N. chromatus vs. A. geniculata?

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
I have both of these sp. but what are the physical differences between the two? Their colors are almost the same, I just can't put my finger on what it is..

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
+1, Also, Chromatus have noticeably redder abdomens.

And a beige carapace, whereas geniculata's are black. Genics are robust and burly to around 8" or so; chromatus are built more slender and get around 7".

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You have both species in your collection, and look at them every day yet you still can't tell what the differences are in their physical characteristics? :? They look nothing alike.

KcFerry

Arachnosquire
I have several of both the N. chromatus and A. genic and they are very different!
Do you have a pic of each for comparison?

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I have both of these sp. but what are the physical differences between the two? Their colors are almost the same, I just can't put my finger on what it is..
Did you buy them with the scientific names, or hobby names like "White knee" , "black and white birdeater" ? Maybe they are the same spider ? Unless they are spiderling, they should be very easy to tell apart.

Later, Tom

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
View attachment 134282 View attachment 134283

This should clear up some of the "subtle" difference's. Lol!
The first one is N.chromatus and the second is A.geniculata..
Don't embed pictures that don't belong to you; link to the original source. Otherwise, it's a good comparison. And like Philth said, unless they're spiderlings, there really shouldn't be any confusing the two species.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Don't embed pictures that don't belong to you; link to the original source. Otherwise, it's a good comparison. And like Philth said, unless they're spiderlings, there really shouldn't be any confusing the two species.
OK but why is that? Its clear they're Google images and I'm not trying to pass them off as my own....is that an AB policy that I missed or something?
Thanks for the info..
Should I remove them and just post the link? I don't want to get dinged by a mod...

Last edited:

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OK but why is that? Its clear they're Google images and I'm not trying to pass them off as my own....is that an AB policy that I missed or something?
Thanks for the info..
Should I remove them and just post the link? I don't want to get dinged by a mod...
It's AB policy. If you don't remove them, one of the mods will.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
It's AB policy. If you don't remove them, one of the mods will.
Ok, thanks for the heads up...I appreciate it!

---------- Post added 02-11-2015 at 09:10 PM ----------

So confused. I need an adult.
Throws threat but doesn't bite...genic..
Bites then throws threat nhandu...

Since they look so "similar" I don't even bother to trouble myself with a visual identification, I just stick my finger in there hide and wiggle it..if I get slapped its a genic if there is a t attached when I pull my finger out I know I found the nhandu! Lol!

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
I really can't believe I didn't notice the difference.. Like seriously! Thank you all. Lmao I looked at those pics I really never noticed the carapace! I'll be okay!

---------- Post added 02-11-2015 at 11:01 PM ----------

Did you buy them with the scientific names, or hobby names like "White knee" , "black and white birdeater" ? Maybe they are the same spider ? Unless they are spiderling, they should be very easy to tell apart.

Later, Tom
No worries they are what they are

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
If the difference is the beige carapace, then what is this spider ? ;P

Later, Tom

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
No, not necessarily. Females will sometimes have darkened carapace.

Instead, look at the banding pattern.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
No, it is N. chromatus. I was just saying that a dark carapace doesn't automatically mean it's not N. chromatus or that it's a penultimate male.