need a small reward

Drache

Arachnosquire
So I have to go to the expo this coming Sunday, and I'm kind of dreading the trip. I don't have a car, and while public transport will get me there, it's over two hours each way, with a longish three block walk between two transit systems. and the weather will be seasonally :poop:ty - freezing for sure, probably with biting winds, maybe with precipitation. So I need a reward. Since I will already be spending money on necessary supplies and transport, it has to be a very reasonably priced reward.
Please help me decide among the following (discussions of relative merits highly encouraged):
- Acanthoscurria insubtilis
- Euathlus sp. 'red'
- Eupalaestrus campestratus
- Paraphysa scrofa
- Phormictopus cancerides

Last edited by a moderator:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why not just order online? It would be safer for the spider.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
well if your concerned about them getting cold every time i go to an expo in the winter i use a thermo bag and heat packs ;) never had one animal die on our 1.4hr trip back or the 20mins we usually play around once we are home just an idea :) but id sayphormic. i love my sp purple :)

Last edited:

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Pyro is right, you should take an ice chest and a heat pack. As far as which T to get, make it worth your while and get all 5 species and what ever else catches your eye at the show

Drache

Arachnosquire
I am not worried about the critters I'm packing - got tons of experience from my reptile birthday party days and a full supply of insulated travel accommodations both hot and cold. Everyone will be fine - except myself. I myself hate the cold and when one is wearing puffy layers, carrying any amounts of bags is a (strong expletive) chore.
So can we focus on my reward here?
I can barely afford one, so all five is definitely not happening - neither is shipping. The reason I am spending five hours on public transportation round-trip is because that's the only way I can get largish amounts of f/t rodents without forking over to the shipping industry for overnight delivery.
So which one?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Well, since you wrote Acanthoscurria insubtilis first, that must be the one you really want.
Go for it, come home, post some pix so we can see!

cold blood

Staff member
I'd go with either the Acanthoscurria, as they seem to be rarer around these parts....or P. cancerides...well, its a must have t IMO. The only terrestrial t's that have a feeding response that may match the great Pamphobetus.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'd go with either the Acanthoscurria, as they seem to be rarer around these parts....or P. cancerides...well, its a must have t IMO. The only terrestrial t's that have a feeding response that may match the great Pamphobetus.
+1 - Either the Acanthoscurria or Phormictopus. Both are on my wishlist. I hear P. cancerides can have a testy attitude.

But it depends on what you're looking for. Calm or defensive?

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
I'd take a lunch bag with insulation. find a heat pack if possible or some hand warmers might suffice in a pinch as long as you place the slings on the other side of the bag. I had to use public transportation to get to the Orlando show so I know how you feel. but they had one table of rosies and curly hairs mostly...suntigers as well, but nothing I'd wanted. Sad turnout for T's :(

I'd vote for Eupalaestrus campestratus myself or any Aphonopelma but that's just my taste in T's.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P. cancerides they start off a beautiful dark blue and then turn a rusty pinkish bronze and they get quite large with a healthy
attitude even at their water dish lol mine are always out and moving stuff around . 2nd E. campestratus very pretty and also get quite large but very slow grower . The P . cancerides grows pretty fast .

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd so snatch the Euathlus sp. "red" and scofra (btw - it's no longer Paraphysa, that one is now Euathlus, too )

cold blood

Staff member
I'd so snatch the Euathlus sp. "red" and scofra (btw - it's no longer Paraphysa, that one is now Euathlus, too )
Parvula as well...it may be the best looking t currently in the genus.

Drache

Arachnosquire
Are you going to the White Plains show?
Yes indeed

Well, since you wrote Acanthoscurria insubtilis first, that must be the one you really want.
Go for it, come home, post some pix so we can see!
The list was alphabetical, but this one's on there because I really like my A.geniculata and figure this'll be like a ruddy version

+1 - Either the Acanthoscurria or Phormictopus. Both are on my wishlist. I hear P. cancerides can have a testy attitude.

But it depends on what you're looking for. Calm or defensive?
I've got enough calm Ts, so it would be fun to add a little testy to my collection

Thanks for the correction - that seems to make sense somehow. Both of those would be hard to pass up, and deciding between the two also hard, although the E.scrofa is easier to find, so I should probably go for the E. sp.'red'.

It seems that the Euathlus sp. 'red', and the A.insubtilis are the fore-runners right now, maybe mostly because they're less often available. Which is also why for just five more bucks than either of my fore-runners, I could get both the P.scofa and the P. cancerides.
Ah - the mind of an addict . . . - of course it's scrambling to see how many bucks I can shake loose for a second T.
Either way - thinking about it does help to make the trip more appealing. Thanks for indulging me.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I'll know whether I'm going or not by Friday,I'm waiting on income tax.If I do I have a little P.cancerides you can has.Maybe you can buy one then,and at least get two for your efforts.I need supplies and crickets,so I'd really like to go,but I can't go w/o cash.

Sydney A

Arachnopeon
I am hoping my tax return comes before the monthly show here, lol. Stay warm!

cold blood

Staff member
although the E.scrofa is easier to find, so I should probably go for the E. sp.'red'.
E. sp. red shouldn't be any more difficult to locate than scrofa....prices should be comparable as well. Both are cheap (even as sexed adult females) and readily available.

Drache

Arachnosquire
I'll know whether I'm going or not by Friday,I'm waiting on income tax.If I do I have a little P.cancerides you can has.Maybe you can buy one then,and at least get two for your efforts.I need supplies and crickets,so I'd really like to go,but I can't go w/o cash.
Yup - cash is the problem here too

let me know whether you're going - perhaps we can meet at Anastasia's table

---------- Post added 02-03-2015 at 04:54 PM ----------

E. sp. red shouldn't be any more difficult to locate than scrofa....prices should be comparable as well. Both are cheap (even as sexed adult females) and readily available.
I'm just going by what I see more often
you're right in that they're both inexpensive relative to anything medium priced even - the difference is minor, and I'm just using this dithering to psych myself up to brave the weather

cold blood

Staff member
If you are low on cash your answer is a no brainer in my eyes....P. cancerides all the way....by far the most "bang for the buck" of any you have listed...and even if your list was 3 times as long...They are a lot of t for the $$....good size, better attitude as you mentioned havving enough "calm" t's, this species will be a breath of fresh air....they eat like horses and grow like weeds...and they're just so gosh darn inexpensive.