Superworms... boy do they dig fast!

RickysReptiles

Arachnosquire
So today I decided to try my B. Smithi on a superworm. She hasn't been eating since she molted a couple of weeks ago, so I figured I'd try something other than a cricket. So, I toss in the worm and within just a few seconds the worm is gone. Dug itself into the substrate. haha! Is it oging to come to the surface and bite the spider? I feel dumb even saying that! But, seriously, should I worry?

I tossed in a cricket after, and she ate finally. So all is good in the hood. Now I'm picturing the worm moving through the soil and all I can see is this:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
LOL, good post, just be careful when feeding your T's superworms. I spoke to a T owner who had such a beautiful Cobalt Blue but got eaten by some beetles when it went into molt, he said they must have dug in the enclosure and turned into beetles then ate his CB at her most vulnerable state, how sad. :( So always keep an eye on those worms.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Super worms can and will kill a tarantula. I would remove the B. smithi from the enclosure immediately and sift substrate until I found the darn thing. I don't use super worms for fear that this exact thing will happen and a prized pet will end up on the menu rather than the intended outcome. Good luck!

RickysReptiles

Arachnosquire
Super worms can and will kill a tarantula. I would remove the B. smithi from the enclosure immediately and sift substrate until I found the darn thing. I don't use super worms for fear that this exact thing will happen and a prized pet will end up on the menu rather than the intended outcome. Good luck!
Really? That sounds like a nightmare. She's put SO much work into rearranging her setup - I really don't want to have to mess it up up if I don't seriously need to.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really? That sounds like a nightmare. She's put SO much work into rearranging her setup - I really don't want to have to mess it up up if I don't seriously need to.
Unfortunately you do need to, or you may end up with a dead spider.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The spider will rearrange its enclosure again. I'd suggest not using superworms without first crushing the heads. Those jaws can do some massive damage to a tarantula.

RickysReptiles

Arachnosquire
The spider will rearrange its enclosure again. I'd suggest not using superworms without first crushing the heads. Those jaws can do some massive damage to a tarantula.
Yeah, I'm sure she will - still, shes done a lot of work this go'round. No worries. Gives me an excuse to hold her anyway! And I'll keep that in mind about the worms. Smushy smushy before feed. lol

TLover007

Arachnosquire
There is no need to crush heads every single time. But if like in this case, you are unsure if the T will eat (maybe premolt or fasting) then you can crush heads... i love feeding supers... but caution should be used... if in doubt, crush that head!! LOL

cold blood

Staff member
IMG_2483.jpg Like Bob, I recommend always crushing the head of a superworm...they can't burrow away, they won't turn into beetles, and they can't bit the t while its being killed. They have huge mandibles, I see no reason not to disable them as the worm will still wriggle enough to get the t's attention.

And yeah, those superworms will burrow down, turn into beetles and lay dormant until a food source becomes available...and in a t enclosure the next food source WILL be your freshly molted t. This pic is from a local that contacted me after finding his freshly molted GBB split open in the morning, with these beetles feeding at the source of the fatal wound.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I would remove the B. smithi from the enclosure immediately and sift substrate until I found the darn thing.
I agree. Within the last month I had to replace all of my rosie's substrate -- I only saved her web rug to return to cleaned tank, since I could see there was no worm in it.
No regrets, even though she wasn't due to moult, better safe than sorry I say.
FWIW, I didn't find the mealworm, apparently she had eaten it afterall, because I sifted through the removed substrate and would have returned it to the beetle/larvae bin if I'd found it still viable.

RickysReptiles

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I went home after work, dug up the worm and disposed of it. Carmen, my T, is now safe and sound!

This is her:

10960428_773963406018359_7607869735083621705_o.jpg

Sana

Arachnoprince
She's a beauty. I'm glad to hear that she's safe and preparing to redecorate her enclosure.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I like superworms for variety and because they last longer than crickets. I use forceps for all my cage maintenance. Many T's will take superworms post-molt when they're starving. I drop them next to the spider, and if they're not grabbed within 2 or 3 seconds use the forceps to take them right out. I don't need to crush their heads.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I like superworms for variety and because they last longer than crickets. I use forceps for all my cage maintenance. Many T's will take superworms post-molt when they're starving. I drop them next to the spider, and if they're not grabbed within 2 or 3 seconds use the forceps to take them right out. I don't need to crush their heads.
I just picked up some meal worms for a post molt treat and a little variety for my "kids". Do they require the same level of caution as super worms do?

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Superworms are great, I also find the spectacular feeders for slings when I cut them up, just crush the head and they're harmless.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I just picked up some meal worms for a post molt treat and a little variety for my "kids". Do they require the same level of caution as super worms do?
Yes. You don't either roaming a cage.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Or stand guard with your tweezers on the ready.;)

My preferred method. I can't see pre-killing them. That's the spider's job, not mine. As it is, they loaf around all day when I'm at work; I'm not going to cut up their food and spoon feed them too.