Leave a couple drumming when not mating?

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
I bought a male G. rosea NCF 2 days ago that I put in a cage next to my female and was planning to mate them at in a couple of weeks.

But, my male already seems pretty at home, rearranging everything to his liking and my female just started drumming at him and both are pretty active.

I was wondering if I should leave them at it or if I should separate them so they don't tire themselves out courting without having a chance to mate right now.

What do you guys think?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Is he mature? Are you waiting for him to build sperm web or something? Is he drumming also?
If the female is receptive and recently molted and he is mature and drumming and has built a sperm web with his previous owner I would let them mate..
From the little detail you included in your post it sounds like the timing is right for them..if you do it when its right for you then you may miss the opportunity..
If you don't plan on breeding them soon I would separate them,why get them worked up for nothing.

I hope you are doing it for the love of the species and not money, rosea slings don't bring in big bucks and may end up costing you in the long run if you have to hold onto them for awhile...
Good luck though!

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Yes he's mature. I wanted to let him settle down a bit before breeding and I have no idea if he made a sperm web yet, but I assume he did since he molted about a month ago from what I was told(I bought him at my local pet shop so I don't know how accurate their info are), but I would have liked to see him make one to make sure he was ready.

I guess I'll speed up my time table and give it a try this weekend.

And yeah, I'm certainly not doing it for the money, more for the experience and I do love the little guys. I started breeding my own crickets so they won't cost much to hold on to, other than time.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
sounds good, breeding your own feeders bring your cost almost down to zero and makes it easier to make a few bucks..
I would wait untill you see remnants of a sperm web..you may never see one though but your chances of him making one are greater now that he has the scent of a female...I would wait a month tops to introduce them without seeing a sperm web but that depends on how fresh he is and when she molted last...
It took about 10 months for my female to produce a sac after being bred! The male was bought at a local LPs and there were tattered sperm webs in the enclosure so I knew he was ready, I introduced them about 8hrs after I got him home...give him some time to make a web unless he looks like he is worn out already...

---------- Post added 01-29-2015 at 02:37 AM ----------

Ya deffinately don't trust what the LPs says... He could of molted 10 months ago or 10 minutes before you bought him!
Do his emboli look filled out or kind of shriveled?
How often does your female molt and when was the last time she molted?
This species and a lot of species can take awhile to make a sac so if she is within a few months of a molt and your male seems to be fresh it might be worth rolling the dice and seeing if you can breed her after a fresh molt... I have heard rosea males can breed for up to a year and some change after there ultimate molt ( I'm not sure this is true though)...

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
I haven't gotten as good a look at his empoli as I would have liked, I'll try to take a picture of them when I can. The very tip doesn't look shriveled, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to so it's hard to tell.

She takes forever(over 3 years last time) to molt now(I bought her fully grown 13 years or so ago) and I'm sadly not sure when she molted last, I think I lost that info or didn't take note of it, but it's probably been at least 2 years ago. She certainly doesn't look ready to molt right now, but she could be soon or not, I'll just have to take a chance and hope she doesn't or that my male survives his first ordeal so I can try again if she does.

The last rosea male I got was still making sperm webs(caught him in the act twice) over a year after I got him and he wasn't fresh so they do last quite a while. He was in my care for well over 2 years before he died.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Yeah, he's been moving dirt around all day so the enclosure side is a bit dirty and he almost never stops so taking a pic is not easy when you need half a second of stillness because of the low light.

Once I fed my girl, she stopped drumming so I'll continue to fatten her up for a bit and try next time they seem interested.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Yeah, he's been moving dirt around all day so the enclosure side is a bit dirty and he almost never stops so taking a pic is not easy when you need half a second of stillness because of the low light.

Once I fed my girl, she stopped drumming so I'll continue to fatten her up for a bit and try next time they seem interested.
Its amazeing how a T will sit still,basically motionless for days and as soon as you grab your camera it decides to move around!
Ya its best to try and get a few big meals in her before you introduce the male...