? The spider is freshly molted and has eaten 2 red runners(B. lateralis). I have 2 in my care(sac mates) and the other one is completely healthy. The spider in question doesent display any symptoms what so ever.
Wow that looks nasty, I'd say your accurate with the cyst or tumor. Has it gotten bigger sense the last molt?

Poss. An inflamed book lung or infected book lung..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
My guess is Its probably just a weak spot in the exo, for some reason it didn't form right in its last molt. If it was there before it molted though it could be something entirely different. Can you give a little more background info? Pics of the enclosure might be useful also..
I have seen some terrestrials being kept on course gravel that have inflamed opithstomas similar to yours( I fully understand your t is arboreal so that is likely not the cause)...

brezo

Arachnosquire
I didnt notice this before the molt, but i am not sure, i dont handle my spiders often. I did a water refill and after i did so i coaxed him/her out of the web and when he/she was climbing back in the enclosure i noticed.

I dont think book lung are being compromised. It looks like a bald spot in the middle of the abdomen, circular in shape, and about 1/5 inch(0.5 cm) in diameter. Spider in question is like 2.5-3 inches(6-7cm).

Tell me if there is any more info you would like to know and or is relevant or needed.

Pics of the enclosure coming.

Last edited:

Sana

Arachnoprince
I have one of those strange questions... Net? You have to catch you T in a net to fill the water? Am I understanding correctly? I'm super confused cause I've never caught a T with a net and wouldn't have guessed it to be necessary to fill water. Can you clarify what you said for my poor brain?

brezo

Arachnosquire
Net = web. I dont use a net. Net and web is same word in my language so we dont make diferences. So sorry if I used it wrong.

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That's a pretty good set up man...tons of cross ventilation a good climbing surfaces and a big water dish..the sub looked a little moist to me but the could be the lighting in the pic..if it is moist its probably not a big deal because of the adequate ventilation...I don't see anything in your cage that would cause her opithstoma to look like that...
Im sticking with my theory that its a molting issue, it will probably correct itself in the next molt cycle..
Good luck and let us know what happens with her...