So when is the "right" time to try an Old World species?

Squidies

Arachnopeon
(For the record, I have no intention of getting an OW species myself anytime soon!!)

I've seen a few threads discouraging others from getting OW species. On one hand I do understand the concerns about the individual as well as the image of the hobby should the person get bitten, however, I also feel that if the person has done their research, knows the risks, and still feels that they are ready, that they should get whatever species they want.

Regardless,

My question however is; if you were to make a "road map" of species from beginner species to advanced, what species would that include and in what order and time span?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Lols..search the threads my man! This very question is being debated in the post directly above yours!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
For the average person, after having had NW adults for a couple years, including some faster and feistier South Americans. After that Psalmos are a good step. Too many people assume they're the exception and rush into OW's. You don't get a star on your forehead for how fast you can get advanced species.

Squidies

Arachnopeon
Lols..search the threads my man! This very question is being debated in the post directly above yours!
I know, I was just in that thread. Saw a lot of back and forth mud slinging, but not a lot of solid advice other than "DONT DO IT". That's why the question came up. lol.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
For the average person, after having had NW adults for a couple years, including some faster and feistier South Americans. After that Psalmos are a good step. Too many people assume they're the exception and rush into OW's. You don't get a star on your forehead for how fast you can get advanced species.
You don't?! Then why am I even bothering... Really wanted that gold star.

OP: I don't think there is a set amount in months or years or what have you. Experience, comfort, aptitude-- these all play a part of it. Some people are comfortable right off the bat. Some people go from nervous to comfortable after the first threat display. And some people need more time to adjust.

Hand-eye coordination, judgement, ect.

There's no point in rushing though. Enjoy the journey and the twists it takes.

Ashton

Arachnoknight

OP: I don't think there is a set amount in months or years or what have you. Experience, comfort, aptitude-- these all play a part of it. Some people are comfortable right off the bite. Some people go from nervous to comfortable after the first threat display. And some people need more time to adjust.

I would like to thanks you for what you said. This is basis for me when I am pro getting an OW at a certain point.

Getting an OW is an incredible responsibility I feel. You have to be able to care properly, not get hurt but above all, not let other people get hurt because you're being dumb. You need to react well and be smart. In my case one huge part of them for me was how do I handle medications and venoms of other animals, I have an extremely high tolerance and will say that came in handy when I was bit by my P. metallica and walked to school with a vicious 5 hour charlie horse. Expect anything but my OWs don't run nearly as much as my NWs.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
From everything that I've seen since I joined arachnoboards, all the warnings and facts about OW species are valid. As well as the benifits and joys. But asking when are you ready? It makes me think of those movies with the mentors saying if you ask if your ready then you aren't yet. Now of course that doesn't account for our own personal ego or cockiness (yes I'll admit that I got my p irminia pair being cocky)
Honestly in my opinion being what I consider fresh to the trade. If you really want to go that route research til it's second thought and honestly I think of my agressive species as if Im buying a poisonous snake (easiest parallel for my mind) and they need 200% respect to be owned.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Start off with some NW terrestrials, when you have kept those successfully (preferably juveniles, sub-adults and adults) for a year or two, get some NW tropical terrestrials, keep those successfully then move to nw aboreals.. then after keeping all these successfully as juveniles-adults I would say you'll be ready for an OW (obviously if you feel comfortable over the thought of owning an OW also has an influence on whether you're ready or not)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I would like to thanks you for what you said. This is basis for me when I am pro getting an OW at a certain point.

Getting an OW is an incredible responsibility I feel. You have to be able to care properly, not get hurt but above all, not let other people get hurt because you're being dumb. You need to react well and be smart. In my case one huge part of them for me was how do I handle medications and venoms of other animals, I have an extremely high tolerance and will say that came in handy when I was bit by my P. metallica and walked to school with a vicious 5 hour charlie horse. Expect anything but my OWs don't run nearly as much as my NWs.
Yes, I feel like a lot of people forget that it's not just a faster, more defensive spider they're picking up. It's something that can potentially do a lot of harm to you and the people/animals you live with. Every time you open that OWs enclosure, you're putting yourself at risk. Regardless of skill level, or time in the hobby. You don't become an OW whisperer after having them for five or ten or more years. Poec's never been bitten, but that doesn't mean he can't be.

As long as that OW is alive, it's a risk. You have to consider those risks completely and decide if you're willing to take them.

Squidies

Arachnopeon

OP: I don't think there is a set amount in months or years or what have you. Experience, comfort, aptitude-- these all play a part of it. Some people are comfortable right off the bite. Some people go from nervous to comfortable after the first threat display. And some people need more time to adjust.

Thank you for an honest opinion. This is pretty much the way I feel as well. Like I said in my OP, I have no intention of getting an OW species anytime soon. I do have my eye on a P. metallica somewhere down the line, but I've got plenty of other T's I'm interested in way before I even think of one of those. That being said, if suddenly I decided to get one, I'd just suck it up, do my research, accept the responsibility, and do the best I could (which really I think is the only way you can learn anything, especially in this hobby).

In the meantime, the next T's I'll be looking to get will probably be a A. geniculata and an A. avicularia :)

(Also I can attest from work, those gold stars aren't worth squat.)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Thank you for an honest opinion. This is pretty much the way I feel as well. Like I said in my OP, I have no intention of getting an OW species anytime soon. I do have my eye on a P. metallica somewhere down the line, but I've got plenty of other T's I'm interested in way before I even think of one of those. That being said, if suddenly I decided to get one, I'd just suck it up, do my research, accept the responsibility, and do the best I could (which really I think is the only way you can learn anything, especially in this hobby).

In the meantime, the next T's I'll be looking to get will probably be a A. geniculata and an A. avicularia :)
Awesome choices! After having the A. geniculata for a bit, you should get a pampho. They're amazing tarantulas!

And don't worry. Most everyone has their eye on old worlds! I have a wish list that includes a bunch of old worlds. No harm in having goals and aspirations when it comes to what you want your collection to be in the future!

It's just important to be patient for both your sake and the tarantula's sake.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Beginners - Slow moving new worlds with non potent venom and reluctant to show defensive behaviour: Brachypelma sp and the like for terrestrial... Avicularia genus if arboreal.

Intermediate - faster moving new worlds with slightly higher venom potency with a tendency to show defensive behaviour: Acanthoscurria sp, Phormictopus sp for terrestrial. Psalmopoeus sp or Tappies if arboreal.

Advanced - extremely fast moving spiders which show no hesitation when it comes to defensive behaviour, very potent venom: Haplopelma sp, Chilobrachy sp. for terrestrial. Stromatopelma sp, Cyriopagopus sp. if arboreal. (I'd add Theraphosa sp to this list to due to care).

Once a beginner has become used to interacting with the tarantula, rehousing etc, keeping it alive, cleaning bolus out etc id say your ready for intermediate. By this time you should be able to sufficiently research species and gather an idea on what tarantula will suit you and the equipment needed to prevent silly mistakes like using hands inside enclosures etc...

Same as above just with a lot more defensive behaviour, possibilty of recapturing bolting spiders without harm to you or the tarantula, and able to stay calm during the process, raised a spider from intermediate category from sling-adult. I'd recommend buying slings once you advance up from beginners, if you aren't already raising them as it will help you get a better understanding of the speed and temperament of said tarantula I'd say you're ready for the switch to advanced species.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I rushed through my stepping stones and after having a T. gigas for a month I was absolutely ready for anything and so far my pokies are nothing like that Tappie. And as for terrestrial/ fossorial OWs I must say get an Ephebopus first and that should prepare you just fine, except Haplopelmas and P. murinus, those are probably my 2nd most dangerous species. You have to test the water but my h. albostriatum came out of her packing glipping on her back, slapping at me. OBTs are a whole other world, very fast and don't know where they're going.

Squidies

Arachnopeon
From everything that I've seen since I joined arachnoboards, all the warnings and facts about OW species are valid. As well as the benifits and joys. But asking when are you ready? It makes me think of those movies with the mentors saying if you ask if your ready then you aren't yet. Now of course that doesn't account for our own personal ego or cockiness (yes I'll admit that I got my p irminia pair being cocky)
Honestly in my opinion being what I consider fresh to the trade. If you really want to go that route research til it's second thought and honestly I think of my agressive species as if Im buying a poisonous snake (easiest parallel for my mind) and they need 200% respect to be owned.
Completely agree. And again, I have no intention of getting an OW anytime in the near future. Just wanted to hear some opinions on what others feel would "prepare" someone to the point that they'd be comfortable recommending an OW species.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't think there is a set amount in months or years or what have you. Experience, comfort, aptitude
+1. There's no set time, it varies with the person and the spider. Some can get OW's early on and do well with them, but most can't. There's no shame in that. It doesn't make you any less of a keeper. We're all learning, even after decades. I had NW terrestrials for my first several years. It was GREAT training. Now I have a majority of OW's, and I have a solid foundation for working with them.

To the OP: The only people who are impressed by you getting an advanced species, are people whose opinions you should ignore in the first place.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I rushed through my stepping stones and after having a T. gigas for a month I was absolutely ready for anything and so far my pokies are nothing like that Tappie. And as for terrestrial/ fossorial OWs I must say get an Ephebopus first and that should prepare you just fine, except Haplopelmas and P. murinus, those are probably my 2nd most dangerous species. You have to test the water but my h. albostriatum came out of her packing glipping on her back, slapping at me. OBTs are a whole other world, very fast and don't know where they're going.
Mmm, T. gigas. That's on my wishlist! Beautiful T.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Just wanted to hear some opinions on what others feel would "prepare" someone to the point that they'd be comfortable recommending an OW species.
The best advice: work your way up in stages as you're comfortable.

Chexmix

Arachnopeon

(Also I can attest from work, those gold stars aren't worth squat.)
I would definitely recommend A. avicularia. Fortunately mine is a rescue from someone whom couldn't care for her properly and she's somehow survived the 16 years almost being neglected. Now she's 18 and thriving in a nice big 18x18x12 Exo Terra.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
To the OP: The only people who are impressed by you getting an advanced species, are people whose opinions you should ignore in the first place.
Couldn't be truer words, your tarantulas should be your passion not your trophies.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Also a lot of people want a certain specie just because it's colour and "cool factor", if your buying for those reasons then you're going the wrong way about it.