Humidifier

Psingletongolf

Arachnopeon
Can I use a humidifier in a room with T's. Its very cold and dry where I live and they dryness is cause my girlfriend and I difficulty sleeping. We share our bedroom with our T's.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, that's no problem. Just don't add anything to the water.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I use a humidifier in my T room.They are fine.Ultrasonic one from Wal Mart works the best of the 3 types you can buy.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I run one in the bedroom for my tarantulas. I just make sure that there isn't anything but water added to it and that it isn't directly on any of them.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Guess I'm cheap -- I just keep an open container of water in the room -- for the parrots but it benefits the Ts too. I change it out weekly and am amazed at how low the water level is when I change it out. I've been known to hang something damp in there to dry also just for the moisture added.
In the summer, I can skip open water container in their room -- air is plenty humid in NC with a/c vent closed in their room.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
Guess I'm cheap -- I just keep an open container of water in the room -- for the parrots but it benefits the Ts too. I change it out weekly and am amazed at how low the water level is when I change it out. I've been known to hang something damp in there to dry also just for the moisture added.
In the summer, I can skip open water container in their room -- air is plenty humid in NC with a/c vent closed in their room.
Thats not cheap. Thats 'frugal'. Both good ways to boost humidity without buying another machine. Can hang-dry some laundry indoors too, and let the machine-dryer rest a bit.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I have a humidifier and a 5 gallon bucket of water in the spider room, it makes it so I only have to refill water dishes 3 times a week rather than everyday. Just refill the bucket when empty and dump out all the dirty water out of the humidifier before refilling it. I really helps the spiders out, I'm have a mini molting party as 5 have molted in the past few weeks, which is a little unusual in the winter.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
+1 to all the above posts...I also keep a fan going in my room to circulate the air..
If your room is warm enough its a good idea..specially if you keep any avics...

ParryOtter

Arachnopeon
I like the bucket idea. If you're using a humidifier don't forget to clean it frequently! Those things can get nasty.

For the little guys I put them in a giant storage bin, strategically group them around a few mason jars with an extra-small heat mat stuck around them (and a few fish tank thermometers) and fill the jars with water. I keep the lid on but a little askew all day, then remove the lid at night. It does a great job keeping the temp steady and keeps the humidity at a good level.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I also keep a fan going in my room to circulate the air.
Don't know if it counts, but I keep the central a/c-heat system fan "on" instead of "auto" as I feel like I need some air circulating too.
As long as you aren't use chemicals/sprays in the house, this may work for others too.
If you're using a lot of perfumed air sprays, heavy detergents, cleaning gear, etc.., this may be bad idea to circulate it to the T room.
(Actually -- just stop using that chemical junk -- not good for people either!)

cold blood

Staff member
Don't know if it counts, but I keep the central a/c-heat system fan "on" instead of "auto" as I feel like I need some air circulating too.
As long as you aren't use chemicals/sprays in the house, this may work for others too.
If you're using a lot of perfumed air sprays, heavy detergents, cleaning gear, etc.., this may be bad idea to circulate it to the T room.
(Actually -- just stop using that chemical junk -- not good for people either!)
I recall hearing about the contents of perfume and cologone....it may smell nice, but its essentially toxic.

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
I also do not use one and my T's have been fine for years now. The only thing I have to really worry about is winter time but luckily, where I live, is pretty good. :)

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I also do not use one and my T's have been fine for years now. The only thing I have to really worry about is winter time but luckily, where I live, is pretty good. :)
I keep my room temps at 78-80 during the day, 70-74 at night. Its the best i can do, and has worked for years. I just make sure I create an appropriate micro climate per enclosure and all will be fine.

awiec

Arachnoprince
The winters by me are very dry, up until recently I haven't been using a humidifier but my new place has a furnace that really dries out the air so I added a humidifier and bucket to mitigate that. They certainly aren't nessisary in your region and once winter is gone I will probably stop using the humidifier.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
The winters by me are very dry, up until recently I haven't been using a humidifier but my new place has a furnace that really dries out the air so I added a humidifier and bucket to mitigate that. They certainly aren't nessisary in your region and once winter is gone I will probably stop using the humidifier.
True, everyone's got different circumstances

awiec

Arachnoprince
True, everyone's got different circumstances
This is a very important thing to keep in mind when people go looking for care sheets. I care for some of my spiders a little different than lets say, someone in Florida, as the climates makes a difference even in a house that is temperature controlled.