This is my collection but what's missing

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guys
As the title says below is a list of my current collection as you will probably tell from it I'm not the world's biggest fan of arboreals my collection contains a big fat goose egg or zero of them, I'm not against keeping them as I've had them in the past I just prefer terrestrial ts. The problem is although I personally think I have a pretty sweet (ever growing) collection even i can see that it is full of holes but the thing is some people will say the hole's need filling with hobby staples like A genic or an obt neither will probably happen. Anyhow im wanting a few ideas from you guys so I can research possible new additions also feel free to think outside the norm as I love rarer sometimes expensive ts all input whether positive or negative is welcome

G pulchra
G iheringi
Gbb
B emilia
B smithi
B annitha x2
B shroederi
B verdezi
A serratum
Pamphobeteus sp machalla
Pamphobeteus sp mascara
N coloratovillosus
H villosella
E constritus
E weijenberghi
Thrixopelma lagunas
Thrixopelma sp cajamarca
E sp red
E parvula
Paraphysa sp north (I know this doesn't exist anymore)
Crypsidromus sp Panama
H triseriatus lowland
O diamantinensis
P cochleasvorax

As you can see the only real pattern is terrestrial the sizes vary from maxed out 2" sp north to a potential 8" sp mascara so I'm open to suggestions

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Some obvious holes. I'd beef up the big tropical NW terrestrials: Acanthoscurria, Lasiodora, Megaphobema, Phormictopus, Sericopelma, Theraphosa, & Xenesthis. I'd add more Pamphobeteus (antinous, platyomma, nigricolor, etc) and Nhandu (chromatus and tripepii).

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The only 'holes' are the ones you think are there. :)
Don't rule out A geniculata. Large, fast growth, easy on the eyes, and all the ones I've had have been immensely entertaining.
Any of the Nhandu, Theraphosa, Ephebopus would make nice additions.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some obvious holes. I'd beef up the big tropical NW terrestrials: Acanthoscurria, Lasiodora, Megaphobema, Phormictopus, Sericopelma, Theraphosa, & Xenesthis. I'd add more Pamphobeteus (antinous, platyomma, nigricolor, etc) and Nhandu (chromatus and tripepii).
These are some of the hole's I could see and some not so obvious thanks poec. Just 3 weeks ago I added my 1st phormictopus and now they seem to be available everywhere. This morning ive been checking out a Nhandu carapoensis

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
These are some of the hole's I could see and some not so obvious thanks poec. Just 3 weeks ago I added my 1st phormictopus and now they seem to be available everywhere. This morning ive been checking out a Nhandu carapoensis
There's a few Phormictopus in the hobby, all are worthwhile. N carapoensis is a good one, although it doesn't have the color of the others in the genus; it's a big, shaggy, robust spider. I like them. While LP's are overdone, there's other Lasiodora that are nice, like klugi, difficilus, and striatipes. Sericopelma have that big, leggy look that Pamphos and Phormics do. With your cool temps, you should look at Megaphobema. Never pass up a deal on any Xenesthis species! Theraphosa are a must if you like big spiders. There's some great Acanthoscurria too, like brocklehursti, geniculata, atrox, chacoana, and sternalis.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There's a few Phormictopus in the hobby, all are worthwhile. N carapoensis is a good one, although it doesn't have the color of the others in the genus; it's a big, shaggy, robust spider. I like them. While LP's are overdone, there's other Lasiodora that are nice, like klugi, difficilus, and striatipes. Sericopelma have that big, leggy look that Pamphos and Phormics do. With your cool temps, you should look at Megaphobema. Never pass up a deal on any Xenesthis species! Theraphosa are a must if you like big spiders. There's some great Acanthoscurria too, like brocklehursti, geniculata, atrox, chacoana, and sternalis.
A few of the rarer species you mentioned above turned up seemingly at the same time last year and I had to make a difficult choice between some of these and other rare ts such as the Brachypelma schroederi I own which almost never turn up here. The striatipes was also on my list and last November an adult female turned up at $100ish but a Thrixopelma sp cajamarca female was available for similar money and I just couldn't turn what could've been the first,last and only chance to own this t down

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'd listen to poec on this one, I can vouch for phormics as they are very acrobatic for a terrestrial. If you want some more exotic stuff then the Ami or pseudhapolus are some of the cooler small spiders. Of course if you feel ready for an ow, then a c.darlingi or its cousins are excellent choices, my adult girl is not really defensive but has enough spunk to make it interesting.

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Brachypelma auratum, Cyclosternum fasciatum(Davis pentaloris), Pelinobius muticus

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd listen to poec on this one, I can vouch for phormics as they are very acrobatic for a terrestrial. If you want some more exotic stuff then the Ami or pseudhapolus are some of the cooler small spiders. Of course if you feel ready for an ow, then a c.darlingi or its cousins are excellent choices, my adult girl is not really defensive but has enough spunk to make it interesting.
Yeah I'd be pretty stupid not to follow advice from somebody with the experience that poec as gained. I've already received my 1st order of the year which contained a Phormictopus cochleasvorax my 1st probably not my last though. As for the ow's I recently added 2 starting with an adult female heterothele villosella she was a rescue and the next was part of my 1st order this year a tiny Eucratoscelus constritus sling around the 1/2" mark so ill probably be dipping into the old world market a little more

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yeah I'd be pretty stupid not to follow advice from somebody with the experience that poec as gained.
It's a matter of taste, not experience. There's certain groups of tarantulas I particularly like, one of them is the big NW tropical terrestrials. You can have a large collection of great tarantulas and not have a single species that I do.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He's right, in this case it's about personal taste, not experience. I'm sure poec could care less if someone disliked pokies but loved Brachys.

David VB

Arachnosquire
You said P. murinus is not gonna happen. Why not? It's such a beautiful tarantula and terrestrial ;) And hey, everybody should at least have (had) one G. rosea too :p

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
He's right, in this case it's about personal taste, not experience. I'm sure poec could care less if someone disliked pokies but loved Brachys.

That person would be Stan Schultz. He had a big collection of NW's back in the day, and had very few of the species I have.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man, you are missing out!!!!

I see you already have the H. tri.

Hapolopus sp. >Pumpkin Patch "large"

Adult colors or ORANGE/BLACK as slings, dwarf species. Attitude and husbandry of a GBB. You cannot go wrong with either. Not the greatest pic, and my female recently lost her fangs in a molt for unknown reasons. Full size, DLS about the size of an American Silver Dollar. That is my sp Large below. They are literally that bright orange from day 1 as a TINY, TINY sling. In my care, have never faded in color over time like some species. She's been a joy to watch grow and own.

F1 crop.jpg

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

Adult colors or ORANGE/BLACK as slings, dwarf species. Attitude and husbandry of a GBB. You cannot go wrong with either. Not the greatest pic, and my female recently lost her fangs in a molt for unknown reasons. Full size, DLS about the size of an American Silver Dollar. That is my sp Large below. They are literally that bright orange from day 1 as a TINY, TINY sling. In my care, have never faded in color over time like some species. She's been a joy to watch grow and own.
I got my first ones this summer. I don't know why I waited so long. They're beautiful and hardy.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You said P. murinus is not gonna happen. Why not? It's such a beautiful tarantula and terrestrial ;) And hey, everybody should at least have (had) one G. rosea too :p
Both of these are in the rescue but never buy category. I just don't find either of them appealing I can't explain the obt but I find that G rosea a little bland compared to other Grammostola

---------- Post added 02-07-2015 at 11:52 PM ----------

View attachment 134092
It's funny you should mention the pumpkin patch thats what I originally went to purchase only to walk out with the H triseriatus instead

awiec

Arachnoprince
I got my first ones this summer. I don't know why I waited so long. They're beautiful and hardy.
They're also feisty, mine rivals some of the wolf spiders I've had. It knows I'm there and takes off in flash if there is disturbance, it can do several laps in a 6 inch container by the time I blink and has no issue charging me or jumping onto me.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Finally Poec!! I "knew" you'd get some sooner or later. I bought my now adult, the first time they hit the market here. They were really pricey back then, I got a good deal from Kelly. I was amazed they had adult colors and so vibrant. When Kelly told me they were like a GBB, I was sold. Extremely hard, and their tackling attacks on crickets makes it worth it. Plus, I like their small size.

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
I would echo the call for Pelinobius Muticus, or perhaps Hysterocrates Gigas (not as colorful as a pumpkin patch but certainly a lot of interesting). How about Idiothele Mira? Unique trapdoor like burrowing, beautiful patterns. I have only had mine for a couple of months, but have throughly enjoyed their unique behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXHC3CxjtPQ

I.Mira.jpg