My Genic Has Magic Powers

Spaceblues

Arachnopeon
Y'all didn't tell me these things have magical tractor beams on their fangs. I was so excited to feed my genic for the first time so I could see this famed feeding response for myself.

She was sitting in her burrow and I couldn't see her except for a few tips of her toes. Dropped the cricket in and it ran all the way across the enclosure like it was on fire, into the burrow, and right into Ginny's jaws.

Who needs to hunt when you can just summon your food into your mouth? Maybe she can teach me her ways? Don't mind me, I'll be over here yelling at this Twix to "Get in mah bellah!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Hm, mine has not developed this power.

She is pretty good at making crickets disappear though.

cold blood

Staff member
Lol, its quite funny how often this happens, actually....happened repeatedly today...I fed 6 t's live crickets, this happened with 3...

1.5" B. vagans at the mouth of a burrow....cricket dead sprints to the hole only to be engulfed....1.25" P . cancerides in the burrow....cricket rockets away, into the small backdoor, into the cavern and right into the spider that barely flinched making the grab....A. versicolor 2.5"...crickets hits the bottom, runs straight UP the wood piece, right to the entrance of the webbing. Lil versi just had to raise up a bit....this spider did come down harder than the other two. Stupid crickets should be more wary. :embarrassed:

Then there's ones that eat so quick I almost never see it....my I. mira (1.5")....for the first maybe 20 feedings I'd drop in a cricket, put the lid on (or the cricket will leap out), look in and the cricket is gone....while I was manipulating the deli cup and making commotion snapping the lid back...over and over again:?....I saw it make its first kill completely outside the trap door....hit it, flipped to its back where it sat until it actually began to eat....which it went subterranean for. You blink and you miss these guys, its ridiculous...I freakin' love it!:biggrin:

Sometimes it all happens so quick you miss it if you blink with MANY species, though.....I'll look around for the cricket only to find it already dead....I often have no idea what actually happened:?...but wait, the cricket was just way over here??? the t hasn't changed position??? there wasn't time for that to happen....magical spiders t's are :worship:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Crickets are dumb! They often run straight into the T who is more than willing to accept "the sacrifice offered" - Crickets for the T GOD! :D

Kidding aside - don't drop it into the burrow (bad idea anyways as you won't see much) but instead somewhere else. If the damn thing still runs in - oh well. But if not...get ready to see the "deathrace"! T is winning - always so the outcome is clear. But the seconds until then? PRECIOUS! :D

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Lucky, ours has eaten 1 out of 3 cricks since we got her...and that was whilst we were asleep >.<

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Crickets are dumb! They often run straight into the T who is more than willing to accept "the sacrifice offered" - Crickets for the T GOD! :D
Funny you should mention that. I have been noticing that in many cases, crickets would scurry in the direction of the spider and then stop and freeze, causing me to wonder if they were able to sense the spider's presence without the spider having to move at all. Maybe it has been coincidental and the crickets just stopped for a rest. If that is not the case, they apparently forget the threat they sensed, because they usually get chomped in the end unless the spider is not hungry.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Funny you should mention that. I have been noticing that in many cases, crickets would scurry in the direction of the spider and then stop and freeze, causing me to wonder if they were able to sense the spider's presence without the spider having to move at all. Maybe it has been coincidental and the crickets just stopped for a rest. If that is not the case, they apparently forget the threat they sensed, because they usually get chomped in the end unless the spider is not hungry.
Here I thought that I was the only one that had this problem. I wonder if tarantulas give off a scent or something that tells the cricket it's there. I suppose that scent might not be appropriate as I'm not even sure that crickets have a sense of smell. Guess I'll do some research and come up with a more educated theory.

Spaceblues

Arachnopeon
Finally got to see her eat tonight. Whoa. Adding teleportation to her list of skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here I thought that I was the only one that had this problem. I wonder if tarantulas give off a scent or something that tells the cricket it's there. I suppose that scent might not be appropriate as I'm not even sure that crickets have a sense of smell. Guess I'll do some research and come up with a more educated theory.
Let me kno I was just asked the same question by my husband last night!

Sana

Arachnoprince
Quick search yields information that says that crickets do have a sense of smell and spiders do have a scent. Whether or not a cricket would recognize the scent is still open for debate.