Votes: 13 68.4%
  • psalmopoeus cambridgei

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cold blood

Staff member
Temperament is day and night between the two genus'
They are both arboreal...other than that quite different. Psalms lack urticating hairs, which is a reason they tend to be much more defensive....Avics are quick, but Psalmos are straight up fast...one of the fastest genus', in fact. Psalms also grow considerably faster, being one of the faster growing genus' around. Their behavior is actually closer to a poec than any other genus IMO. They are also more forgiving in terms of care. It will also hurt a lot more to get tagged by a Psalmo as they probably have the most potent venom of all the NW t's.

Avics are a good introduction to arboreals once you have terrestrial care down pat....Psalmos are an excellent introduction to the faster, more potent OW arboreal species.

Both great groups of spiders, but in different ways.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Psalmopoeus but they can be a handful. I have never had an interest in Avics. I do believe I stand alone in that.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Psalmos are bullet proof,fast and defensive...irminia and cambridgei are the most colorful..

Avics can be touchy for beginners, fast in short bursts and generally non defensive...

Get both after you raise a couple of terrestrials...

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Psalmopoeus but they can be a handful. I have never had an interest in Avics. I do believe I stand alone in that.
Actually your position on Avics was my same position. Until today. I ordered two A. braunshauseni to give the Avic genus another try. To keep it on the thread however, these particular species is know to be particularly defensive compared to other Avics. Still cannot be compared to Psalmos as Coldblood explained in more detail.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Not even the word "fast" describes the speed of psalmos, they are very defensive, especially P. Irminia, P. cam tend to be the calmest of the genus, also grows faster and bigger than P. Irminia.. they are also not as secretive.. P. Irminia on the other hand are very secretive and skittish, but make up for it in their great looks (especially adult females). They are hardy species and great stepping stones.. NOT FOR BEGINNERS (seriously, don't get them unless you have experience with some NW terrestrials and NW tropical terrestrials). Always be cautious and wary around psalmos. I keep mine on moist sub (let the top dry out a bit before moistening it again), cross-ventilation (not as much as avics though), some cork-bark and fake plants to anchor their webs too ( they make stunning dirt webs), and a water bowl. I don't mist (only for my slings for drinking). I also have ventilation on just the sides to help form a micro-climate..

Avics likes dry sub, and lots of cross-ventilation. Always provide a water bowl (humidity) and occasional misting (very light misting, don't overdo it) against webbing for drinking purposes. Fake plants and cork bark. They also make nice webs.. though I never kept avics, so hopefully others can chime in with better advice..

When it comes to care, psalmos are definitely easier to take care of than avics, but avics are easier regarding temperament and speed.

Both avics and psalmos are beautifull.

Last edited:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The title of this thread could actually be interpreted in more than one way.

The two are so different. Pokies vs Psalmos would make more sense, given that those two actually look and behave very similar.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Not even the word "fast" describes the speed of psalmos, they are very defensive, especially P. Irminia, P. cam tend to be the calmest of the genus, also grows faster and bigger than P. Irminia.. they are also not as secretive.. P. Irminia on the other hand are very secretive and skittish, but make up for it in their great looks (especially adult females). They are hardy species and great stepping stones.. NOT FOR BEGINNERS. Always be cautious and wary around psalmos. I keep mine on moist sub (let the top dry out a bit before moistening it again), cross-ventilation (not as much as avics though), some cork-bark and fake plants to anchor their webs too ( they make stunning dirt webs), and a water bowl. I don't mist (only for my slings for drinking), I give them a water bowl. I also have ventilation on just the sides to help form a micro-climate..

Avics likes dry sub, and lots of cross-ventilation. Always provide a water bowl (humidity) and occasional misting (very light misting, don't overdo it) against webbing for drinking purposes. Fake plants and cork bark. They also make nice webs.. though I never kept avics, so hopefully others can chime in with better advice..

When it comes to care, psalmos are definitely easier to take care of than avics, but avics are easier regarding temperament and speed.

Both avics and psalmos are beautifull.
I posted on a previous thread with regards to avics, the only avic the needs "dryer" and higher than normal ventilation is A. Versicolor. The others do very well with slightly damp sub, no misting, non-excessive cross ventilation, and a water dish. I'm speaking from experience, and in depth discussion with keepers of hundreds of Avics

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I posted on a previous thread with regards to avics, the only avic the needs "dryer" and higher than normal ventilation is A. Versicolor. The others do very well with slightly damp sub, no misting, non-excessive cross ventilation, and a water dish. I'm speaking from experience, and in depth discussion with keepers of hundreds of Avics
Well, I wouldn't know really, never kept them, my advice on avics is soley based on what I have learned here.. hehe

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have seen a few people compare pokies to psalmos...umm there is no comparison IMO...poecs are more methodical somewhat cognitive.. psalmos are spastic ...instinct tells them to (A) run (B) fight....(C) run and gun...
Poecs are more confident and almost always try to avoid my fingers while making a mad dash for freedom! P.Irminia seem to perceive humans as more of a threat than an opportunity to escape...

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Well, I wouldn't know really, never kept them, my advice on avics is soley based on what I have learned here.. hehe
Faiir enough Lolla :). But you are definetly right. Psalmos are not to be reckoned with! Not for newbies.. I have never had any violent experiences with my Irminia, but as to speed, I have witnessed. I wouldnt know how to describe it other than sheer FEAR.. And adrenaline lol

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Faiir enough Lolla :). But you are definetly right. Psalmos are not to be reckoned with! Not for newbies.. I have never had any violent experiences with my Irminia, but as to speed, I have witnessed. I wouldnt know how to describe it other than sheer FEAR.. And adrenaline lol
I have two juvenile P. Irminias of which one is a female, the other I don't know. One of them is very mellow but have seen some threat poses, the female however.... lets not go there lol! oh and have an adult psalmo Hybrid (I think), she would literally run to any disturbance, threat pose whenever I walk by her enclosure, and try to bite the water bowl when I refill it.. but never bolts (kinda weird lol) .

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I have two juvenile P. Irminias of which one is a female, the other I don't know. One of them is very mellow but have seen some threat poses, the female however.... lets not go there lol! oh and have an adult psalmo Hybrid (I think), she would literally run to any disturbance, threat pose whenever I walk by her enclosure, and try to bite the water bowl when I refill it.. but never bolts (kinda weird lol) .
I did see your thread, great pics! :) I have always noticed that if the tarantula has a secure hide, i've never had a direct issue with aggressive defense.

---------- Post added 02-12-2015 at 09:03 PM ----------

I have seen a few people compare pokies to psalmos...umm there is no comparison IMO...poecs are more methodical somewhat cognitive.. psalmos are spastic ...instinct tells them to (A) run (B) fight....(C) run and gun...
Poecs are more confident and almost always try to avoid my fingers while making a mad dash for freedom! P.Irminia seem to perceive humans as more of a threat than an opportunity to escape...
Pokies are disturbingly calculated

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Faiir enough Lolla :). I have never had any violent experiences with my Irminia, but as to speed, I have witnessed. I wouldnt know how to describe it other than sheer FEAR.. And adrenaline lol
You don't know what fear is my friend! I had one a few years back that would bare its fangs and strike while it was running...
Opening the lid was all it took to "provoke" her! It was horrifying and comical at the same to watch a spider tripping over itself because its trying to kill everything in its path while its running for freedom!

And yes pokies are thinkers!

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
You don't know what fear is my friend! I had one a few years back that would bare its fangs and strike while it was running...
Opening the lid was all it took to "provoke" her! It was horrifying and comical at the same to watch a spider tripping over itself because its trying to kill everything in its path while its running for freedom!

I guess I'm yet to experience this lol, my one juvenile would rather slap at whatever provokes it while the other one will down right bite. My one juvie would keep slapping a cricket for almost like 15 minutes until it figures out "hey, food!"

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron

Haha this is comical. I am picturing this scenario in my head. I have had a single, super freaky experience with my MF Pokie regalis, she's about 10 years old and has jumped a length of 8+ inches at my brush before!!

Sana

Arachnoprince
Haha this is comical. I am picturing this scenario in my head. I have had a single, super freaky experience with my MF Pokie regalis, she's about 10 years old and has jumped a length of 8+ inches at my brush before!!
Yikes! This said my the new Poec keeper...

cold blood

Staff member
In my experience I have yet to find a genus more similar to a poec than a Psalm....are they the same, no, but a lot closer than anything else I can think of....mine behave nearly the same....I will agree the psalms move a bit more spastically, though. But the way they live and react are often pretty close.

I think its a fair comparison anyway.:5:

Last edited: