H. Minax Strange behavior

SpiderGuard101

Arachnopeon
Hello all!

Last night I noticed my H. minax burrowing extensively. It had already established a burrow but worked all night to make it longer. Afterwards I noticed a large amount of orange looking fluid on the bottom
of its burrow. Shortly after it appeared to all disappear and was replaced by a giant wad of something
being held in its front legs. It now looks like a black wad of dirt. What is going on!? Could this be an egg sac? I'm getting quite concerned.

Thanks in advance!

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Hello all!

Last night I noticed my H. minax burrowing extensively. It had already established a burrow but worked all night to make it longer. Afterwards I noticed a large amount of orange looking fluid on the bottom
of its burrow. Shortly after it appeared to all disappear and was replaced by a giant wad of something
being held in its front legs. It now looks like a black wad of dirt. What is going on!? Could this be an egg sac? I'm getting quite concerned.

Thanks in advance!

What was the condition of the T when you got it? I assume you got it as an adult?

SpiderGuard101

Arachnopeon
It was in great condition. Violent and vicious just as they are supposed to be. It's about 4 inches in diameter.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Is that normal to have orange liquid prior to egg sac?
T-sac newbie here.
eggs are laid suspended in a fluid that dries after laying. I believe that It is mainly to allow the spider to lay eggs easier since it's easier to pass fluid than solids. It dries soon after laying, and the spider periodically massages the Eggsac to prevent the eggs from sticking together as it dries. The fluid is yellowish in color.

SpiderGuard101

Arachnopeon
It must be an egg sac then. The liquid was yellow/orange. Would a T coat the egg sac in soil? When last I saw it seemed like it was. She webbed her tunnel up and now I can not see in to determine what is happening. Last I saw it had it near its mouth. Would it eat it?

Sorry for the blitzkrieg of questions never experienced this before.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
It must be an egg sac then. The liquid was yellow/orange. Would a T coat the egg sac in soil? When last I saw it seemed like it was. She webbed her tunnel up and now I can not see in to determine what is happening. Last I saw it had it near its mouth. Would it eat it?

You mean the Tarantula was literally putting soil on the liquid? Your T will do a lot of webbing, It will only eat the egg sac if it was a dud. The tarantula might have been carrying the sac, moving it working it lightly with its front legs.

SpiderGuard101

Arachnopeon
Well it wasn't putting soil on it, but I checked before I went to work and it looked white like an egg sac should but when I got
back it looked like a black wad of soil.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Well it wasn't putting soil on it, but I checked before I went to work and it looked white like an egg sac should but when I got
back it looked like a black wad of soil.
My immediate thought is during the rotation of wrapping the fresh mat of silk some dirt got on it. Congrats, sounds like you got a sac on your hands, and a great species as well

---------- Post added 01-31-2015 at 09:39 PM ----------

it could also be the sac being attached to the burrow

SpiderGuard101

Arachnopeon
Well this is exciting I supose! Been keeping Ts for about 3 years now and I've never attempted breeding. Not sure what I will
do with them all!

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Questions are good. Keep asking them.

Spiders often coat their sac in soil or debris as this acts as an easy camouflage for them. It helps prevent predators from picking out the bright white bundle of protein from the rest of the dirt in the burrow.
They also web up their tunnels to prevent predators from even going in the tunnel in the first place. it makes a sort of wall to deter them.
Spiders use their forelimbs to manipulate and rotate the eggsac during its incubation period. It's not fully understood why, but the best hypotheses are to prevent the eggs from sticking together, and to promote airflow over the eggs so they do not suffocate. Spiders often have a reduced prey drive when incubating a sac so that they are less likely to eat the eggs or to leave them unattended while chasing after prey. They usually only eat eggsacs when under extreme stress or when the sac is a dud. Don't disturb her too much and prevent people from making unneeded commotion in and around the room.

Have you ever mated her or if you got her as an adult, has she molted in your care. If she has molted after mating, be it in captivity or in the wild, she will have lost the sperm stored in her body and will not lay a fertile sac unless mated again. If she laid an infertile sac then there is nothing special you need to do, and you can either let her eat it or take it away from her in case it starts to rot and attracts ants.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Well this is exciting I supose! Been keeping Ts for about 3 years now and I've never attempted breeding. Not sure what I will
do with them all!
You can start by getting as much information to get prepared for the big day! Then get a hold of me because I want some :)

---------- Post added 01-31-2015 at 10:03 PM ----------

Questions are good. Keep asking them.

Spiders often coat their sac in soil or debris as this acts as an easy camouflage for them. It helps prevent predators from picking out the bright white bundle of protein from the rest of the dirt in the burrow.
They also web up their tunnels to prevent predators from even going in the tunnel in the first place. it makes a sort of wall to deter them.
Spiders use their forelimbs to manipulate and rotate the eggsac during its incubation period. It's not fully understood why, but the best hypotheses are to prevent the eggs from sticking together, and to promote airflow over the eggs so they do not suffocate. Spiders often have a reduced prey drive when incubating a sac so that they are less likely to eat the eggs or to leave them unattended while chasing after prey. They usually only eat eggsacs when under extreme stress or when the sac is a dud. Don't disturb her too much and prevent people from making unneeded commotion in and around the room.

Have you ever mated her or if you got her as an adult, has she molted in your care. If she has molted after mating, be it in captivity or in the wild, she will have lost the sperm stored in her body and will not lay a fertile sac unless mated again. If she laid an infertile sac then there is nothing special you need to do, and you can either let her eat it or take it away from her in case it starts to rot and attracts ants.
Not all Tarantulas do this camouflage technique though, any Idea why H. Minax would be inclined to doing this?

SpiderGuard101

Arachnopeon
Got this gal about a month or more ago. She hasn't molted and seems to have had no interest in food in that time save 1
Cricket. She has not moulted and the guy I got her from said nothing about her being possibly gravid. Do I need to do anything special? I know I need to make extra sure to keep the humidity correct. And what am I going to do with 50 slings? Lol

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Got this gal about a month or more ago. She hasn't molted and seems to have had no interest in food in that time save 1
Cricket. She has not moulted and the guy I got her from said nothing about her being possibly gravid. Do I need to do anything special? I know I need to make extra sure to keep the humidity correct. And what am I going to do with 50 slings? Lol
Sell some to me :)

---------- Post added 01-31-2015 at 10:08 PM ----------

Your going to want to make sure your T is in an area that is disturbed very little, and i would offer more darkness to the enclosure if its exposed to a decent amount of light

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not all Tarantulas do this camouflage technique though, any Idea why H. Minax would be inclined to doing this?
Could just be instinct, could just be she wants to. Just depends on how she feels at the moment. Every spider is different.

SpiderGuard101

Arachnopeon
Alright moved the enclosure out of the room will all the snake cages because I think they were putting too much light out. She is now in the study room where it's always dark. I didn't see the sac while I was moving her would she have hidden it?

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Alright moved the enclosure out of the room will all the snake cages because I think they were putting too much light out. She is now in the study room where it's always dark. I didn't see the sac while I was moving her would she have hidden it?
Yes. I wouldn't worry about it.