Feeders had escaped! Help guys? :(

Adrian Jose

Arachnopeon
So when I got my first tarantula, I used to feed it with B. Lateralis. After which, I had 4 females and 2 males of lats who got out of their critters. After a few months, i keep on seeing B. Lateralis around the house even though I switched to dubia roaches already. I even managed to capture one. Where do they hide and breed? Any ideas guys? I need to exterminate these lats ASAP! it creeps the hell out of me. I live in the Philippines, thus, the environment is favorable for them. :eek::eek::eek:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
No great ideas really, and my ideas are based on US climate.
But I would put out those tiny glue board box traps (too small for mice to enter) and keep the house bone dry everywhere -- sinks, under the sinks (think: leaky pipes), tubs -- in fact, I would wipe down any damp surface after use (sink/tub/washing machine). I don't recommend spraying chemicals because of your T. Don't you have a friend with a lizard or something you could borrow that could roam your home and eat them all up?
My fear is they found a crack in the wall and have moved inside the walls.
Check warm spaces -- under the refrigerator especially -- they like moist and they like warm.
They're not usually good climbers, imo -- so that may be 1 thing going for you.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Yikes...this is the only thing that scares me about keeping roaches as feeders.

You're going to have a hard time getting rid of them, I'm sorry to say. Although what Ellenantula said about enlisting the help of lizards might be a good idea - maybe see if you can find anyone with Tokay or House Geckos - Tokay might be better, as they're eating machines.

cold blood

Staff member
In that climate...burn the house down and move!!

I'd never take that roach risk if I lived where the op lived.

Lyth, in our climate infestation of these types of roaches would not be possible :wink:

Sana

Arachnoprince
Roaches creep me out more than crickets and the idea of escaped roaches causing an infestation is the stuff of nightmares. Good luck!

brezo

Arachnosquire
Man that sucks,... i dont keep b. lateralis because they are fast as hell, and can escape anytime if you are not 100 % at what your doing,...good luck with the extermination

Adrian Jose

Arachnopeon
No great ideas really, and my ideas are based on US climate.
But I would put out those tiny glue board box traps (too small for mice to enter) and keep the house bone dry everywhere -- sinks, under the sinks (think: leaky pipes), tubs -- in fact, I would wipe down any damp surface after use (sink/tub/washing machine). I don't recommend spraying chemicals because of your T. Don't you have a friend with a lizard or something you could borrow that could roam your home and eat them all up?
My fear is they found a crack in the wall and have moved inside the walls.
Check warm spaces -- under the refrigerator especially -- they like moist and they like warm.
They're not usually good climbers, imo -- so that may be 1 thing going for you.
Thanks! Ill start hunting down their nests this weekend! Haha wish me luck guys

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 10:12 PM ----------

This is really effective! We had a lot of tokay geckos back then and no roaches are to be found. Now i cant see any tokay gecko roaming even outside the house. :(

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Thanks! Ill start hunting down their nests this weekend! Haha wish me luck guys

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 10:12 PM ----------

This is really effective! We had a lot of tokay geckos back then and no roaches are to be found. Now i cant see any tokay gecko roaming even outside the house. :(
Bummer :(...keep trying though! I read a wikipedia article that said Tokay are becoming rarer due to various factors that I won't mention here (don't want to start up an off-topic debate), but I'm sure you'll be able to find a couple sooner or later. Oh I forgot to mention - I'm sure you probably know this but I just want to be sure - make sure you wear some leather gloves when you go looking for them. They can draw blood with those little bug-munchin' razor teeth if they want to.

RomanBuck

Arachnopeon
Not sure what the conditions are like over there but usually all you would have to do at the max would be to bug bomb your house... The minimum I would do is set out little traps of fruit and re use them for tarantula food

-=}GA']['OR{=-

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I second the use of the glue traps. Just put them in the area you see them. I just started a colony of these. These little bastidds make me nervous. I have them on maximum security lockdown. They are in a large KK, inside a large bin, inside a 40 gallon breeder tank! LOL.

I have had them for a couple of months, with no escapees. {knock on wood}

I have a friend who said she could not keep them contained, she said she did end up catching them all with the glue traps. It just took awhile.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just breed some L. parahybana and let an egg sac of slings loose....lol

Sana

Arachnoprince
Just breed some L. parahybana and let an egg sac of slings loose....lol
Yikes! I just pictured my family's reaction to me doing something like that. It's a worse nightmare than the infestation of escaped roaches!

azroc909

Arachnosquire
Wow good luck... Philippines humid = roach reproduction mayhem. Try everything from pesticides to glue traps all over. Ive heard also that lobster roaches can be a pain and infest your home like the german roach too. Ive always used dubias and crickets scared to use any other roach lol.