The Stromatopelma family

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Hello all,

I received two H Macs today.. At least i think.. One's half inch and the other's 3/4 inch.. I'm not new to H macs, have two others aside from these. My question.. My 1/2"er looks like a S. Calceatum! It has yellowish bristles, and from what i was able to see, i goldish more green than gray carapace. I cannot post any picks right now. But what insight can I receive on the difference of these two as slings? My previous H Mac purchase before, my 1/2"er was gray.. Am I a lucky owner of an S. Calceatum? or just not knowledgeable enough of the genus.

Thanks,

Rafael

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Both look identical till approx. three inches. They just had both sp. at my last reptile show and the two inch speciemens looked practically the same.

---------- Post added 01-30-2015 at 08:18 PM ----------

Also they aren't from the same genus.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Both look identical till approx. three inches. They just had both sp. at my last reptile show and the two inch speciemens looked practically the same.

Not sure why I put it that way, just used it as a reference to relate the two, wrong method there.. What makes them related do you know? Aside from looks that is

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh okay. I didnt know if you knew. Idk really, hopefully catfishrod chimes in he knows all about his baboons lol. I would say maybe that there African arboreal sp lol. I'm sorry I can't be more of help. Catfish was saying the Stromatopelma family has a red sp. I wish we could get those. :/

cold blood

Staff member
Not sure why I put it that way, just used it as a reference to relate the two, wrong method there.. What makes them related do you know? Aside from looks that is

Different genus means they are not directly related....they just share many similarities.;)

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Oh okay. I didnt know if you knew. Idk really, hopefully catfishrod chimes in he knows all about his baboons lol. I would say maybe that there African arboreal sp lol. I'm sorry I can't be more of help. Catfish was saying the Stromatopelma family has a red sp. I wish we could get those. :/
I figured before i jump into Stromatopelma, I'd get very acquainted with H. Maculata, for some reason S. Calceatum freaks me out and fascinates me at the same time lol, this red sp. I've heard of from a fellow hobbyist in my area. These african arboreals, are truly one of a kind though.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron

Btw to clarify I was referring to subfamily

---------- Post added 01-30-2015 at 08:35 PM ----------

which is Stromatopelminae

---------- Post added 01-30-2015 at 08:36 PM ----------

And I hear there are more in the Stromatopelminae sub family

---------- Post added 01-30-2015 at 08:37 PM ----------

Different genus means they are not directly related....they just share many similarities.;)
yessir ;), being in the same sub family probably helps lol.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha, my sixth spider was a massive s calceatum. I think I was three weeks into the tarantula hobby too. I wanted more pokies and a petstore had it for cheap. I didnt think it was a pokie, but I bought it anyway. I was rehousing her and she teleported from her kritter keeper to outside in a split sec. Actually the top caught her back leg or I would have been screwed lol. I took the top of asap and she ran under the cork. Thank god she didnt get out. Till this day I've never seen any tarantula come close to moving that fast.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Haha, my sixth spider was a massive s calceatum. I think I was three weeks into the tarantula hobby too. I wanted more pokies and a petstore had it for cheap. I didnt think it was a pokie, but I bought it anyway. I was rehousing her and she teleported from her kritter keeper to outside in a split sec. Actually the top caught her back leg or I would have been screwed lol. I took the top of asap and she ran under the cork. Thank god she didnt get out. Till this day I've never seen any tarantula come close to moving that fast.
Another species, I'd like to get that from what I know was previously in this subfamily is the Ecyoctratella Olivacea, previously known as Xenodendrophilia gabrieli.. I'd like a few of those :). I almost never get my T's of the same sp. in singles anymore. But I'ts going to be interesting to see how /if this subfamily expands, if we can find more of this Stromatopelminae in Africa. Very fascinating, and fast as you said species. my fastest was either my H. Villosella dwarf T or my H mac, between the two its def. tight

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
There's a few species in Stromatopelma. Unfortunately with the constant civil wars in Africa and periodic disease outbreaks, there's a lot of great African species that haven't made it to the US.

To me, slings/young juvenile calceatum and maculata are virtually identical. Maybe there's some subtle thing to look for, but I don't know what it is. At around 3" or so maculata starts to get it's distinctive chalky color.

Encyocratella has also been included in that subfamily; I don't know if that's because it's (semi) arboreal, or because it has a lot in common with the other two genera.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
There's a few species in Stromatopelma. Unfortunately with the constant civil wars in Africa and periodic disease outbreaks, there's a lot of great African species that haven't made it to the US.

To me, slings/young juvenile calceatum and maculata are virtually identical. Maybe there's some subtle thing to look for, but I don't know what it is. At around 3" or so maculata starts to get it's distinctive chalky color.

Encyocratella has also been included in that subfamily; I don't know if that's because it's (semi) arboreal, or because it has a lot in common with the other two genera.
This is the unfortunate truth. I will note that my H macs at least of now, were in the light of my room, so that could definitely be playing a factor into what I've seen. But all in all, I will find out with in the next 6-8 months i suppose, my H macs are prettymoderate growers, not terribly fast growing. A huge difference between encyoctratella and the H Mac and S. Calceatum, is the rear leg density. E Olivacea have a much slenderer build from what I see and hear.

---------- Post added 01-30-2015 at 08:54 PM ----------

Light of my room as in out in display not in hiding

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is the unfortunate truth. I will note that my H macs at least of now, were in the light of my room, so that could definitely be playing a factor into what I've seen. But all in all, I will find out with in the next 6-8 months i suppose, my H macs are prettymoderate growers, not terribly fast growing. A huge difference between encyoctratella and the H Mac and S. Calceatum, is the rear leg density. E Olivacea have a much slenderer build from what I see and hear.

---------- Post added 01-30-2015 at 08:54 PM ----------

Light of my room as in out in display not in hiding
This is definitely true. Even very gravid E. olivacea are much more slender in build than H. maculata and S. calceatum. They are also not nearly as quick moving. They will stand their ground, but I find them much easier to deal with than calceatum and maculata. Cals and macs are just so unpredictable.

---------- Post added 01-31-2015 at 12:24 AM ----------

I wish we had more stromatopelma, especially S. satanus....just the name alone makes me want one! HaHa!

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
And not all of us are still young.
So we do what we can to experience the species we can get a hold of. Of all african subfamiilies, I must say that Stromatopelminae strikes me as very fascinating. These arboreals are balanced with beautiful coloration, bulky bodies, striking speed, and great environmental adaptability

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
So we do what we can to experience the species we can get a hold of. Of all african subfamiilies, I must say that Stromatopelminae strikes me as very fascinating. These arboreals are balanced with beautiful coloration, bulky bodies, striking speed, and great environmental adaptability
The Eumenophorinae and Harpactirinae have some pretty interesting species too. Baboons are just fascinating spiders. Anything that lives alongside of lions, elephants, rhinos, and mambas has to be tough. And we get to have those spiders in our homes to watch.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
The Eumenophorinae and Harpactirinae have some pretty interesting species too. Baboons are just fascinating spiders. Anything that lives alongside of lions, elephants, rhinos, and mambas has to be tough. And we get to have those spiders in our homes to watch.
Harpactirinae are fascinating, haven't done much research on Eumenophorinae.. Guess I have a new project!!