How to peel stickers off old food containers?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I decided to make a video of how I remove stickers for potential T enclosures. Now, my method isn't magical, it isn't 100% effective but it does help a lot in my personal experience. Not the greatest quality, I threw it together quick. I haven't got a tripod so I stuck my iPhone in a glass and shot it that way.

I'm not sure if this has been said/done before, but I haven't run across it yet on the forums.

[video=youtube;rfW-yeD2q_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfW-yeD2q_M[/video]

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
That's genius, I often remove to the sticker and it will have left overs stuck, I use nail polish remover to get the rest off (no I have never lost a T because of this)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
That's genius, I often remove to the sticker and it will have left overs stuck, I use nail polish remover to get the rest off (no I have never lost a T because of this)
You're welcome! Haha, this is gonna sound absolutely silly- but I use sugar scrub to get off some of the remaining adhesive. Like the stuff I use on my legs, I put it on the glue and let it sit for a bit before I begin to rub at it. My thought process is that there are oils in the sugar scrub, as well as sugar granules which would 'exfoliate' the glue. I've read letting vegetable oil sit on glue can help soften it up.

SO that's what I do! I treat'em to a spa day.

Psingletongolf

Arachnopeon
I use peanut butter to remove the goopy sticky stuff. Although I have never tried this with a t enclosure I do use it all the time with Golf clubs and Hockey sticks

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Of course, then you have to find something to remove the goopy, sticky peanut butter. and then of course you need to find something to remove the stuff you used to remove...well, you get the idea.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Of course, then you have to find something to remove the goopy, sticky peanut butter. and then of course you need to find something to remove the stuff you used to remove...well, you get the idea.
See above smarty pants! I use sugar scrub that washes off in hot water afterwards.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
But you don't use peanut butter. So i wasn't being a smarty pants to you. But I'll pencil you in Miss Sticky Legs!

I'll go make the couch. :eek:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
But you don't use peanut butter. So i wasn't being a smarty pants to you. But I'll pencil you in Miss Sticky Legs!

I'll go make the couch. :eek:
Well then! You can just go look at tarantula legs if mine are too sticky.

I'm putting a spare couch in the garage for when you've really stepped in it.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
And apart from finding myself in the garage, how do I know I'm gonna step in it before the fact?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
And apart from finding myself in the garage, how do I know I'm gonna step in it before the fact?
If you have to follow your statement by 'I'll get the couch ready' I think you've got a pretty good grasp of when you've been deplorable.

CR33P3R

Arachnopeon
oooo I am going to have to try this.. I usually soak in soapy hot water then scrub the residue with goo-gone but the soaking part takes foreverrrrr.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
And isn't all that efficient. Her method looks like it works much better. i have a deli container with a label on the lid I will try when the need arises to upgrade to a larger size.

I'm not gonna try the sugar on the legs part, though.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
oooo I am going to have to try this.. I usually soak in soapy hot water then scrub the residue with goo-gone but the soaking part takes foreverrrrr.
Sometimes it varies. I've had stickers that have come clean off, no adhesive residue left. And then I've had some where there is residue. But the hair dryer method definitely makes it easier to peel the label off.

---------- Post added 01-31-2015 at 05:09 AM ----------

And isn't all that efficient. Her method looks like it works much better. i have a deli container with a label on the lid I will try when the need arises to upgrade to a larger size.

I'm not gonna try the sugar on the legs part, though.
You don't know what you're missing. Sugar is a natural emollient and humectant.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Great idea, I tend to soak it and then peel it and get rid of any sticky with warm soapy water. Definitely keep your method in mind because it's certainly a lot quicker.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Great idea, I tend to soak it and then peel it and get rid of any sticky with warm soapy water. Definitely keep your method in mind because it's certainly a lot quicker.
You'll have to let me know if it works for you! After all, the quicker you can get stickers off of something, the faster you can buy more tarantulas to put inside of it!

---------- Post added 01-31-2015 at 02:32 PM ----------

Don't forget "ant attractant" Or is "humectant" a word for that? ;)
No, a humectant is-- ohhh, I see what you're doing there. You're trying to get off the couch.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This is a great idea! I normally just pick and scratch at it until I break down into swears and tears and give up lol. I will be sure to use this some time in the near future when I have to remove labels off those soup cups I get at Costco. Such good soup, such good cups :p

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
This is a great idea! I normally just pick and scratch at it until I break down into swears and tears and give up lol. I will be sure to use this some time in the near future when I have to remove labels off those soup cups I get at Costco. Such good soup, such good cups :p
Mmm yes, that's what I used to do. Weep until my fingers bled, leaving bloody glue in my wake. The worst part is peeling it and the paper is left behind. Because then you can't peel it anymore, so you have to scrub the paper and glue off....

It's enough to inspire traumatic flashbacks.