Molting Process??

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
My juvenile/sub adult G. rosea is molting, and I'm worried something is wrong. He's been lying on his back not moving for at least an hour now if not more with no signs of anything. He hasn't been eating, he laid down the mat, he's flipped himself, he's not in a death curl, but he's also not anything. Is that normal? Can it take them a while to get going once they flip? I've had slings molt with me before but I've always come in at the other end, just after or right as they flip back. I'm so worried D: D: D:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I don't think an hour is excessive. I'll bet it will start pulling out of its exoskeleton soon. At least by morning you should have a freshly moulted spider. Don't bother it, that is important. Not this early in the game, anyway.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Start worrying in about 2-3 hours, even then only worry a little..It can take a while...
If I think the t is in trouble in the rare event I see one molting I moisten a corner of the cage far away from the t...
I wouldn't reccomend it though unless you have a real good idea the t is struggling and you won't have to move or cause any heavy vibrations on the enclosure..sometime you can spook a t while molting and it will flip back over...usually the t will flip again and finish molting but I have seen ts that don't and it ends badly...
Your best bet is to ignore the fact that its molting and check on it later tomorrow..I'm sure it will be fine...

GG80

Arachnoknight
When my rosie last molted she flipped over at around 13.30 and nothing happened until around 23.00. Everything was fine. Don't disturb your T.

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
Phew, you guys are great. I'm letting him be; supposedly I'm sleeping, but I keep turning my phone on instead... >.> Nothing new to report yet, other than me having calmed down from what you guys said. I'll let you know how he's doing when I wake up (assuming I do eventually fall asleep) :)

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@14pokies, I wouldn't worry at all at that amount of time. My G. porteri laid on it's back for *at least* 10 hours before it started molting.

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
He's all good! Still on his back but out from under the molt and I saw some leg twitching. He'd kicked the molt out and it wasn't near him so I nabbed it and I'll be taking it to my LRS to get it sexed later tonight. Of course I missed the entirety of the actual molt itself, but hey, he's good so I'm good :)

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
@14pokies, I wouldn't worry at all at that amount of time. My G. porteri laid on it's back for *at least* 10 hours before it started molting.
HOLY Crap. That's a long time lol.

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 04:21 PM ----------

He's all good! Still on his back but out from under the molt and I saw some leg twitching. He'd kicked the molt out and it wasn't near him so I nabbed it and I'll be taking it to my LRS to get it sexed later tonight. Of course I missed the entirety of the actual molt itself, but hey, he's good so I'm good :)
Yea u fine :). I always watch my T's and if I see that they're in pre-molt I stimulate the process a bit by misting substrate I little more often. But only lightly do I do so.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I'm glad to hear that it went as expected. Hopefully you have a female, if that's what you desire.

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
Highly probably male, but the guy who's really good at sexing wasn't in. On the other hand, there was pretty clearly no flap, so I'm gonna wait until the next time I need feeders, make sure Steve is in, and confirm then.

Okay but um so new concern? Oliver seems to be listing, and one of his legs is kind of curled under. He's moved around and was cleaning himself and stuff so I'm pretty sure he's okay, but I'm not sure if he's okay, if you know what I mean.

Apologies for the crap pictures, I was trying not to disturb him and the lighting in my room is horrid. But you can still see how he's more upright on his right side, and how his second left leg is turned under.

20150206_182636.jpg

20150206_182835.jpg

tisha

Arachnopeon
Can you get a better closer pics of the front legs and palps? I just want to look at something... :)
Oh, and congrats on a successful molt! :)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Can you get a better closer pics of the front legs and palps? I just want to look at something... :)
Oh, and congrats on a successful molt! :)
Right I thought I saw tibial hooks...not sure it could just be the way the leg nearest the front is sitting...

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 09:55 PM ----------

Pretty sure its time to get him a girlfriend...looks like MM

cold blood

Staff member
Right I thought I saw tibial hooks...not sure it could just be the way the leg nearest the front is sitting...

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 09:55 PM ----------

Pretty sure its time to get him a girlfriend...looks like MM
Good observation. I had to look for a bit to notice what you saw.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Good observation. I had to look for a bit to notice what you saw.
Thanks bro, now watch us be completely wrong lol!

---------- Post added 02-06-2015 at 11:12 PM ----------

No I'm positive its MM look how long and the way the front legs are shaped...