A. ezendami not burrowing

Sana

Arachnoprince
I want to do a quick check on some questions regarding a couple A. ezendami slings that I got recently. They are both 1/2" and have eaten in my care in the few weeks that I've had them. I'm convinced that when I researched this species I read that they were serious burrowers. My concern about these two is that neither is really burrowing. Both have webbing on the ground and don't seem especially stressed. They don't run around looking for a place to hide when the container is opened. I am keeping both in plastic food storage containers, can't remember the brand, but the things are made by Rubbermaid, Ziploc, and a number of other companies. They are on top soil as a substrate, bone dry and very deep. Each has a water bowl (two actually as both decided that the original needed to be incorporated in their webbing and I didn't want to disturb their retreat building unnecessarily). Both containers have quite a bit of cross ventilation as I recall my research on these to say that they were a more arid species. All the slings that I have are kept 72-78 F and the RH in the room is 40-50% outside the containers. I haven't attempted to check the exact humidity inside each enclosure, though I expect that it's probably about the same RH inside the arid enclosures as outside. I gave each one a starter burrow under a small piece of bark and a broad leafed fake plant piece for decorative purpose or incorporation into their retreat. I have 3 C. marshalli slings also 1/2" that I got at the same time. The marshalli setups are exactly the same, and all three have created large and complex burrows already. I expected to see similar results with the ezendami slings, but they couldn't be more different. I will try to get pictures of the enclosures after work tonight and post them. I wanted to double check my husbandry and the information that I have to make sure that I'm doing the best I can for these little guys.

cold blood

Staff member
A few months ago I acquired both marshalli and ezendami slings. Right off the bat I noticed the marshalli to be not only calmer, but much quicker to burrow and web the enclosure (and better, more agressive eaters). It took the ezendami significantly longer to get comfortable. Mine were spazzes, often running wildly when disturbed before they finally webbed and burrowed. Mine are in small deli cups, like you might put catsup in, and they will be there till 1"...which one just hit. The smaller area makes it easier to quickly web and get comfy.

As they grow the ezendami slings will burrow for life. I have another one that's somewhere over 3"(possibly as big as 4"), I have no idea exactly because it is always in its burrow, I just see its feet when it wants to feed. They build very interesting turrets at the top of their burrows. Just be patient, they will eventually burrow. Just be glad your aren't little spazzes.

At that size I do regularly moisten bits of the sub, I won't let them go bone dry until they get over an inch....same for the marshalli.

Sana

Arachnoprince
A few months ago I acquired both marshalli and ezendami slings. Right off the bat I noticed the marshalli to be not only calmer, but much quicker to burrow and web the enclosure (and better, more agressive eaters). It took the ezendami significantly longer to get comfortable. Mine were spazzes, often running wildly when disturbed before they finally webbed and burrowed. Mine are in small deli cups, like you might put catsup in, and they will be there till 1"...which one just hit. The smaller area makes it easier to quickly web and get comfy.

As they grow the ezendami slings will burrow for life. I have another one that's somewhere over 3"(possibly as big as 4"), I have no idea exactly because it is always in its burrow, I just see its feet when it wants to feed. They build very interesting turrets at the top of their burrows. Just be patient, they will eventually burrow. Just be glad your aren't little spazzes.

At that size I do regularly moisten bits of the sub, I won't let them go bone dry until they get over an inch....same for the marshalli.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I may add a little moisture to the sub and see if they seem to prefer it. I give a strand of wet moss to each of my slings one or twice a week, simply because it's so dry here and I don't usually catch them drinking. I forgot to mention that part. I was under the impression that too much moisture could be detrimental to these guys.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Same thing that CB said basically. They take a bit to burrow but they will burrow. It actually takes quite a long time for them to make the elaborate burrows other species make. It took mine almost a month or two to make it's home the way it wanted it. I wish mine was calm.... it doesNT even know how to tarantula yet. At that size, even the driest of the dry need humidity. Until they're about an inch or so, all slings should have humidity. Granted I keep my p cam and n chromatus wetter than my ezendami and irminias, I still add moisture to part of the sub once or twice a week. If they need to swim to the other side of their enclosures, or you have mold that begins to talk, yes that's detrimental. But too little is also detrimental. That's what I was told at least.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Same thing that CB said basically. They take a bit to burrow but they will burrow. It actually takes quite a long time for them to make the elaborate burrows other species make. It took mine almost a month or two to make it's home the way it wanted it. I wish mine was calm.... it doesNT even know how to tarantula yet. At that size, even the driest of the dry need humidity. Until they're about an inch or so, all slings should have humidity. Granted I keep my p cam and n chromatus wetter than my ezendami and irminias, I still add moisture to part of the sub once or twice a week. If they need to swim to the other side of their enclosures, or you have mold that begins to talk, yes that's detrimental. But too little is also detrimental. That's what I was told at least.
Thanks! I'll definitely look out for talking mold.:laugh:

I will wet a small spot of the sub in the enclosures tonight. I just now walked in the door from putting the last of the parts on my best friend and I's 4x4's so we could go play tomorrow before the weather turns again. Made me late to take care of my spiders. *sigh*

---------- Post added 02-13-2015 at 10:09 PM ----------

I'll stop worrying so much now, knowing these guys just take longer to settle in.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The key word is "recently". All Ts need time to adapt to their new prison. Also, as long as they are eating/molting, it really doesn't matter if they burrow or not as long as they feel secure. Observe their body posture for that one. Too many people get so wrapped up when their T isn't doing exactly what they are "supposed" to do.

I gave some of my Ts nice little hides. They never use them. I really don't care, they eat and grow and are fine.

Squidies

Arachnopeon
I've said it before and I'll say it again since you seem like you know what you're doing and don't really need any advice, just reassurance. Now repeat after me:

"The spider knows how to be a spider better than I do."