OBT water dish/humidity

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
I recently got an OBT, probably 1.25", and he's webbed up his container and seems quite happy. The thing is that he doesn't have a water bowl, but most OBT enclosures I've seen don't, probably because they'd be webbed up in seconds. Should I be misting the web? He's burrowed around the side of the deli cup so I can always see him (bless his heart) and the webbing is mostly in the middle over the substrate and over the top in general (but not on the lid itself, he is too nice to me). I could mist over the middle but I'm not sure it would get to him, or over the sides but it might sort of rain down on him? He has plenty of space to move away if I only do part of the enclosure, but I don't want to over humidify him. Suggestions?

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
I recently got an OBT, probably 1.25", and he's webbed up his container and seems quite happy. The thing is that he doesn't have a water bowl, but most OBT enclosures I've seen don't, probably because they'd be webbed up in seconds. Should I be misting the web? He's burrowed around the side of the deli cup so I can always see him (bless his heart) and the webbing is mostly in the middle over the substrate and over the top in general (but not on the lid itself, he is too nice to me). I could mist over the middle but I'm not sure it would get to him, or over the sides but it might sort of rain down on him? He has plenty of space to move away if I only do part of the enclosure, but I don't want to over humidify him. Suggestions?
Yeah, this species does not need much in the way of humidity as you mention. I would provide a small water dish - a 20oz pop bottle cap would work - and keep water in it, skipping the misting. Based on your description of his webbing it sounds like misting could be stressful. Is there room for that to be possible?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I would just sprinkle a few drops of water onto his web 1 or 2 times a week...I use a syringe type medicine dropper for my ts...
If it wasn't such a fast agro species I would say put in water dish but its just going to web it up and give you a hard time every time you need to pull it out to refill it...

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
I would just sprinkle a few drops of water onto his web 1 or 2 times a week...I use a syringe type medicine dropper for my ts...
If it wasn't such a fast agro species I would say put in water dish but its just going to web it up and give you a hard time every time you need to pull it out to refill it...
I agree that this would work just fine and would be potentially less stressful. Re: the hard time every time you need to open...this is true. You can cut down on the number of times you have to "invade" your OBTs space and avoid mutual stress by inserting an eyedropper or syringe in an existing ventilation hole.

I have a water dish for my OBT and I am able to refill it because I can insert an eye dropper in a vent hole directly over top. I try to go in there as infrequently as possible and we get along just fine. Thus far it has not webbed it over but they DO web prolifically and your mileage may vary. But as far as water levels it needs, a little dribble once every several days will get it done.

I don't mist this species as it rapidly increases the humidity and then evaporates quickly and this species doesn't need the humidity or to be sprayed in the face.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
What you don't taunt your obt? What a wuess! Lol! I agree the key to keeping this species without incident is by limiting interaction!

cold blood

Staff member
I do the same as tbrandt and 14. I use a dish and keep it filled, but yup, it gets promptly webbed or dumped much of the time. I fill the dish with a syringe and dribble a little on the webbing weekly unless they are being good pterrors and not messing with the water dish...if the dish remains intact, I don't bother with dribbling water on the webbing.

I only retrieve the dish and fill it if the t's are in a position to allow me to do so easily.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You want to calm your male obt's just pair them .I did just a bit ago and he was mad when I was digging him out ,put in with my girl,which she wouldn't come out her hole, but I could see all that was going on poor guy had to go in after her,needless to say he had a diff attitude after pairing got in cup with out a treat pose ,ain't got squat to do with op's question humidity not big deal with these monsters just give them a water cap and a juicy roach they be fine at that size

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
I can't do a water dish without dismantling his webbing and changing the terrain, but I can definitely do a dropper a few times a week. He gets crickets now, so they should give him lots of moisture too. Currently he only has vents in the side but I can probably add one in the lid without disrupting him too much, that or do the drops while he's busy with the cricket. I'm going to be rehousing him in the next few weeks so I can give him a water dish then.

Thanks for the help!

---------- Post added 02-08-2015 at 08:16 PM ----------

Oh man great pic xD

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I can't do a water dish without dismantling his webbing and changing the terrain
Then the cage is too small, and you don't want that with OBT's. Better the cage is too big than too small, unless of course you like that jack-in-the-box thing.

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
Then the cage is too small, and you don't want that with OBT's. Better the cage is too big than too small, unless of course you like that jack-in-the-box thing.
Oh god no jack-in-the-boxes (jacks-in-the-box? jacks-in-the-boxes?). It's much more that he's webbed up every available horizontal surface. I can actually see him 100% of the time because his burrow is 360 around the edge of the container. The middle is a mountainous terrain of substrate covered in webbing. I don't have a picture of it right now, but I can get one if it matters. tbh, I'm comfortable feeding him and watering him and such, but the thought of rehousing is very scary, especially because I'll almost certainly lose my complete visibility when he settles in.

Spiders are confusing!!

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
I normally don't put water dishes first until they finish finalizing their web burrows. Then i place the water dish where there is no web in sight

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
put some water on your finger and water him that way, they appreciate a personal touch

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
A little over 50% of human blood is straight up water, and the rest is pretty nutritious.
Human finger feeding could replace crickets in an emergency -- bad snow storm, can't get to LPS -- good to know.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Eh, I'm vegan, I don't think I have the right kind of nutrition.
I admire that -- I'm just vegetarian since I failed at veganism.
At any rate, I think you get enough amino acids to build some amazing human protein.
So, stick your finger in the T cage and we'll call it research!
I have faith in you!

annanlove19

Arachnosquire
I admire that -- I'm just vegetarian since I failed at veganism.
At any rate, I think you get enough amino acids to build some amazing human protein.
So, stick your finger in the T cage and we'll call it research!
I have faith in you!
Ooh, well if it's in the name of research!!