OBT sling care?

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
Bro,
Do you even search function?

That being said, they are kept as any terestrial sling.
Water dish, hide, slightly moist but more towards dry substrate.
Only extra thing you may want to include is some anchor points as some specimen tend to web more than others .

This is coming from my 6 months on the board... And the 4 minute search I did before typing this ;)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Obts are hardy and versatile...they will thrive in conditions ranging from arid to humid..
Its a no brainer species which is why they are so popular...well that and they breed like roaches,are pretty and cheap.
Slings do best when kept on a moist sub at about an inch and a half start keeping the sub dry..offer a hide or piece of bark for anchor points and a water dish.. Substrate should be deep enough that the t can burrow if it wants...

I won't cover temperament,toxicity and experience level as many people have offered you there opinions on this matter in multiple threads that you have been involved in pertaining to this species.

---------- Post added 01-30-2015 at 12:24 AM ----------

I'm honestly a little surprised you don't have a better handle on there care. I was just browsing a thread you started when you received those 8 g.rosea and 8 obts slings.There were something like 54 posts containing some really good care tips, on that species..
But anyway how are those little buggers doing?

Last edited:

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
So you own a bunch of OBT but don't know how to care for them? I'll keep my eye out on the bite reports.

Pretty irresponsible of you, but it happens a lot. People jumping in without doing any research there selfs because they expect the board to spoon feed information.

You've been on the boards since Oct 2014 you must have seen at least 200 threads between then and now asking for OBT care tips.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You've been on the boards since Oct 2014 you must have seen at least 200 threads between then and now asking for OBT care tips.

And dozens of threads warning beginners not to get OBT's until they have some experience under their belt.

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
Obt's are a fairly easy T to take care of, you can house them in "critter keepers" like the ones you find at chain petstores and with some cocofiber substrate you'll be good to go! :) Good luck with those guys, I'd say the only real challenge would be when you're trying to rehome them. I love my OBT's, I have 2 that were also a gift from a friend of mine, I never wanted to own some but once I started caring for them I don't regret it one bit.

Last edited:

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Refer to my signature for OBT temperament. Dry sub, water dish, anchor points for webbing, 20'' tweezers and considering even that wont be enough - ATTENTION AND RESPECT. Even the slightest flinch can make you regret you have Ts.

Good luck.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Be mindful. My little 3/4" OBT sling bolted right out of the deli cup once. I suggest making sure they have a little more room than other slings to build a hide or web one for themselves.

Mine were essentially treating their deli cups AS their hides. So upon (like a true moron),opening ome of the lids all the way one time... It immediately bolted out in fear and ran under my bed. Luckily I have catch cups EVERYWHERE.

Make sure you only open any lid/cover just enough to drop the food in. I now never feed them outside the bathtub or "check" on them.

My adult is much easier to deal with actually as she made a dirt mound tunnel in front of her pre made hide. I can plug up the entrance and do maintenance. She's happier to stay in there anyways.

One of my slings has regenerated 3 legs now. They're tough.

RomanBuck

Arachnopeon
Obts are hardy and versatile...they will thrive in conditions ranging from arid to humid..
Its a no brainer species which is why they are so popular...well that and they breed like roaches,are pretty and cheap.
Slings do best when kept on a moist sub at about an inch and a half start keeping the sub dry..offer a hide or piece of bark for anchor points and a water dish.. Substrate should be deep enough that the t can burrow if it wants...

I won't cover temperament,toxicity and experience level as many people have offered you there opinions on this matter in multiple threads that you have been involved in pertaining to this species.

---------- Post added 01-30-2015 at 12:24 AM ----------

I'm honestly a little surprised you don't have a better handle on there care. I was just browsing a thread you started when you received those 8 g.rosea and 8 obts slings.There were something like 54 posts containing some really good care tips, on that species..
But anyway how are those little buggers doing?
I received 4 rosea and 4 OBTs and one of each died during shipping.

So you own a bunch of OBT but don't know how to care for them? I'll keep my eye out on the bite reports.

Pretty irresponsible of you, but it happens a lot. People jumping in without doing any research there selfs because they expect the board to spoon feed information.

I know what I need to do I just don't want them to dry out...

And dozens of threads warning beginners not to get OBT's until they have some experience under their belt.
My OBTs were incredibly easy to rehouse and always retreat to their burrows when I check on them. I already know their toxicity and speed as one did run up my tweezers :) I always open their deli cup inside a 1 gallon ice cream bucket lined with Vaseline AND I ALWAYS have a catch cup ready. Thanks for the tips and everything :).

---------- Post added 01-31-2015 at 05:55 PM ----------

OBTs are nothing to play with for sure and I will always respect them and I do with every animal. What size deli cup would be decent for 2I OBTs? Wanna make sure they will be alright in what I have them in.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't use Vaseline personally( your origins as a roach keeper are shining through.Lol!)I have thought about it though..Back in the day if I was working with a T I thought was going to bolt I would rehouse it in the bathtub.. I would spray the sides and the rim of the tub with room temp water from a spray bottle ,the fine mist it creates was usually enough to make the T loose grip and slide back to the bottom so I could coral it into a catch cup...
Now a days I use ts tendency to bolt as an advantage I rehouse on a large table and try to walk it into the new enclosure,using a prod.It doesn't always work and they tend to run onto the table and I put a catch cup over them and transfer them that way...
Trying to get your cup over them in there enclosure is in most cases useless.
In time you will get used to there speed...
As for the rosea exercise extreme caution!!! prolonged contact with this species has been linked to loss of appetite for months on end, chronic lethargy and frequent sudden onset periods of restlessness! Its true man I'm not lying! Lol!

Spaceblues

Arachnopeon
I rehouse on a large table and try to walk it into the new enclosure,using a prod.It doesn't always work and they tend to run onto the table and I put a catch cup over them and transfer them that way...
!
I've been using our large table as well. My wife uses all sorts of witchy brews in the bathtub and I'm not sure I want my T crawling on that residue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14pokies

Arachnoprince
My wife uses all sorts of witchy brews in the bathtub and I'm not sure I want my T crawling on that residue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont blame you i would be afraid her potions would turn it into a frog or something? Lol! Or worse!!!! Rosy O'Donnell!!!!! Ewwww!

RomanBuck

Arachnopeon
Yes my roach origins really shine with Vaseline LOL I figured since it's so small it wouldn't matter as much so I put it's container in a larger container for rehousing. I will be using the bathtub as it gets larger though. Not sure how i feel about using a big table though lol.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Everything a tarantula steps in winds up in it's mouth when they groom. Don't get Vaseline near them.