What happened

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can someone tell me what happened here? I bred my P. vitatta and I know she was gravid. I wasn't sure if she was going to molt before she laid a sack because she stopped taking food a little while ago. I found her on her back stretched out, I thought she was molting and left her alone. She hadn't moved at all an hour later so I checked on her and it was pretty clear she passed. Was she trying to molt but too gravid to successfully start? She was very heavy. She had plenty of water, I even flooded the cage two days ago to try and induce her to lay the sack.

Can someone tell me how to breed T's properly because apparently I'm doing it wrong..

(Also Happy Valentines Day everyone)

DSC07924.jpg

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You only left her alone for an hour, what made you think she was dead? I have had a G. porteri lay on it's back for 10+ hours before starting to actually molt, they aren't the same species, sure, but they still can take a while.

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She is completely 100% unresponsive...
Even if they were in molt they would have some sort of slight movement

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had been feeding her like normal. Maybe once every one or two weeks. Maybe I should have fed her more because she was gravid but she was already huge.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I always quit feeding once a female is good and gravid looking. From there it just takes humidity and temperature to talk them into dropping.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a near mature female vitatta up and die while back, no curl ,not fat just died ,sometimes just happens for no reason it seems

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hard to say really. You would think she would stop eating if she wasnt hungry. But i had an adult female H. incei rupture her abdomen from overeating. Maybe spiders can become eggbound. It would be rough to pinpoint it.
Okay, so it could have been overfeeding that did it?

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She did stop eating maybe 3 weeks ago, I can't really remember how long ago. I hadn't offered her anything since then.
I hadn't thought of eggbound. I wouldn't know how to tell if that's what happened.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I had a presumed gravid P fera suddenly die on me about a year ago, and it made me wonder about the possibility of spiders becoming eggbound.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
Did she loose a leg at some point? One looks really thin? Hopefully poec54 will see this thread soon he might be able to give some insight

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Oh, not very long at all.
Nope. She put on quite a bit of weight, was pooping regularly and had just begun turning down food. Then i came home from work one day and she was just limp on the bottom of her enclosure. Really sucked big time.

edit - actually, thinking about it, i think it was closer to three or four months.

Last edited:

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How strange and awful that this happens. It does suck, last time I had checked on her she seemed perfectly healthy and had normal behavior.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I think she was premolt, and had an internal problem as the new exoskeleton was forming. I doubt it was egg related, although it's possible. I've had fat, healthy spiders go premolt and die. They're just limp and motionless, no sign of an injury or trauma. It happens.