Haplopelma Lividum

los3r

Arachnosquire
So this is a spider that i've wanted since I first saw one in an issue of nat geo when I was somewhere between 6 and 8 years old. Finally got one on tuesday :D 10 Gallon tank with about 7" of coco fiber/ vermiculite mix. Humidty is reading at around 80% She is a very angry and gorgeous spider :D

---------- Post added 01-29-2015 at 10:44 PM ----------

Guess she's settled into the burrow I started for her. Took her first roach :D

los3r

Arachnosquire
Outsmarted by my spider. Thought that if I got her to use the burrow I started for her up against the glass, I'd be able to always see her. So here she is hard at work webbing dirt to the glass of the aquarium xD

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
Congratulations! A beautiful spider and great pics. Not surprised she isn't going to make seeing her easy on you, but hopefully you can catch site of her as she waits for food a the mouth of her burrow, or at least at night.

This one is on my long-term acquisition list and your pics make me want to pull the trigger.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
You should totally get one. They are even more gorgeous in person :D
I have a Lampropelma Violaceopes, and some Chilobrachys, but would love to get into Haplopelma. Great Looking T! :)

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 08:07 PM ----------

And as long as you keep sub moist and good ventilation that's what matters, being a burrowing T it will get most of its moisture from the sub its in. I used to use the exact same hygrometers, but your best test is how fast/slowly your sub dries out, and the rate at which your water dish evaporates. If you don't have a dish put one in. These hygrometers have been known not to be entirely accurate, and can be affected by the slightest airflow or just by being next to a rock or fake plant etc..

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 08:09 PM ----------

Note- Just trying to be helpful.

los3r

Arachnosquire
I appreciate all the help :D Also I got a digital hygrometer that has pretty good reviews on amazon. For now I've got a screen top that I taped off and poked a bunch of holes in. My next day off work, I'm running to home depot and getting a piece of acrylic cut and gonna drill a bunch of holes in it. Oh and there is a water dish in there.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I appreciate all the help :D Also I got a digital hygrometer that has pretty good reviews on amazon. For now I've got a screen top that I taped off and poked a bunch of holes in. My next day off work, I'm running to home depot and getting a piece of acrylic cut and gonna drill a bunch of holes in it. Oh and there is a water dish in there.
Good stuff, when you drill the holes do it either in the center, or on the outer sides of the acrylic, that way your getting a better microclimate to your enclosure. In other words, your air being forced into a current to make for better cross ventilation and developing a good microclimate

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
How big is she? Can't tell for sure in the picture, aside from estimating against the hydrometer. Thanks.

los3r

Arachnosquire
Awesome, I'll do the holes on the outer sides then. And Ken the bug guy's site said she was three inches but I think she's closer to four.

los3r

Arachnosquire
Very nice! I like that setup
Thanks! She seems to like it too. Has made a very deep and shockingly perfect circle burrow. She's sealed it off so I'm hoping this means she's getting ready to molt and get bigger :D

---------- Post added 02-04-2015 at 11:23 PM ----------

Also, I'm already gathering supplies for my next spider. Either a theraphosa stirmi or a Nhandu chromatus. Any opinions on which one would be best? I'd like something that is tough. And tarantula fangs, I completely agree with your signature xD Just can't get enough xDDD

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Also, I'm already gathering supplies for my next spider. Either a theraphosa stirmi or a Nhandu chromatus. Any opinions on which one would be best? I'd like something that is tough.
I keep both of those species. If by "tough" you mean "hardy", I'd go with the N. chromatus.