Thinking about getting a giant centipede (Scolopendra Subspinipes) - How does this enclosure look?

TheBeardedGhost

Arachnopeon
Like the title says, I'm looking into getting a giant centipede. Particularly Scolopendra Subspinipes. I'll be at a local reptile show on the 14th so I guess I'm limited to whatever they have available (assuming it will work with the enclosure and it's within my budget) so it could vary but they've had several subspinipes at every show I've gone to the last six times so I don't see why they wouldn't now. I currently keep all sorts of inverts and small pets including tarantulas and scorpions. I've got some faster and more defensive tarantulas like P. murinus, P. regalis, P. irminia, etc. so I'm not too worried about keeping the centipede from murdering me in my sleep but I'm always up for advice as well.

Anyway, I put together an enclosure with an empty 10g tank and some other extra stuff I had lying around. It's got 4 tabs that lock the lid on tight and I attached a remote control LED light strip to the inside top of the lid. It doesn't generate any heat and it obviously won't be on all the time but it will be nice for viewing and stuff. It has variable brightness and color so I can adjust it to the situation with a remote. Does anybody have any advice or see anything glaringly wrong with my setup? I promise I take constructive criticism well. Sorry in advance for the graininess of the photos - it was dark.

Here's an overview of the whole setup.
1 Overview.jpg

Left View
2 Leftview.jpg

Right View
3 Rightview.jpg

Fairy Tale View
4 Fairy Tale View.jpg

Night View
5 Night View.jpg

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks ok, but the substrate might need to be higher. (About 4-5 " and sl ightly moist)
I can't tell the height by looking at your pictures.

Also make sure the lid is secure cause they can climb up the caulking in the corners and walk on the lid. If it can squeeze through any gap it will.

Goodluck and hope you find a nice sized scolependra subspinepis.
I've seen some impressive specimens at the reptile shows.

TheBeardedGhost

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the pointers. The lid is about as secure as I'm going to be able to get it. It's got plastic around the edges with a metal screen in the middle that's inaccessible to the centipede. The lid also locks down in four separate places. I made the mistake of measuring before tamping the substrate down a little bit so you're right in saying it looks a bit low. I've actually just added a bunch of sub so it's now over 4 inches and I've actually rearranged the whole thing while I was at it. I'll probably upload new pics in the morning.

Last edited: