Terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
I'm making this thread in light of a recent poll...
I believe it should be a forum "rule" that common names should be used as a last resort.
As in I think it should be something you agree to when registering on Arachnoboards.
Meaning everyone should make an effort to use the Latin associaton at all times.

Do you agree?
Has this been discussed on a serious level before?
If you disagree, why?

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I kinda like pink sexy leg tarantula.I think sometimes to many rules not a good thing.but hopefully the person using the commin name does know the Latin name, there just saving type time .

GG80

Arachnoknight
Personally I think everyone, new and old, in the hobby should be making an effort, and it's not a huge effort, to learn and use the latin names. Cut out any confusion about a species by taking 5-10 seconds to learn the name. Abreviations such as L.p, ggb, genic should be acceptable though.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Personally I think everyone, new and old, in the hobby should be making an effort, and it's not a huge effort, to learn and use the latin names. Cut out any confusion about a species by taking 5-10 seconds to learn the name. Abreviations such as L.p, ggb, genic should be acceptable though.
Periodically a beginner will ask about his spider, using some bizarre common name, and we'll have no idea what he's talking about.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's a nice thought, but I think it's a little impractical and unenforceable. I can't see the admins and moderators here handing out infractions to people for not using a species' binomial name.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Seems a bit extreme perhaps. Surely if someone uses a common name they shouldn't be punished per forum rules, but instead informed of the Latin name so that the rest of us may better help them in their inquiry or whatever it may be.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's too Draconian hah!

I can't be bothered typing out long Latin names, and there's no guarantee a person will know what my version of an abbreviate Latin name will be.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I think enforcing a rule to ban common names is a little too much. If a young person is starting in the hobby and buys from a pet store, chances are it will not be labled by its latin name so how does he or she find out? They either have to ask the question on a forum like here or find a matching image online, which could lead to mistaken identity of the species. By asking the question the person is at least making an effort to find out the latin name and that's all you can ask for really. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, I think people in the hobby should make the effort and be encouraged to find out the scientific name as to avoid mistaken identity and if anything else, you sound smart when you talk about tarantula species to people outside the hobby. :)

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I think enforcing a rule to ban common names is a little too much. If a young person is starting in the hobby and buys from a pet store, chances are it will not be labled by its latin name so how does he or she find out? They either have to ask the question on a forum like here or find a matching image online, which could lead to mistaken identity of the species. By asking the question the person is at least making an effort to find out the latin name and that's all you can ask for really. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, I think people in the hobby should make the effort and be encouraged to find out the scientific name as to avoid mistaken identity and if anything else, you sound smart when you talk about tarantula species to people outside the hobby. :)
+1 to this. If it were a full-blown rule I suspect a lot of new people would be driven away. Educating them is one thing, admonishing them is way too much.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My Z downwithlatin brown color form (Brown Hairy Tarantula aka Walnut Hair Tarantula ) is good case in point -- it gets very confusing indeed.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's a nice thought, but I think it's a little impractical and unenforceable. I can't see the admins and moderators here handing out infractions to people for not using a species' binomial name.
Agreed. But we can, and do, teach them the latin names right off the bat.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
+1 to this. If it were a full-blown rule I suspect a lot of new people would be driven away. Educating them is one thing, admonishing them is way too much.
If it was an actual, enforced rule, I'd leave or post sparingly only when there was an emergency with mine.

David VB

Arachnosquire
We do it on the dutchspeaking forum and yes, it is a rule there :) In the beginning it might seem difficult and too much effort, but after w awhile, you just get used to it and you'll start appreciating the rule, because everybody knows immediatly which species is posted or talked about. Too many rules might be overkill yes, but some (like naming those little creatures the right way) are just too important to not bother with.

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 01:26 AM ----------

If it was an actual, enforced rule, I'd leave or post sparingly only when there was an emergency with mine.
Tbh, that would be your loss, not ours... It's a sign that you lack the respect our little friends deserve imho... Not meaning to be disrespectful to you or anyone, just my opinion on the matter ;)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Would depend on the post

If I needed help with a certain T, then people here would need to know exactly which type of T I was asking about. But for general chat ("My Rosie likes to stand tall while eating") I would probably feel silly saying "My Grammastola rosea...." since the type of T is sorta irrelevant in some cases.
I am still a newbie, and I don't really know all the common names for most, much less the latin.
I am constantly googling T names so I can picture what someone is talking about.

Sana

Arachnoprince
If I needed help with a certain T, then people here would need to know exactly which type of T I was asking about. But for general chat ("My Rosie likes to stand tall while eating") I would probably feel silly saying "My Grammastola rosea...." since the type of T is sorta irrelevant in some cases.
I am still a newbie, and I don't really know all the common names for most, much less the latin.
I am constantly googling T names so I can picture what someone is talking about.
That's how I started out on this forum as well. I still come across names that I google, but I recognize the ones that are frequently discussed here now, and definitely prefer the scientific name.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Indeed. And that is a much better approach than punishing those that don't use them.
I can see it now. "I just bought a chilean rose--" "WEEOO WEEOO *flashing lights* Hello there stupid, I believe you mean a Grammostola rosea or perhaps even a Grammostola porteri. Here's an idiot point. When you get to five idiot points, we change your username to 'stupid' for a week. I bet you'll think twice next time."

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
We do it on the dutchspeaking forum and yes, it is a rule there :) In the beginning it might seem difficult and too much effort, but after w awhile, you just get used to it and you'll start appreciating the rule, because everybody knows immediatly which species is posted or talked about. Too many rules might be overkill yes, but some (like naming those little creatures the right way) are just too important to not bother with.

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 01:26 AM ----------

Tbh, that would be your loss, not ours... It's a sign that you lack the respect our little friends deserve imho... Not meaning to be disrespectful to you or anyone, just my opinion on the matter ;)

I'm glad I'm not on that forum. It wouldn't be my loss at all, because I would NEVER belong to a forum which had Nazi-like rules.

I like typing Goliath or Goliath Pink Toe, instead of the Latin name, or SBlue, or Lv, instead of the Latin name. It saves me time. If someone doesn't understand me, they can ask or PM me directly. You can get used to it, I don't have to.

So David VB, when you see or write about any animal do you always refer to the animal w/their Latin name? Do you write/say to friends "hey I saw this person..." or do you write/say "I saw this Homo sapiens..", Do you do the same for dogs, fish, cats, birds, insects, plants, bacteria, fungi?? If you don't, you are being disrespectful.

It is indeed your opinion. Not meaning to be disrespectful, really? You just were hah, I don't care though.

You really don't know a thing about me, so your opinion is based on nothing of substance, ie the poorest of criteria. Let's see who has more respect, someone that loves their pets and uses common names, or someone that uses scientific names and trades their pets away or has some escape/die etc. As there are people like that on the board.

No T is losing sleep over YOUR definition of my "disrespect", if you are, then you need to see a psychologist. Also, if I stopped coming to the forum, it wouldn't matter to me. I come here for fun. I can find other outlets of fun. Don't get me wrong, I like this forum a lot, but I had fun before the internet existed to the public, so if the entire internet stopped working, I wouldn't care.

Oh wait, my Goliath is jumping up and down, because I didn't type out its current scientific name. My oh my what should I do..............:p

---------- Post added 02-01-2015 at 04:55 PM ----------

I can see it now. "I just bought a chilean rose--" "WEEOO WEEOO *flashing lights* Hello there stupid, I believe you mean a Grammostola rosea or perhaps even a Grammostola porteri. Here's an idiot point. When you get to five idiot points, we change your username to 'stupid' for a week. I bet you'll think twice next time."
That's a great idea, but as I and many others can attest there would be many users w/the same name. There name change would last longer than a week too.

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
No you're absolutely right. There is just so much informality going around on these boards.

I'm thinking we all need uniforms. Perhaps something dark, sharp looking. Maybe knee high boots. We should also elect the most dramatic speaker to be our leader, and uplift our spirits (as well as the spirits of tarantulas everywhere) with inspirational and motivating speeches!

And for those "weaker" minded individuals who use common names, well they should be dealt with appropriately. How could we accomplish this? We could put them in prisons, but then the prisons would be overrun... I know, we'll make camps specifically for these disrespectful tarantula-traitors.

At these camps they can build tarantula enclosures, and do other chores to occupy their time and be useful to everyone else.

After all-- Work makes you free.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
That's a great idea, but as I and many others can attest there would be many users w/the same name. There name change would last longer than a week too.
Guess, for complete public humiliation, their real user name would have to be proceeded by "Stupid" and perhaps their avatar could have dunce hat added to it.
I do an excellent job looking stupid without any help from anyone.
Anyhow, I agree with you guys, let's not make this a strict rule, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.