Poll - Do you prefer long lists of species done alphabetically by common name or Latin name?

Do you prefer when long lists of species are done alphabetically by common name or Latin name?

• common name, alphabetically

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just curious about which format people prefer. I'm talking longer lists with dozens of species either by a vendor selling them or on a website with information pertaining to care.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
latin only as well....too many common names overlap imo tbh if a seller has a good price on a T and its in common names ill pass it up, even if they have common then latin. it makes me feel like you realy dont know what you have..

cold blood

Staff member
Common names aren't worth :poop:

Online care sheets aren't much better.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yep. I try to know both of them so I know what people are talking about when they use common names, but use the latin name personally.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Latin only. I don't even look at common names, and I've actually bypassed a couple vendors/sellers who put the common name first. The common names are are confusing, often overlap, and are generally useless.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I prefer Latin,however I familiarize myself with both names...
I like having dealers lists in alphabetical order so I can jump to a page and see if they have what I am looking for..

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Just as above, I prefer scientific names (be it Latin or Latinized Greek). I do like to know common names, for conjugation purposes.

Me: Do you have any Brachypelma's?
LPS: Uhhh, we might...?
Me: Err, do you have Curly Hair spiders, or maybe Fire/Flame Leg/Limb/Knee/Face/Rump spiders?
LPS: Oh, yeah we have those, but be careful, they're poisonous.

It's good to be able to speak the common tongue from time to time.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Long lists done with common names are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, I often don't even bother reading the entire list as it takes too long to see if they even have what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

darthcider

Arachnopeon
Latin, but there is a time and place for common names, even if they cause confusion.
Then its time to educate and spread the word.

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
Latin
Hands down
I hate hate hate common names
The ony time I could see common names being useful is when I read through stupid lists of common names :p

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
im kinda happy noone prefers common.. id never use common for listing...period.. only reason i have common names like gbb LP and LD thats like it XD only cuz its simpler to write then their entire name XD but never anything like "blonde bird eater"

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Long lists done with common names are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, I often don't even bother reading the entire list as it takes to long to see if they even have what I'm looking for.
+1. A list of common names is pure chaos. You don't know what spiders they're talking about.

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
+1. A list of common names is pure chaos. You don't know what spiders they're talking about.
Totally agree.
I feel like the use of laymans terms as such is misinformation.
I wish they did not exist...
Alas, they however do. Therefore, us that posess a brainstem ie: (common sense) must suffer through the aforementioned use of such misaligned terms, despite the overbearing advantages of taking the minuscule amount time it takes to learn the proper names...

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Latin name definitely. Common names have too much room for mis-identification and the like. I use common names when talking to the "uneducated" about Ts, or nicknames when talking about them with my partner and co-collector (although we're both aware of their Latin names). But to anyone in the know generally it'll be Latin.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Latin name definitely. Common names have too much room for mis-identification and the like. I use common names when talking to the "uneducated" about Ts, or nicknames when talking about them with my partner and co-collector (although we're both aware of their Latin names). But to anyone in the know generally it'll be Latin.
I don't use common names with beginners. For one, I don't know more than a handful of common names. Secondly, they're inconsistent; many species have 2 or 3 common names (they not standardized worldwide). Common names can apply to any similar-looking spider, which is part of the problem in using them: they're not specific. Some common names are just dumb sounding (gooty'). Many tarantulas don't have common names. It's a mess.

Using common names is an endorsement for them. I prefer to say something like: 'This is a large terrestrial species from Brazil.' If they're not a spider person, that's what they need to know. If they are a spider person, they should be using latin.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Hmm, I should probably rephrase. By uneducated I mean those not interested in getting into the hobby, not beginners. Anyone with interests I'd always use the Latin name, and inform them of a latin name if they use the common name.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
Agreed with most on this subject Latin names are a must not only for being specific about what type it is but also looking up care bc there is an overlap on common names. Now I personally don't mind the common names listed 2nd as a reference though mainly bc I'm usually looking on the fly at work or out and about using my phone. Lol it sorta makes a quick reminder where to focus.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
The common names are so messed up, you could have an alphabetical list of common names for one species.