Terrestrial or Arboreal enclosure?

SunTiger1

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!!!

I currently have a GBB (C.Cyaneopubescens) in a terrestrial enclosure and it seems happy but i am considering rehousing it into a arboreal enclosure later on. Is this a wise decision?

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
Not really as it's a terrestrial tarantula, no need to mix things up especially if it's happy.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Some people feel that gbbs are somewhat semi arboreal...
I personally wouldn't go with an enclosure that offers more height than floor space... I have seen gbbs in well decorated exoterra arboreal setups do ok because it gives them a lot more space to web..
I think your best bet is a 5 to 10 gallon aquarium though..

SunTiger1

Arachnopeon
Ok cool. Would a enclosure with the same amount of height as floor space be better than a complete arboreal setup?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
id go terestrial but 1.5x dsl for hight if it likes to climb. but id def not go with 2x+ one of my boys was arboreal infact he made a hammock and spent most of his day in it.. the other tunnel rat was a ground dweller making web tunnels out of anchor points each has their own quirks. but id still never go over 1.5 maybe 1.75 never 2, thats just too far for their heavier bodies...

Sana

Arachnoprince
I just made an enclosure for a GBB sling that offered a little bit more height than I usually give to my terrestrials. So far the little one couldn't care less, but the enclosure is a larger size for it to grow into for a little while since the darn little one grows like a weed. Most of my younger T's get larger enclosures than is strictly necessary at each rehouse, as long as they are safe in them, I'm perfectly happy to place food and water near their chosen retreat and keep an eye on things instead of rehousing frequently. I have read on a number of threads previously that GBBs will eventually use the addition height for webbing, but we'll see.