A. metallica, or something else??

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Emily was purchased as an avic. metallica, but as usual, I have a spider that doesnt look like others say she should, nor does she look like any picture I have seen of the metallica. Just another odd spider color for my collection, or is this something unexpected??

Attachments

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well it looks a heck of a lot like the A.Avic's i have...but then again i am confused as heck weither mine are A. Brushani or A. Avic...the two look almost identical i am hopin for brushani cause that means they gonna get BIG!

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks like an Avic. avicularia to me. My Avic. metallica does not have any red on her abdomen, and is a WHOLE lot fuzzier. She has these white-tipped "fiber optic" hairs all over, especially on her legs, which is what gives this species their name. My Avic. avicularia, on the other hand, looks EXACTLY like your Emily, except she isn't quite that large yet.

By the way, aren't you worried about her jumping and running off outside? My Avics are both prone to doing that, and I'm not sure I could catch them if they took off outside! My Avic. avic is also an avid "Projectile Pooper"! I wish mine were as calm as Emily appears to be!

pitbulllady

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely NOT A. metallica . Looks a lot like A. avicularia .

Later,

Jake

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
avic or not

Well..I have an Avic avic BUT you can't always tell by looks. She definatley looks liek mine though.

I'd go with female Avicularia avicularia

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What would YOU like to call it?

I don't mean to disparage anyone's justifications of their expenditures, but the taxonomic lit on this genus is trash. If you would like yours to be called A. metallica, then say it is so.
PM me if you need to hear more (and send a molt!).

-Garrick

eight

Jmmarich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Am I the only one who doesn't hold their T's? I just like watching em, screw letting em get on me.

--Josh

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It doesn't look anything like any avic avic I've seen... Mine is all black. Are there many color morphs?

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
A.avic id say, an A.Braunshaunseni will have lots of long red hairs on leg 4 and a fair few on leg 3 at that size.

Chris V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Jmmarich said:
Am I the only one who doesn't hold their T's? I just like watching em, screw letting em get on me.

--Josh
Avics are the only ones I'll handle. I bought my first Avic two weeks ago and its just so fuzzy its hard to believe it would bite. (false sense of security)
Its fun to hold but man its fast.....

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
ChrisNCT said:
Well..I have an Avic avic BUT you can't always tell by looks
Like Garrick said the papers on most of the avic's are crap (even some of the old ones) a lot of the newer avic complex seem to be named on mostly there colour differentia or other points like adult size and it's often possible to see half way houses between them in both C/B and W/C often these intergrade/intermediate one's also get pet trade names or some bright spark goes the full nine yards and give them full species status.

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Em is indeed a jumper, but she is obsessed with going hand to hand.. Tarantula gymnastics I guess. As long as I dont move unexpectedly, she has no problem with leaping around between my hands, with the occasional foray up my arm and into my hair.
As to what I want her to be.. it doesnt really matter to me, with the exception of the fact that she WASNT cheap, and I got her just one molt ago from a dealer that I assumed knew what they were selling. I love her for her, not for her species of course, so no matter what she is, thats not going to change.
As to holding her.. she is my sons little buddy. He holds her alot, she loves to be on his head, and will ride around the house with him, or they will sit and watch cartoons. Child abuse?? NAH ! He knows the risks to holding them, as do I, but hes willing to take the risks. ( He wants to swim with sharks for his birthday, and hes only going to be 9 ) The last time we went to Regal to spider shop, he stood up front with an employee at the door, holding a young rosea they had up there, and showing it to the visiting children, explaining to them that spiders arent all mean and scarey, but " they will bite the poop out of you if you scare them or hurt them, but dont tell my mom I said that".
I know that everyone has different opinions on whether to hold or just to observe, but I choose to interact with those that I can. I have them to enjoy them, and I choose to enjoy them to the fullest.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
It doesn't look anything like any avic avic I've seen... Mine is all black. Are there many color morphs?
The Whole genus is a bloody colour morph....................

Cheers
Brendan

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
You may just have a mature male, when A. avics mature to male they pretty much lose all there other colors. Greg

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Really? I posted some underside pics recently and everyone was convinced it was a female. I didn't know you could determine sex with cloration with this sepcies. {D If it's a mature male, Im going to want to mate him and get the most millage out of him that I can.

I'll have to post more pics with top and underside pics and see what people say. :?

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry Ker not trying to hijack your thread :) ,
ShaunHolder, I just took a quick PIC of a mature female and a mature male side-by-side for you as you can see the male has lost all its red and the female still has the red. Greg

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
A.metallica A.Braunshaunseni A.geroldi A.nigroteatiana A.bicegoi A.velutina and a few others are all most likely part of a complex of races of which the best know member is A.avicularia, A.urticans A.ulrichea are most likely forms of A.huriana which for all anyone knows could its self be a race or subspecies of A.avicularia, the wild card iv found seems to be A.purpurea which seem to dislike males of A.avicularia and all same with A.versicolor.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They shoot poop when you attempt to handle them, they seldom come out of their webs, and their eating habits can at best be said to be 'random'. Add to that a rumoured giant that looks exactlylike the most commond kind, dozens of other descriptions of kinds that all float togehter..and you have: Avicness.