Is there a point where a T will refuse to eat pre-killed and only eat live prey?

GG80

Arachnoknight
I've just been pondering this in my head, I have NO intention of experimenting and trying it out but was wondering could you keep a tarantula on only pre-killed food if it had been fed like this since it was a sling? I know they have evolved as hunters so would they eventually have to depend on live food? Again, this is just a thought in my head, I can't sleep and I'm bored.

awiec

Arachnoprince
If the spider is hungry then I'm sure it will grab pre-killed at all sizes, there are several spider species that are known for eating dead prey. If I were to kill a cricket and offer it to one of my adult females I'm sure they would take it if there were hungry but seeing as they are plump they probably would wait for better pickings.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I've never fed pre-killed to any of mine, even the .5" avic sling.
But I was thinking, in a similar vein, especially for more rural or climate-isolated people, that a freezer with fresh frozen crix might make a difference if live stuff couldn't be brought in.
Please thaw them first. lol
I have seen youtube videos if you sort of jiggle the dead prey with your tongs, Ts might think it is alive.
(am I now reduced to using youtube videos to recommend this practice?):wall:

cold blood

Staff member
Some will take pre-killed their whole lives, others will stop...some even show a marked preference for live even as slings.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Some will take pre-killed their whole lives, others will stop...some even show a marked preference for live even as slings.
And its always the one sling that is the size of a spec of dirt,your then forced to find a prey item that is the size of a spec of dust!

Sana

Arachnoprince
And its always the one sling that is the size of a spec of dirt,your then forced to find a prey item that is the size of a spec of dust!
I was feeding my dust specs this evening. All were given prekilled as I am currently awaiting a hatch for some darn pinheads. I'll check back in the morning and see if I've had any luck. Catching pinheads makes me crabby sometimes, so I'm hoping the dust specs will help me out.