Should I have encouraged my G. rosea/porti to move? Or did I mess up?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
As I posted in another thread, I fear that my G. rosea of of 11 years and around a month is on it's way out, she's been sluggish and in semi-death curl postures. I added humidity my way of dampening the substrate on one end in addition to her water bowl which seemed to help some. but i just noticed that she was sitting in her water bowl, her abdomen in in and I feared that her book lungs might have been submerged. i sort of assumed she was hydrating and got weak resulting in just plopping down.
So I decided to coax her from the bowl (it isn't deep, the abdomen was nowhere near being submerged, just the bottom)She slowly and clumsily crawled out, and has sort of assumed the position again next to the bowl.

Did I make a blunder? I think she may be about finished anyway, but sort of hated the idea of her drowning herself. Or did I perhaps prevent her from saving herself through extreme hydration?

Here she is after coming out of her bowl. Not as curled, but i don't think her posture looks healthy. not in light of her behaviour and appearance lately. But maybe I should have left her where she was, she may have known what she was doing. But again, I was worried she was unable to remove herself.

Addition before posting. She returned to the bowl so I will leave her there, it is apparently where she wants to be.

Attachments

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Here she is after her return. I did notice that the water is pretty shallow now, so her book-lungs probably are not in jeopardy.

Attachments

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If she gets to the point of near no responsiveness, I would recommend flipping her over on to her back and dripping water on to her mouth directly.

Did you get her as a sling or an adult, because if she was an adult when you received her then there is a large chance this this is her time and she is really on her way out. Only time will tell, but I wouldn't sweat it on the "moving her" thing. You did what you thought was right, and not much harm came of it since she's right back where she started.
My hopes are with you that she pulls through, I hate losing a beloved tarantula.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Oh yes, she was an adult, purchased in 2003, so that's why I'm kind of pessimistic, as who knows how old she actually is. My first female, and if my current group of spiders turn out to be all male, my only one.
But what happens, happens. I'll leave her be for tonight and see how she is tomorrow and then take any further measures like administrating a few drops to her directly. She has not moulted in years, and she has been what I considered to be a normal rosea fast for several months. I wish I had written down the last time she ate. Her abdomen is still plump, though, for what that is worth.

Thanks!

Sana

Arachnoprince
I've been wondering how she is. Hoping for good news for you.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well she could also be in late premolt, I know they get sluggish and act strange then. She is very old though, and might not have the energy required to go through the whole molt.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, she had not moved overnight. I touched her and she didn't seem inclined to move so I picked her up and her legs moved weakly. Dripped some water on her mouth and held her upside down for awhile, but replaced her in the upright position.
I'm debating whether to create an ICU for her or to simply let nature take its course. If it is in fact time for her to go, I sort of hate disturbing her and removing her from her habitat of nearly 12 years only to have her succumb in a damp environment which she would hate under ordinary circumstances.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Well, she had not moved overnight. I touched her and she didn't seem inclined to move so I picked her up and her legs moved weakly. Dripped some water on her mouth and held her upside down for awhile, but replaced her in the upright position.
I'm debating whether to create an ICU for her or to simply let nature take its course. If it is in fact time for her to go, I sort of hate disturbing her and removing her from her habitat of nearly 12 years only to have her succumb in a damp environment which she would hate under ordinary circumstances.
+1 it sounds like it is her time....I wouldn't move her to an ICU...
I'm really sorry man, I know how attached you can become to an animal that has been around that long...

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ICUs aren't really ever necessary. It just stresses te tarantula out more and often helps promote fungal, bacterial, and nematode Infections. I would just make sure their dish is filled and the spider can drink from it. Very sorry this happened to your tarantula. My condolences.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
+1 it sounds like it is her time....I wouldn't move her to an ICU...
I'm really sorry man, I know how attached you can become to an animal that has been around that long...
ICUs aren't really ever necessary. It just stresses te tarantula out more and often helps promote fungal, bacterial, and nematode Infections. I would just make sure their dish is filled and the spider can drink from it. Very sorry this happened to your tarantula. My condolences.
Absolutely agree, +1 - Don't move her into an ICU. You can moisten some of the substrate in a part where she's not laying to try and up the humidity a bit more. But other than that, as recommended, keep her dish full. It does sound like she's at the end, and you've done all that you can really. She'd be more content (I'd think, anyway) to pass on in what she's come to consider her territory, than in a deli cup filled with damp paper towels.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
The status is about the same. She's not moved. Her legs arent curled in, so I'm leaving her be. She may be alive, she may be deceased. She's sort of a Schrodinger's tarantula at the moment, I guess. I don't think she'll make it too much longer. I'll check her tomorrow for signs of life, move her to the water-dish, maybe. I have a cricket that I may kill and place in front of her, but i think it'll be a waste of time and a cricket. Sigh.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'm sorry Tim, that's rough. :[

Go give Geronimo a hug for comfort. He's gotten more sturdy since we put the helmet on.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
We may have to adjust the weight of the helmet, though. He tips forward and can only use his front four legs, I've noticed.

So now we know what our Miss Moxie sounds like. :D

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
We may have to adjust the weight of the helmet, though. He tips forward and can only use his front four legs, I've noticed.

So now we know what our Miss Moxie sounds like. :D
I've got a better idea. Put a small weight- like a fishing line weight- on his spinneret and then that will balance him out.

Indeed, we do. I know, I sound a lot less angry than people probably imagine. Also I'm lacking the accent most associate with witches.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, never one to not point out when I make a mistake, that comment was intended for the thread with the video. Don't know why I mentioned it here.

But, you have a pleasant voice.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Well, never one to not point out when I make a mistake, that comment was intended for the thread with the video. Don't know why I mentioned it here.

But, you have a pleasant voice.
Perhaps all this talk of sugary legs has gotten you all mixed up mentally. C'mon Tim, you're usually so sharp.

I didn't mean to throw you off your game. I guess I shouldn't mention the sugar scrub I have for my lips, or the sugar lip balm. You can't seem to handle your sugar. Are you, perhaps, diabetic?

:angelic:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
So I was thinking for Valentine's day we wouldn't go crazy but I'm up for suggestions.