online order

EODviper

Arachnopeon
I am looking to put in an order for some new Ts online. I wanted to pick up a few but I'm not sure what to get. My goal is to have a very diverse collection. Right now I have an M. Balfouri, A. Diversipes, P. Irminia, B. Smithi and a Hapalopus sp. Colombia small.
I was looking at swiftinverts.com because they have the B. Jacksoni scorpion I would like I just don't know what else to get. I would love suggestions. Also If anyone has ordered from them before I would love to hear a review.
Thank you:biggrin:

cold blood

Staff member
I am looking to put in an order for some new Ts online. I wanted to pick up a few but I'm not sure what to get. My goal is to have a very diverse collection. Right now I have an M. Balfouri, A. Diversipes, P. Irminia, B. Smithi and a Hapalopus sp. Colombia small.
I was looking at swiftinverts.com because they have the B. Jacksoni scorpion I would like I just don't know what else to get. I would love suggestions. Also If anyone has ordered from them before I would love to hear a review.
Thank you:biggrin:
First off, swifts is a very reputable, reliable dealer....but don't come here asking for reviews, there is a section specifically for that, just look through it and it will answer your questions about any dealer/breeder you buy from.

Second, I would suggest waiting a month, maybe 2 until the temps are more conducive for shipping....heck when it gets warmer you can go with cheaper shipping and save $$ that could be spent on an extra couple spiders.

Lastly, do yourself a favor and peruse the classified section here before you order. Do your homework and you can double or quadruple your order while spending the same or less hard earned $. Private breeders also have a review section to keep your mind at ease.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Hey EODviper. How goes in your neck of our woods? I wanted to offer you the experience that I recently had with shipping here during the winter. Since we have the bizarre weather patterns like the last couple of days have been (for folks tuning in from other parts of the world two days ago it was in the 60's, yesterday it snowed all day, and today is supposed to be in the high 50's) it is possible to safely overnight during the winter. I received a box a couple weeks ago and everyone came through just fine. What I didn't consider in the first place was that no matter how great it is here during the day, the overnight low is the important factor in shipping during the winter. From the time that my shipment was planned originally to the actual shipping day ended up being five weeks. Some dealers and breeders will ship if the overnight low is above 30 F, some not unless it's above 40 F. In five weeks, I got one single night that the temps were above 35. Moral of the story, ordering now is possible but can be a pain when dealing with a reputable and responsible dealer or breeder, which is my preference. Check the ten day weather forecast in a couple different places before you order and make sure that you have a weeknight with mild temps available when you intend to order, otherwise you may be in for a long and frustrating wait.

That said, with the goal of a diverse collection in mind, can you give a couple of characteristics that you would like in your next tarantula? If you're leaving it open, based on the last listing I saw for Swift's, I would recommend N. chromatus, P. cancerides, or any Pamphobeteus. All three are terrestrials with a little extra attitude, great colors, and a good feeding response. I believe all three are also considered intermediate. I have all three and absolutely love them.

EODviper

Arachnopeon
First off, swifts is a very reputable, reliable dealer....but don't come here asking for reviews, there is a section specifically for that, just look through it and it will answer your questions about any dealer/breeder you buy from.

Second, I would suggest waiting a month, maybe 2 until the temps are more conducive for shipping....heck when it gets warmer you can go with cheaper shipping and save $$ that could be spent on an extra couple spiders.

Lastly, do yourself a favor and peruse the classified section here before you order. Do your homework and you can double or quadruple your order while spending the same or less hard earned $. Private breeders also have a review section to keep your mind at ease.
thanks for the advice and as you can see I'm in my "homework phase" for my future order. Just wanted to get an idea of what people had in mind for some Ts to research.
I know there is a section for the reviews I only added it because it tied in to my inquiry, I wasn't trying to be rude or waste anyone's time by it.
I have been checking the classifieds and haven't seen the scorpion I have been looking for. Will definitely keep looking

cold blood

Staff member
No biggie, I'm often surprised at just how many newer members are seemingly unaware of the sections and both their importance and reliability. Glad to know you have them in your back pocket already.

Any ideas as to the species you're looking at?

EODviper

Arachnopeon
Hey EODviper. How goes in your neck of our woods? I wanted to offer you the experience that I recently had with shipping here during the winter. Since we have the bizarre weather patterns like the last couple of days have been (for folks tuning in from other parts of the world two days ago it was in the 60's, yesterday it snowed all day, and today is supposed to be in the high 50's) it is possible to safely overnight during the winter. I received a box a couple weeks ago and everyone came through just fine. What I didn't consider in the first place was that no matter how great it is here during the day, the overnight low is the important factor in shipping during the winter. From the time that my shipment was planned originally to the actual shipping day ended up being five weeks. Some dealers and breeders will ship if the overnight low is above 30 F, some not unless it's above 40 F. In five weeks, I got one single night that the temps were above 35. Moral of the story, ordering now is possible but can be a pain when dealing with a reputable and responsible dealer or breeder, which is my preference. Check the ten day weather forecast in a couple different places before you order and make sure that you have a weeknight with mild temps available when you intend to order, otherwise you may be in for a long and frustrating wait.

That said, with the goal of a diverse collection in mind, can you give a couple of characteristics that you would like in your next tarantula? If you're leaving it open, based on the last listing I saw for Swift's, I would recommend N. chromatus, P. cancerides, or any Pamphobeteus. All three are terrestrials with a little extra attitude, great colors, and a good feeding response. I believe all three are also considered intermediate. I have all three and absolutely love them.
hey Sana things are good up here like you said it's been pretty warm here. I will Def check the future weather. But I honestly may wait for this order. But you know how in wyoming the months of march through may can still be very cold. It will all be weather dependent.
I am going to try and take cold bloods advice and try to check classifieds and such first still. I love the list you gave me they seem awesome. I will Def be doing more research. Thank you guys:)

Sana

Arachnoprince
Glad to hear things are good. I'm hoping that March won't have a hissy fit the weekend of the show. That would be too bad. Can't wait to here what you end up getting. My recent acquisitions are keeping me on my toes.

Randomjoe

Arachnopeon
After looking at Swift's list maybe N. Chromatus, C. Darlingi, M. Cabocla, or an Ephebopus may be good choices

EODviper

Arachnopeon
No biggie, I'm often surprised at just how many newer members are seemingly unaware of the sections and both their importance and reliability. Glad to know you have them in your back pocket already.

Any ideas as to the species you're looking at?
thanks man I appreciate it.
and I'm not sure. I really kinda am stretched. Every new thing I see I want. And obviously can only get so many. I Def want the b. Jacksoni though. I do like sana's suggestions as well as randomjoe.

---------- Post added 02-05-2015 at 02:36 PM ----------

Glad to hear things are good. I'm hoping that March won't have a hissy fit the weekend of the show. That would be too bad. Can't wait to here what you end up getting. My recent acquisitions are keeping me on my toes.
I know I can't wait till that show. I hope weather is good. Come to think of it I may as well hold my order until I check that show out. There is another reptile show I saw in feb on the 21st I'm wondering how it will be

After looking at Swift's list maybe N. Chromatus, C. Darlingi, M. Cabocla, or an Ephebopus may be good choices
thanks man these all sound awesome

Sana

Arachnoprince
thanks man I appreciate it.
and I'm not sure. I really kinda am stretched. Every new thing I see I want. And obviously can only get so many. I Def want the b. Jacksoni though. I do like sana's suggestions as well as randomjoe.

I know I can't wait till that show. I hope weather is good. Come to think of it I may as well hold my order until I check that show out. There is another reptile show I saw in feb on the 21st I'm wondering how it will be

thanks man these all sound awesome
Which show is on the 21st? I missed that one in the chaos that I call life.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I've heard that of the shows in our area Rocky Mountain is definitely the best for tarantulas. This recommendation comes from a guy at our good LPS who has a large collection of his own. I'm going to have to check my schedule to see whether or not I get to go. I'm definitely going to keep my fingers crossed though. I could use a fun outing. Winter is starting to really drag on me.

EODviper

Arachnopeon
I've heard that of the shows in our area Rocky Mountain is definitely the best for tarantulas. This recommendation comes from a guy at our good LPS who has a large collection of his own. I'm going to have to check my schedule to see whether or not I get to go. I'm definitely going to keep my fingers crossed though. I could use a fun outing. Winter is starting to really drag on me.
I'm glad to hear that. I'm Def gonna go. Let me know if your gonna go. Maybe I'll see you there.
I hear you about winter. But it's pretty nice by me today