Too much ventilation?

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
2015-01-30 15.13.52.jpg

Here's a photo of four deli cup setups I have. 19 holes on top 16 on sides. Mix of coco fiber and top soil. I currentlymhave two h.gigas and two P.Muticus in those cups. I have lots of ventilation.. Is that an issue for slings?

Thanks,

Rafael

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You kind of overdid it. I just put airholes on the upper sides, and not the lids, as I stack them and the top gets blocked. One potential problem with holes in lids on deli cups is it reduces the microclimate effect. Holes on the sides give cross ventilation, which is good, but slings also need a microclimate. I would not put Hysterocrates in a cup with holes in the top. They have very little tolerance for drying out.

Muticus like it drier than Hysterocrates, but they're still pretty small if they're in deli cups, and they don't have the drought tolerance of adults.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Im worried about the size of the holes...is there any chance the slings can fit through them? PS a hole big enough for a sling to fit halfway through is much worse than a hole it can fit completely through! I learned that the hardway!
I don't think its too much ventilation though at all...

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You kind of overdid it. I just put airholes on the upper sides, and not the lids, as I stack them and the top gets blocked. One potential problem with holes in lids on deli cups is it reduces the microclimate effect. Holes on the sides give cross ventilation, which is good, but slings also need a microclimate. I would not put Hysterocrates in a cup with holes in the top. They have very little tolerance for drying out.

Muticus like it drier than Hysterocrates, but they're still pretty small if they're in deli cups, and they don't have the drought tolerance of adults.
How many holes are too many holes in just the sides then, with zero holes in the top?

---------- Post added 01-30-2015 at 03:40 PM ----------

Im worried about the size of the holes...is there any chance the slings can fit through them? PS a hole big enough for a sling to fit halfway through is much worse than a hole it can fit completely through! I learned that the hardway!
Size of the slings in question? I've got 2 Euathlus sp. "red" (.25") in containers with holes made from a soldering iron and they haven't climbed out.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
How many holes are too many holes in just the sides then, with zero holes in the top?

---------- Post added 01-30-2015 at 03:40 PM ----------

Size of the slings in question? I've got 2 Euathlus sp. "red" (.25") in containers with holes made from a soldering iron and they haven't climbed out.
the holes should be smaller than the ts carapace.. Most people base hole size on the ts opithstoma..

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
the holes should be smaller than the ts carapace.. Most people base hole size on the ts opithstoma..
Whoops, no. I know that. I thought you were the OP for a second and were saying you were worried about them climbing out of the holes.

To OP -- What size are your slings?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

The holes he has on the sides are sufficient for most tarantulas. I give Avics an extra ring or two of them (you have to check that they don't web over them and drastically reduce airflow).

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
The holes he has on the sides are sufficient for most tarantulas. I give Avics an extra ring or two of them (you have to check that they don't web over them and drastically reduce airflow).
I have tons of these cups I could always just replace the lids. I also have the same setup for my e. Cyanognathus'.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
When making holes in containers one must factor in the overall humidity of the room that the ts are in...if its dry less holes, if its humid you could use mesh screen if you want(screens and ts don't mix I was just using it as example)
With some burrowing species I worry even less about micro climate in the enclosure because there burrow has its own...its this principle that allows them to survive 110 degree heat in the summer and survive in below freezing temps in the winter..

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
The holes are smaller than the carapaces, the smallest T is 3/4” legspan

---------- Post added 01-30-2015 at 03:56 PM ----------

When making holes in containers one must factor in the overall humidity of the room that the ts are in...if its dry less holes, if its humid you could use mesh screen if you want(screens and ts don't mix I was just using it as example)
With some burrowing species I worry even less about micro climate in the enclosure because there burrow has its own...its this principle that allows them to survive 110 degree heat in the summer and survive in below freezing temps in the winter..
That was my thought as well when doing this, but I will kill myself if these T's dry out and die

---------- Post added 01-30-2015 at 04:12 PM ----------

I opted just to replace all six lids: for my e.Cyanognathus for my h.gigas and for my p.Muticus. There are now 16 holes on the sides of the cups only. 16 holes is still alot.

---------- Post added 01-30-2015 at 04:14 PM ----------

And clarification. Cross ventilation does not mean you have holes on the top.. So I'm guessing that cross vent is when the air rises then get forced to the sides and outside the holes provided?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
---------- Post added 01-30-2015 at 03:56 PM ----------

I will kill myself if these T's dry out and die ��

Looks like we have an extremist amongst us,

you like how I edited the comments so that you look completely insane? Lol!

Better safe than sorry man you can always go back and add holes a few at a time if you need to.

Just a note to some new keepers that may be reading this and feel they have to much ventilation and don't have the options of swapping lids...use tape on the outside of the deli to cover them back up..

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Just a note to some new keepers that may be reading this and feel they have to much ventilation and don't have the options of swapping lids...use tape on the outside of the deli to cover them back up..
Mmm, you have to be careful with tape over holes. It has the potential for the T to get stuck to the exposed tape through the holes.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Mmm, you have to be careful with tape over holes. It has the potential for the T to get stuck to the exposed tape through the holes.
+1. Tape is not a good solution. Best to do it right the first time, or start over again with new cups.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
+1. Tape is not a good solution. Best to do it right the first time, or start over again with new cups.
I'd say, if you're desperate, you may be able to put tape on over top and then use a dab of hot glue to fill in the exposed holes. I've never done that myself, but it makes sense to me. I used a small dab of hot glue to cover a hole I made too big in my A. versicolor enclosure and it's still there.

But your best option is to do it right or start again as Poec says.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Definitely better safe than Sorry! good thing I bought the deli cups in bulk for this reason and more Ts of course... W:)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
If the holes are large yes, but I don't know of anybody putting half inch holes on a deli container..I'm talking about your standard pin pricks...guess I should of clarified...

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
If the holes are large yes, but I don't know of anybody putting half inch holes on a deli container..I'm talking about your standard pin pricks...guess I should of clarified...
I don't use pins. Aren't there hole sizes ranging between "standard" pin pricks and half inch holes? For a hole left behind by a standard soldering iron, a sling could definitely put a leg or three through it to try and escape.

Tape is a bad method, clarification or not.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I don't use pins. Aren't there hole sizes ranging between "standard" pin pricks and half inch holes? For a hole left behind by a standard soldering iron, a sling could definitely put a leg or three through it to try and escape.

Tape is a bad method, clarification or not.
Dude go some where...every post you are involved in ends in a flameout...your like plutonium dude...people don't just use thumbtacks or soldering irons to punch holes...you can use heated paper clips,small drill bits whatever.....
Obviously hole size varys and common sense must be used when using tape or anything on or in a Ts enclosure...you get so defensive over your beliefs and methods of T husbandry so fast. Your ways are not the only ways,neither are mine or anybody else's...
If you loosen up a little you will see that there are many ways that work as good as your methods or better..if you remain narrow minded you are never gonna grow...chilllax a little there moxie!

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Dude go some where...every post you are involved in ends in a flameout...your like plutonium dude...people don't just use thumbtacks or soldering irons to punch holes...you can use heated paper clips,small drill bits whatever.....
Obviously hole size varys and common sense must be used when using tape or anything on or in a Ts enclosure...you get so defensive over your beliefs and methods of T husbandry so fast. Your ways are not the only ways,neither are mine or anybody else's...
If you loosen up a little you will see that there are many ways that work as good as your methods or better..if you remain narrow minded you are never gonna grow...chilllax a little there moxie!
Haha, first of all-- I'm not your dude. Second of all, I'm very open minded and have grown exponentially in my months here.

Leaving exposed pieces of tape adhesive in a sling's enclosure however is not something anyone should advise to the beginners who may or may not view this thread in the future. I'm sorry, but I'm not actually sorry that I wasn't going to let that piece of advice stand. Poec54 agreed with me and the OP agreed with me. You're the one who is getting defensive, considering you went from talking husbandry to making it personal.

It's not personal. Sticking tape over holes is just a bad idea.