Sling vs. Juvie

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
Hey guys,

I was wondering when a T goes from being a sling to being a juvie? I know there's nothing Scientifically Exact and I'm sure it depends on species and such, but if there's a general size consensus? I don't want to be going around referring to a T that's clearly a sling to everyone else as a juvie because I'm dumb.

Thanks ^_^

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Im pretty sure the 2" mark is what makes your little T go from a sling to juvie imo its sling till 2" 4-5 is adult 5+ mature(fem only). With exception of large Ts(lasi, poec etc) and dwarvs. Im sure someone elese may have another rule (especially on adult-mature) as aome sp only get about 5ish inch and whatnot but i think juvie is typically 2"-2.5"

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My rule is: if the spider is less than 1/3 grown it's a sling, around 1/2 a juvie, and then 3/4 and onwards sub adult, and when fully grown... well, you get the picture.

The rule could change here and there depending on different species (like the large ones leave the sling stage earlier since they're so big, opposite for smaller) but all round it works well for describing them.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I go with a similar system as klaw does, though for my larger species if they are 3+ inches then I call them a juvie as they are in that weird stage of being skittish and bold so I can relate that as more of a "teenage stage". Anything above their half adult size is sub-adult to me.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
For Genus' like aphonopelma, and Grammostola, its easy to determine when they become juvie, but for alot of OW species it seems hard bcause of their coloration even as slings. IMO. But yes you guys are right, the best rule of thumb is 2-3" juvie, etc..