Anyone keep exotic/uncommon rats/colubrids?

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've taken more and more of an interest in colubrids off the beaten path, sort of speak. I'm currently hoping to find some Zamenis longissimus this year.

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep H.gigas , A.prasina, and P.baroni.

vq35hr

Arachnopeon
I would love to own a Oreocryptophis porphyracea (Bamboo rat snake) one day. Beautiful species, but expensive!

Hanska

Arachnobaron
I would love to own a Oreocryptophis porphyracea (Bamboo rat snake) one day. Beautiful species, but expensive!
I have an Oreocryptophis porphyracea coxi. Pretty lil fellow with an attitude.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I keep North American Water Snakes, which are actually quite rare in captivity. Most people don't want anything to do with them. I've had an Indo-Chinese Rat Snake(Ptyas korros), a very nice snake, but he sadly passed away a few years ago and they are now extremely difficult to find in the US. I also keep Coachwhips, another snake that a lot of people dislike and tend to avoid keeping, which, like the Water Snakes, have a bad and undeserved reputation.

pitbulllady

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep North American Water Snakes, which are actually quite rare in captivity. Most people don't want anything to do with them. I've had an Indo-Chinese Rat Snake(Ptyas korros), a very nice snake, but he sadly passed away a few years ago and they are now extremely difficult to find in the US. I also keep Coachwhips, another snake that a lot of people dislike and tend to avoid keeping, which, like the Water Snakes, have a bad and undeserved reputation.

pitbulllady
I've never really considered water snakes. I would be open to them.

---------- Post added 02-17-2015 at 01:15 AM ----------

I keep H.gigas , A.prasina, and P.baroni.
Thanks for the Latin name for Baron's racer. I remember seeing a photo of one a while back and not being able to identify what it was. How's the temperament of yours?

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
I do.. Some of my snakes have become so numerous I sometimes need to feed a few hatchlings to my scops owls, hedgehogs and asiatic coralsnakes just to keep the number down.

My personal favorites are my Ptyas luzonensis, Chrysopelea variabilis and Oligodon ancorus.. I also have green and yellow Ahaetulla prasinas among others

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've never really considered water snakes. I would be open to them.

---------- Post added 02-17-2015 at 01:15 AM ----------

Thanks for the Latin name for Baron's racer. I remember seeing a photo of one a while back and not being able to identify what it was. How's the temperament of yours?
Mines a bit flighty at first but calms quickly. Has never struck or pooped on me. One of my more tolerant snakes.

Aviara

Arachnoknight
I don't personally own these, but I volunteer at our town's Nature Center and have had the pleasure of caring for and interacting with a few species of native water snakes - both pretty grumpy but certainly not unmanageable, I would imagine with frequent handling water snakes would tame down nicely. My favorite snake at the center, however, is their Eastern indigo. He is a very friendly, inquisitive snake and it is such a privilege to be able to interact with him. The Center of course owns a variety of milksnakes, kingsnakes, ratsnakes and other Colubrids, many of which are hand-tame and frequently interact with guests. Rear-fang venomous snakes and native Colubrids are hands-down my favorites.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got a Lampropeltis triangulum andesiana. Awesome snakes, but you don't see too many of them around.

eminart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have one eastern indigo snake (drymarchon couperi). Not exotic (here anyway) but somewhat rare in the pet trade due to the permits involved and relatively high cost.