Cyclocosmia torreya

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This is one of my young ones. I have four and had to dig them up to see if they were actually alive. Figured i would snap a quick shot.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a big ol' female! I love these guys, very awesome. What do you feed them when they are that small!?!?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well when i got them they were like 1/4 this size, just little specks. So i would try the smallest newborn lateralis i could find. But most the time that wouldnt work out. So unfortunately once i broke down and bought fruit flies. But they only lasted a bit. So every once in a while i would snag phorid flies or whatever they are out of my dubia colony and stick one in with each trapdoor. They ate them so i did that once in a while. But these guys seemed to grow with very little feeding.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
I had success with fruit flies, but I'm used to keeping them for frogs (of which I only have one now), baby crickets, and really small lateralis. Fruit flies are fun because you can occasionally watch them snatch up a couple in a sitting, but they can be a pain.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I cant deal with fruit flies anymore. I got rid of some very cool huntsmans because the slings needed fruit flies. Ive never seen my torreya eat either.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I love these guys! I always think their abdomens look like some obscure symbol. Does anyone know what it's used for, by the way?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I believe it is a defence against parasitic wasps that prey on them. Their abdomens fit cleanly in their burrows, like corks.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Have you noticed the markings on the end of the abdomen though? Kinda looks like a old fashioned family crest.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Have you noticed the markings on the end of the abdomen though? Kinda looks like a old fashioned family crest.
Yea the markings are pretty cool, noticed they vary slightly depending on location from what I've seen in pictures. Kinda reminds me of a tribal mask of some sort.